Want to change the computer user information

Hello.

I have a computer that was used by another person for a
few weeks. When they loaded in everything, his name was
used.

I can use regedit to change the registered owner, and
that is fine, but all the files for current user are in
his name, which is not preferable.

Is there a way to change the computer over from his name
to my name without having all the programs and files get
confused? Or am I just locked into this?

Thanks,

Frustrated G
1 answer Last reply
More about want change computer user information

    The easiest way is to create a new profile in your name then copy the
    data from the old to new profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    Once you are sure all is OK, the old profile can be safely deleted
    from User Accounts.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "frustrated" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have a computer that was used by another person for a
    > few weeks. When they loaded in everything, his name was
    > used.
    >
    > I can use regedit to change the registered owner, and
    > that is fine, but all the files for current user are in
    > his name, which is not preferable.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the computer over from his name
    > to my name without having all the programs and files get
    > confused? Or am I just locked into this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frustrated G

Configuration Computers Microsoft Customization Windows XP