Sign in with
Your question

Rig Building (Noob question) PSU + Case and Naming GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2012 10:42:29 PM

Hey guys,

This is a noob set of questions but wanted to ask them.

My case is arriving soon (SWEET!!!!!!!!!!) and I already have the psu. This site

is awesome knowledge resource. Can I install the psu with the case (without mobo nor other parts) and get that going as much as possible?

Also, this seems like a lame question and it's irrelevant to the rig assembly but it's important. When I list the parts to my rig when I list (for example ) the gpu what would I say?

I'm definitely getting the
GIGABYTE
Model
GV-N440D3-1GI
NVIDIA
GPU
GeForce GT 440 (Fermi)
Core Clock
830MHz (Std 810)
Shader Clock
1660MHz
Stream Processors

It's affordable. Splendid reviews. It runs great games at high fpses (it's not bleeding edge for sure, bu it's exactly what I want and need. It has all three display ports) such and awesome gpu, and affordability is key. Awesome! Some people might think that gpu is lame, but I'm proud of it and it does exactly what I need/want. Awesome! But how would I list it?

GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB Coreclock-830mhz

or some thing else? I guess I can include whatever information I wanted, and I guess whatever is typically included isn't too important, just wondered. Thanks.
a c 253 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 10:51:04 PM

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 440 1GB
Like so , we don't need all that other stuff.
When you get the case it might be a good idea to wait for the motherboard , it will have the most connections on it and you will be able to see where everything is and then you can neatly run your cables. Unless you have a completely modular psu then by putting it in first your cables will be in the way for the motherboard.

m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 11:02:36 PM

Quote:
Can I install the psu with the case (without mobo nor other parts) and get that going as much as possible?

You COULD I suppose but to me It's always easiest to install the motherboard first.In fact I usually do the power supply last.

1) Install the CPU and RAM on the motherboard then put the board in the case ( make sure to use the standoffs ).
2) Install hard and optical drives.
3) Install the video card.
4) Add any extra fans and wire the front case connections. Add the hard drive cables.
5) Then add the power supply so I can keep the cables neat, using wire ties for good case airflow.
6) Check that all connections have been wired correctly and install Windows.

I don't really do that in 6 steps or anything I just usually do things in that order. It helps me make sure I don't forget anything and helps keep the inside of the case nice and neat.

If you were lising your video card I would just say a GT440 or a Gigabyte GT440.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2012 6:29:52 PM

inzone said:
GIGABYTE GeForce GT 440 1GB
Like so , we don't need all that other stuff.
When you get the case it might be a good idea to wait for the motherboard , it will have the most connections on it and you will be able to see where everything is and then you can neatly run your cables. Unless you have a completely modular psu then by putting it in first your cables will be in the way for the motherboard.

That makes sense because i guess one could lookup the clock speed, shader clock speed, and would know it's nvidia, from the geforce gt 440 1gb .

are there non-gigabyte GeForce GT 440 1GBs gpus??

thanks for the tips on the psu. "completely modular"? well all cables are attached to the modular/compact "cube" psu, but it has a whole web of cables .

thanks.
m
l
January 14, 2012 6:32:34 PM

anort3 said:
Quote:
Can I install the psu with the case (without mobo nor other parts) and get that going as much as possible?

You COULD I suppose but to me It's always easiest to install the motherboard first.In fact I usually do the power supply last.

1) Install the CPU and RAM on the motherboard then put the board in the case ( make sure to use the standoffs ).
2) Install hard and optical drives.
3) Install the video card.
4) Add any extra fans and wire the front case connections. Add the hard drive cables.
5) Then add the power supply so I can keep the cables neat, using wire ties for good case airflow.
6) Check that all connections have been wired correctly and install Windows.

I don't really do that in 6 steps or anything I just usually do things in that order. It helps me make sure I don't forget anything and helps keep the inside of the case nice and neat.

If you were lising your video card I would just say a GT440 or a Gigabyte GT440.

Thanks for the sequence!! that seems logical. How would one ensure there's good airflow?

you'd install hdd and drives before gpu? i think i would definitely do ram and cpu on mobo and then prob gpu? than then drives and fans.

anyways. good insights into sequence of assembly. thanks!
m
l
January 14, 2012 6:38:02 PM

here's an interesting sequence of assembly question.
i
would it be feasible (or impossible or unwise) to assemble all things except gpu?

like get teh case, mobo, ram, cpu, psu, and drives and peripherals and OS going and then get the gpu?

the only reason why ask because having to save up for parts and if that was possible I could start using the pc sooner.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 7:12:37 PM

johntkucz said:
Hey guys,

This is a noob set of questions but wanted to ask them.

My case is arriving soon (SWEET!!!!!!!!!!) and I already have the psu. This site

is awesome knowledge resource. Can I install the psu with the case (without mobo nor other parts) and get that going as much as possible?

Also, this seems like a lame question and it's irrelevant to the rig assembly but it's important. When I list the parts to my rig when I list (for example ) the gpu what would I say?

I'm definitely getting the
GIGABYTE
Model
GV-N440D3-1GI
NVIDIA
GPU
GeForce GT 440 (Fermi)
Core Clock
830MHz (Std 810)
Shader Clock
1660MHz
Stream Processors

It's affordable. Splendid reviews. It runs great games at high fpses (it's not bleeding edge for sure, bu it's exactly what I want and need. It has all three display ports) such and awesome gpu, and affordability is key. Awesome! Some people might think that gpu is lame, but I'm proud of it and it does exactly what I need/want. Awesome! But how would I list it?

GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB Coreclock-830mhz

or some thing else? I guess I can include whatever information I wanted, and I guess whatever is typically included isn't too important, just wondered. Thanks.

Whatever you do, make sure you install mounting bracket for the cpu cooler on the motherboard before you install the motherboard in the case.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 8:16:10 PM

johntkucz said:
here's an interesting sequence of assembly question.
i
would it be feasible (or impossible or unwise) to assemble all things except gpu?

like get teh case, mobo, ram, cpu, psu, and drives and peripherals and OS going and then get the gpu?

the only reason why ask because having to save up for parts and if that was possible I could start using the pc sooner.

It depends on if you have integrated graphics or not. Since you did not list your full specs I have no way of knowing.

If you do have integrated graphics then sure you can always add the graphics card when you get it. If you do not have integrated graphics then no, since you will have no display there will be no way to install Windows.

You will have good airflow by having a case with a decent number of fans. Also not having a mess of wires hanging everwhere helps. This is what I was referring to. Good cable management. There are some good guides on youtube to give you an idea on how to build a "clean" looking computer.
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 11:41:21 PM

With air flow inside the case everything is inportant and the cables are thin wires but if there are enough of them they will disrupt the air flow and you also want to make sure that the case has the proper fans blowing in and out. You don't want to have them all blowing in or all blowing out.
m
l
!