Sign in with
Your question

Choosing between reference 7970s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2012 9:16:50 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the XFX 7970 and the VisionTek 7970.

The XFX has a 2 year limited warranty, while the VisionTek has a lifetime warranty. Both are the same price.

I've never dealt with either of these companies in the past--any recommendations on which to choose?

Also, would you recommend that I wait for a non-reference design? I'm super antsy to get this as I'm upgrading from a 4870 512mb, but I'm wondering if I should wait it out... What do you think?

a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 11:49:19 PM

Honestly non-reference designs are almost always better but if you're ready to buy you should go for it. The reference design is pretty good, if a bit loud at load. Either of the cards you mentioned should be fine- I personally have more familiarity and comfort with XFX but I wouldn't shy away from the VisionTek if it was a better deal.

Longer warranty is a good deal for you if you plan to keep the card longer than 2 years. The peace of mind goes a long way!
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 1:34:03 AM

^+1
The peace of mind plus the life time warranty would be the selling point with me not so with Vision Tek as a brand. Does Evga have any out yet? That would be the one I would get. Life time warranty with them. Good luck to ya
m
l
January 11, 2012 1:38:38 AM

evga=nvidia
m
l
!