ATA/66, ATA/100 and RAID 0

G

I am upgrading my computer and my next purchase is a new hard drive. I know I will buy a Maxtor with 7200 rpm and at least 30 gigs.

I would like to know if their is much of a noticable difference between ATA/66 and ATA/100 to spend the extra cash.

(My controller on my ASUS A7V133 is ATA/100 and RAID 0 compliant.)

Also is RIAD 0 worth the time and cash if all i plan to do is play 3D games?

Remember...Chixs dig guys who drive cars with big engines! :cool: !

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Nope - nothing you'll notice real world, unless you play with really large files. If your idea of really large files is hundreds of MB - don't worry. If it is measured in GB, then start thinking RAID. More than that, get your SCSI hat on.

Since there is little difference between costs of 66 and 100 drive, might as well get the 100.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm not even sure you could find an ATA66 drive brand new from anywhere like CompUSA. You would have to go with a Computer shop of some sort or buy used? I agree peteb that the ATA100 is the better way to go. The price usually isn't made off of the transfer speed but the size and spin rate, right? Once Maxtor started shipping with the ATA100 drives they boxed them in ATA66 boxes and just put a sticker on the top saying "Get up to speed, now with ATA100" (or something like that). The prices were the same for that ATA100 7200rpm as the ATA66 7200rpm ... so I don't think it will matter either way!

Just giving my two cents. Take it easy! *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

TRENDING THREADS