Sign in with
Your question

Where is the bottleneck in this build?

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2012 3:26:26 PM

Case: HAF 922
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS - LGA 2011 - X79 - 4 way GeFore SLI/Quad CrossFireX Support
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX (4x4)
HDD: (2) Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III 6 Gb/s 1TB @7200
Video Cards: (4) Radeon HD3450 512MB
Power Supply: Seasonic 620W Modular Active PFC Retail 80 Plus Bronze
Monitors: (8) ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch LED

Unfortunately, I'm required to run Windows XP, and i'm also required to build an 8 minitor rig. So, I need a motherboard that will support 4 dual port video cards that support windows XP. If there are recommendations for better dual video cards that I can substitute, that are also windows XP compatible....I'd love to hear them. While the motherboard supports the 4way video card connections...i won't be using the functionality as I will just be extending my desktp to 8 monitors

Otherwise, are there any obvious bottlenecks that i am not seeing? Is the 620W power supply enough?

The whole rig (including monitors) will cost about 3200 USD in my amazon shopping cart right now. Is there anyway I can save some money and still get the same performance?

More about : bottleneck build

March 15, 2012 3:28:18 PM

Build looks good, I really do not see a bottleneck anywhere.
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:32:34 PM

The 620W is more than enough. If you want you could even downgrade to a 500 W
m
l
Related resources
a c 168 V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 3:56:21 PM

Most Radeon video cards have 1-2 dual link DVI outputs, at least one HDMI output and at least 1-2 display port outputs as well. You shouldn't need to use 3450s

EDIT: displayport is pin compatible with DVI, adapters are cheap
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 3:56:23 PM

SSD is about the only thing that would improve performance some.
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:57:50 PM

It looks like he probably doesn't even need an SSD.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:20:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
Most Radeon video cards have 1-2 dual link DVI outputs, at least one HDMI output and at least 1-2 display port outputs as well. You shouldn't need to use 3450s

EDIT: displayport is pin compatible with DVI, adapters are cheap

The 3450's only cost $67 per card. Is there a better alternative...and is there something "wrong" with the 3450? I really don't know much about video cards, so i got here mostly by chance searching for windows XP compatible video cards.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:23:32 PM

What are you using this system for?

You could build a lower end system say a I-2500k and substitute a low end ATI FirePro card for the multi monitor support. ATI's Firepro cards are capable of multiple screens.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:26:17 PM

BTW unless you are using windows XP 64 bit, you will not need 16 megs of ram.

32 bit XP cannot recognize more then 3.5 gigs.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:29:45 PM

spookyman said:
What are you using this system for?

You could build a lower end system say a I-2500k and substitute a low end ATI FirePro card for the multi monitor support. ATI's Firepro cards are capable of multiple screens.

I'm building an 8 monitor trading PC that has to run specific windows XP only software (doesn't run in windows 7...nor in the win 7 XP mode). Windows XP only supports 2 video outputs per video card. Most of the new multiple output video cards i've seen online only say they support windows 7..they don't mention anything about windows XP...which i've taken to mean as "not supported." This is why i selected the 3450...because it specifically says it supports XP, and it has 2 digital outputs. I'd prefer a "better" graphics card....but haven't been able to find one that supports XP. Anybody know of a better video card than the 3450 that supports XP ?
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:39:18 PM

I was just looking at the AMD Radeon website...and after looking at all the video cards they sell...i don't understand the difference between their cards...for example..in the 6000 series...they have 11 video cards...and the descriptions all read almost exactly the same...how am I supposed to know which one to use?
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:19:16 AM

macrotrader said:
I'm building an 8 monitor trading PC that has to run specific windows XP only software (doesn't run in windows 7...nor in the win 7 XP mode). Windows XP only supports 2 video outputs per video card. Most of the new multiple output video cards i've seen online only say they support windows 7..they don't mention anything about windows XP...which i've taken to mean as "not supported." This is why i selected the 3450...because it specifically says it supports XP, and it has 2 digital outputs. I'd prefer a "better" graphics card....but haven't been able to find one that supports XP. Anybody know of a better video card than the 3450 that supports XP ?

Are you absolutely certain that XP only supports 2 monitors per card? I know for a fact that it supports up to 10 in total but am not certain how that is parititioned

EDIT: looks like it does, here's a good FAQ http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:59:50 AM

drop your ram to 4 gigs unless you are going to use Windows xp 64 bit
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 4:50:06 AM

build a win 7 pro machine and since it wont run the XP program in XP mode

use a VM

Ditch the 4 graphics cards and use one [ or two] with multiple connectors .
m
l
!