Problem with computer, I know temporary fix, need permanent solution.

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I have a home built system, I think it'll help to list the specs

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme (was on offer)
CPU: i7 920 @ default clocks/voltages (I reset because was trying to find out why computer was experiencing issues)
GPU: GTX 570 @ default clocks/voltages (reason above)
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 Patriot Viper @ default clocks/voltages (reason above)
S. Card: Creative X-FI Titanium

So basically, the issues I experience are that:

■ Random shutdowns, irrelevant to computer usage. It has shutdown when gaming, youtubing, idling. Shutdowns used to happen about once a week, now it's almost daily, becoming increasingly frequent.

■ If I turn it on any time after a random shutdown (immediately to many days) the PC doesn't boot up fully. The fans don't spin up, the HDD light is always on and not flashing, the LED on the motherboard shows that it freezes on POST. My motherboard shows which part of the POST sequence the computer is at; on the usual CPU > DRAM > GPU > Boot Device sequence, the LED stays on CPU.

To get the PC up and running again after a random shutdown, I need to unplug and plug back in the 24 pin ATX plug. This will always work immediately after a random shutdown and any time after that. My computer has never recovered from a random shutdown without the re-plugging in of the 24 pin ATX plug.

I think the issue is the power supply.

How long are PSU warranties usually? I can probably request a replacement if they're no shorter than 2 years. I hope it's the PSU and not anything else.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

A sign of a defective PSU. Buy a new PSU. Look for the receipts if it's still under warranty period.

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Corsair gave me a 5 year warranty. I'm under manufacturer warranty. It's been about 14 months since I bought this from OverclockersUK, do you think they will handle a replacement for me?

I'd prefer to get a replacement from them because it'll probably be quicker.

also, I don't have the original box or manuals or anything that came with it, how do you think that will affect the return/replacement?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Don't worry about the box, call them, email them, tell them you need a replacement and that your PSU still under warranty period. Maybe they are going ask you the serial number of, date of purchase etc...