Crossfire problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I recently bought a hp computer with an a8 with a radeon 6550 integrated gpu and i bought a radeon 6570 thinking i could crossfire or enable both of them and cant figure it out

Solution

Yeah, it is.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03005744&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c03005744/loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5157039&task=#N412

If you check under the video graphics/integrated graphics tab, it says "*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.". This is probably a motherboard or BIOS limitation, that APU should work with a 6570 otherwise. I don't know if there's any way around it.

Maybe you'll be lucky and get someone with a brain at HP customer service who might know how to enable it.

solindvian

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need 2 physical cards of identical type in order to crossfire. You plug them both into the motherboard and use a crossfire bridge to connect them to each other. You are better off disabling the integrated and only using the physical card alone.

larkspur

Distinguished
I'm not sure never done it - but what you are doing is indeed supposed to work. You won't need an XFire bridge. You need to check in BIOS if there is a "Dual-GPU" or "Dual-Graphics" option - this needs to be enabled. Then AMD Vision Control Center should allow you to enable Crossfire provided you've installed it with the driver package and all - also install the Catalyst CrossfireX Application profiles.

TPratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
i've searched through my BIOS it's extremely limited to what you can do in it I don't understand why HP has to lock you out of everything, but I have downloaded the profiles and it still refuses to recognize both of them

larkspur

Distinguished

Yes I really do dislike OEMs. You might want to try completely removing your graphics drivers and then re-installing them (with the card plugged in of course). Hopefully someone who has done it will respond with better advice!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Most OEMs lock their product. They don't want the average person poking around and messing up the BIOS. Does the manual say how they expect you to enable crossfire? I'd assume if they sold you the model as a dual graphics solution, they'd have a way for it to work.

TPratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I still can't figure it out, I'm pretty sure my problem is the BIOS and if it is i'm going to hate hp for being so stupid and never buy any of their crap again

TPratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure the new card disabled the on-board one i can't find it anywhere on my computer except in windows updates and i tried to update it and it failed and said it didn't exist or wasn't plugged in, but if i take the new card out it works just fine

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

They should both be listed in device manager under display adapters. You should only have one display plugged in, and usually on the motherboards output. If you haven't already, try using the latest catalyst drivers. If you still aren't getting both being recognized as devices, see if there's any way to flash the BIOS. If you've never updated a BIOS before, follow the instructions carefully, a corrupt BIOS is bad.

What's the model number of the HP?

TPratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
it doesnt work, and with that note hp is now the worst company to ever buy a computer from, and i will make sure to let everyone know not to buy one and i really hope they tank and go under

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Yeah, it is.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03005744&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c03005744/loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5157039&task=#N412

If you check under the video graphics/integrated graphics tab, it says "*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.". This is probably a motherboard or BIOS limitation, that APU should work with a 6570 otherwise. I don't know if there's any way around it.

Maybe you'll be lucky and get someone with a brain at HP customer service who might know how to enable it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.