Sign in with
Your question

How can XFX sale discrete graphics card with mobile components

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2012 9:51:47 PM

Hello,
I have been wondering if XFX can legally sale cards as discrete graphics but when you open them up you find out that they have mobile components. I experienced many days of head aches trying to find a driver for my 2 4850 cards only to realize that it was never a driver issue. it turns out that the reason my 2 4850 would not update to the 11 cat drivers or overclock at all past there stock speed is because they were never made with the RV770 chip that was supposed to be in them instead My cards were made with the M98 chip that goes into laptops and because of this the only way the cards can be used with a current driver is to flash the card with a bios made for a different card. i did not pay for a laptop gpu so how could they sale me that. and how many people have they done this to, they are very carefull not to even respond to this practice and after hearing about so many other people buying new cards and opening them just to see that there card is made from used components is appalling. but my parts were not used they were laptop parts. can we as consumers do anything about this or will my new 7000 series cards be made using mobile components and there is nothing i can do. and my XFX cards are the only cards made this way .. my HIS 5870 is perfect. Please advise or are we doomed to never get what we pay for and just have to live with it?
January 11, 2012 9:46:26 PM

you've got to be the same d-bag that's been smearing newegg's reviews on all the XFX cards and getting "2 of 56 people have found this review helpful" because this comment is in a couple reviews verbatim.

quit trying to smear XFX because you either can't afford it or are an Nvidia fanboi. Google turns up nothing else about this other than your copy/paste story on multiple sites
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 11:08:03 PM

The M98 was a mobile board made with RV770 chips, there is no such thing as an m98 chip....
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 1:03:32 PM

Dude... are you feeling okay?
Me thinks you need one serious lie down, perhaps infront of a train?

There is no M98 Chip...?
m
l
January 12, 2012 3:11:39 PM

REALLY
ive not been called a liar in a long long time but anyway i guess seiing is believing so since i have no loyalty to any particular manufacture but i do want the truth to be known i will paste my proof of what i was sold and no you dont need to apologize to me just answer the question of how xfx could do this

to many people rise up to defend a lie when the truth is the truth theres your proof that xfx sold me a fraud card and please explain how they can do this

also if that is not good enough i have an entire service ticket from xfx in which i accuse them and they know and they cannot deny it

also i have never had trouble using google to find information but since you did not find it on google i will post a link to a website that reviewed the mobile 4850 with the gpu codename m98 -that as you can see is in my discreat grafix card.

thank you

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...

YES I STUPIDLY PURCHASED 2 OF THEM and i know people usually never show their real upc codes but what good are they to me as this company seriously ripped me off and i guess i will be stuck with them

Only have 1 box to show as i sent the other into them and who knows if they will send my box back

m
l
January 12, 2012 8:54:24 PM

The M98 was a mobile gpu in laptops that used the same RV770 core that the 4850 does. My guess is that there was a surplus of M98's and they were given to XFX and other brands to use. They came up with the HD-485X-ZNFC. It's a desktop card similar to the full fledged 4850 (HD-485X-ZDFC) but downclocked and cheaper.

You should've done a little research as to why the ZNFC was cheaper and slower clocked than the HD-485X-ZDFC. It'd be like buying a GTX 460 SE and wondering why it's not as fast as everyone else's GTX 460. The difference in my analogy is just that it's a lower binned chip in the SE (so I'm told) instead of another chip based on the full fledged 460.

Here's a source stating that the M98 uses the RV770: http://www.techpowerup.com/68008/ATI_M98_The_Fastest_Mo...
m
l
January 12, 2012 9:16:41 PM

I thank you for your link but i know that the M98 is a mobile chip and that it belongs in laptops.
The discrete 4850 should be able to overclock to atleast 4870 stock performance as they both use RV770, but the M98 performance according to the link i supplied is equal to about a 4830. The card i purchased is a discrete 4850 which cost almost twice the price of a 4830.

If i was an OP "OPulence" i would just chuck the cards and buy new ones, but i am not.I just want to get what i paid for which is a discrete 4850, as my Grafix cards box, and my receipt states " it does not say anywhere on my box that this card may contain mobile or laptop components.

Which is why my question is how can XFX sale discrete Grafix Cards with mobile components? is this normal for people to buy discrete cards with mobile components or is this a fluke.

also the bios that XFX wants to flash the card with is 485XZNF98 not a 485XZDFC because the current drivers will not install on this manufactured card they want to change it to the other to get the drivers to install.
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:06:13 PM

Well you kind of did get what you paid for. Like I said, the 485xZNFC is the one that uses the mobility chip based on the RV770 and the 485XZDFC is the one that uses the full RV770 and can overclock to 4870 stock performance.

Here's what you bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's the full 4850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I feel for you, but I'm sure it was cheaper than the full 4850 and you scooped it up. Several people in the reviews are saying the exact same thing you're saying... it's built with Mobility 4850 GPU.

Both of these cards are discontinued at Newegg and no longer sold, so your argument of how can they do this is moot - they're no longer doing it, it's an old generation card.

Nvidia did it years ago with the 9600 GSO. It was a re-badged GeForce 8800 GS, which in turn was a handicapped GeForce 8800 GT based on G92, sporting 96 of its 128 available shaders. later changed its 9600 GSO by using the 9600 GT's G94 GPU, stripping it down to 48 shader processors, and leaving its 256-bit memory bus intact. Performance dropped when they did this. It's in an article on the frontpage of TH today:
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/578-Radeon-GeF...
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:36:28 PM

Your link shows how i am not the only one going through this. XFX sold discrete Grafix cards made with Mobile components. so every one who purchased this model card has gone through the same nightmare as me.
I dont believe that every time a product has multiple prices or goes on sale it is because they were made incorrectly, as grafix cards and computer components will always fluctuate in price.But that does not give them the right to package a mobile gpu into a Discrete card body and sell it as if its the real thing.
My support ticket with xfx was started 10/11 they are just sending the card back 1/12 i have been without one of my cards for 3 months.

You also said they are no longer doing this.... well i never new or would have thought they ever were doing this in the first place.

If they will make cards with laptop parts it needs to be printed clearly on the box. but why on earth are they making cards that way. and is this a fluke. or is this normal it appears to me there is no way to find out. Because your link shows a lot of people got screwed.
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:34:00 PM

my links show that there are two cards and that yours wasn't made unintentionally or mistakenly. It was a lower priced lower clocked card. When there's two products and one is cheaper and clocked differently, and has a whole different cooler on it, it's probably a different product.

They're not "no longer doing" this, they're "no longer making/selling" it. Making an underclocked cheaper version of something is common. I mentioned the GTX460 SE which is a current example and the 9600 GSO of yesteryear.

It's not a fluke, you purchased a card that was intentionally designed to give someone an option that's close to the 4850 while not costing as much as the 4850.
m
l
January 13, 2012 2:23:19 AM

rwbronco said:
my links show that there are two cards and that yours wasn't made unintentionally or mistakenly. It was a lower priced lower clocked card. When there's two products and one is cheaper and clocked differently, and has a whole different cooler on it, it's probably a different product.

They're not "no longer doing" this, they're "no longer making/selling" it. Making an underclocked cheaper version of something is common. I mentioned the GTX460 SE which is a current example and the 9600 GSO of yesteryear.

It's not a fluke, you purchased a card that was intentionally designed to give someone an option that's close to the 4850 while not costing as much as the 4850.

(RWBRONCO) I am going to assume you do not work for XFX even tho you seem to keep trying to justify what was done by saying another card was designed like that before,and i got a good price.

But I really hope you donot work for XFX because if you do then you are stating to me that my discreet 4850 was intentionally designed to look like a 4850 , packaged and sold as a 4850 but was actualy made with the mobile laptop GPU and sold at a discount price so that any poor sucker who thought they purchased a legit discreet card at a good price really deserved to be ripped off for thinking that they just got a good deal.

and your link to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... has a feed back comment page full of many who purchased this and are saying that this card was misrepresented by XFX and is really a mobility card sold as a discreet grafix card. and i think most of the people commenting on that feedback page would like to have been sold what they believed they were buying "Or is it that in your eye's maybe all of us are just wrong"

also when you first posted on this thread you called me a D-bag and a few others said the chip sold to me did not exist
but only after i posted my proof did you agree with me and admit it was a mobility Gpu that should have been in a laptop

So tell me should people know the truth or should we act like it does not matter any more because XFX already has my money
and i just need to live with this and hope that they are not doing this practice anymore,or as you put it "research any card i buy in the future more because i should have known they were using laptop GPU'S in the cards.

I guess i was just a moron for thinking grafix card prices vary based on memory and cooling options - not because XFX would use mobility parts in a discreet Card and if the price is not as high as the other option then that must be why.

I asked why ...... why did XFX do this, and how could they do this, and all you did was deny it, call me names, and make excuses for them...Which is why i think you may work for them, but i hope you donot because your post would be admitting Guilt, and even the XFX workers on my support ticket that I opened would not do that..they could not deny it, but made sure to avoid admitting to it.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:05:16 AM

SaintMike said:
I guess i was just a moron for thinking grafix card prices vary based on memory and cooling options

I cut out the rest of your comment because i agree with everyone else. Computer components should be researched just like researching a car to find out if there's a defect. Although they may have used a mobile GPU, your the one who didn't find out first why there was a difference. Pontiac doesn't announce in big bold letters that one of their sunfires made several months before another has a difficult to change rad with weaker piping. But the information is easy enough to find if you look and ask first on the internet. The date of your post shows you weren't an early adopter so you can't blame it on that and good luck finding most computer companies who provide every single bit of information about their products if they don't feel it to be necessary for the average consumer.

rwbronco is also right about the under clocking, XFX wasn't the first person to use different components to make seperate lower performance video cards with similar names, but they make it known in the name or model number that they're doing so. Zantec, XFX, Sapphire are just some and in fact I'm sure most of the video card companies out there have done so. I just did a quick search and found Gigabyte and HIS made the same card.

Also coming from working in the particular field, I don't think the employees at XFX were even trained to understand the difference between the GPU's just this is the basic specs. While i don't work for them i have worked for similar companies who do the same thing. What person with the level of expertise to distinguish the difference would grace themselves with a job i'm sure pays just above minimum.

People also aren't calling you names for whats happened or whats said, it's how your going about saying it, you act like they're the worse company in the world with some conspiracy against the average american and that everyone should hate them for it. I just recently purchased an XFX card (my last purchase being a Sapphire card and no regrets against them) and I did do my research first and although the frame rates weren't what i expected with my sapphire card i can assure you after some searching i discovered why and corrected for it.

Your mad because you didn't get what you expected, it's understandable and you know what I'm not here to call you names, but your continuation on a thread like this is actually making you look like the jerk and in the name of saving face (yours in particular) you may wanna stop.
m
l
January 25, 2012 11:57:35 PM

jwunder said:
I cut out the rest of your comment because

Also coming from working in the particular field, I don't think the employees at XFX were even trained to understand the difference between the GPU's just this is the basic specs. While i don't work for them i have worked for similar companies who do the same thing. What person with the level of expertise to distinguish the difference would grace themselves with a job i'm sure pays just above minimum.

People also aren't calling you names for whats happened or whats said, it's how your going about saying it, you act like they're the worse company in the world with some conspiracy against the average american and that everyone should hate them for it. I just recently purchased an XFX card (my last purchase being a Sapphire card and no regrets against them) and I did do my research first and although the frame rates weren't what i expected with my sapphire card i can assure you after some searching i discovered why and corrected for it.

Your mad because you didn't get what you expected, it's understandable and you know what I'm not here to call you names, but your continuation on a thread like this is actually making you look like the jerk and in the name of saving face (yours in particular) you may wanna stop.

I cut out some of your comment.

Telling me that the employees are not trained to know the difference in the card Gpu's being used is a company issue that can be resolved by more training. I am not aware of the training policies of XFX and i have no reason to question their polcies or procedures in regard to training.

Text written on a computer does not show the true tone of voice that would be heard during a conversation so its interpretation may be misinterpreted, as we are all human. However when someone is told to "go lie down in front of a train" or that "they are a d-bag" that type of message tends to come across pretty straight forward.

I hoped not to appear to be a jerk when i stuck to facts, and explained that no apology was needed for the insults i received. but i guess some how you still managed to see me as a jerk and if that is the case. Well i cannot do anything about that.

When i replied to RWBRONCO I was more concerned about having my question answered. But he found links that existed on the web that solidified what i believed i was sold. Also I donot tend to buy reference model cards and i assume that is what you meant with the Early adopter phrase.

To try to clear any confusion. The Two cards that were listed in the links showed that i purchased the faster card. Both cards were clocked at core 625 but the memory of the HD-485X-ZNFC that i purchased was 4MHZ faster than the HD-485X-ZDFC, i did not buy the slower card. I felt no need to explain that as simply clicking on the links would have revealed that.

My computer case is a Azza Solano 1000 so i have a preference for cards that allow my side fan to cool the card as apposed to a reference design that typically will only use a blower. Early adoption reference cards are usually made with blowers, but later various manufacturers offer coolers that perform better than the reference model cooler and tend to be clocked faster.

If my gpu was not a laptop Gpu it would have been the superior card and a $20-$30 difference in price appears to be quite the norm.

" Toms hardware has an excellent post about mobile card performance vs desktop card performance"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990m-gef...

When you buy a desktop card it is supposed to be a desktop card - not a desktop card made with a Mobile Laptop Gpu's. The performance is not equal.
m
l
!