USB 3.0 PCI-E card -- Renesas/NEC driver failing to install

Upgrader3

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
eMachines T3522 / Windows XP Home
Mobo: Intel® Desktop Board D915GUX
Card: Generic 4-port USB 3.0 PCI-E (with NEC uD720701 chip)
Slot: PCI-Express x1

The WinXP "Add Hardware Wizard" indicates that the "Univeral Serial Bus (USB) Controller" is physically present, but also indicates "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".

When I try to install the driver, the installation begins normally but then aborts with...

"Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver Error
Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action
NotDisplayProperty script error
-2147024770, : Line 12 Column 1,"

and after clicking "OK" to the above, continues with...

"Feature Transfer error
Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation
Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information."

I have tried using the CD driver [Kit Version : 3.0.16.0 : March 29th, 2011], and I have also tried a driver [Version 2.1.28.1 dated 04/10/2012] that I downloaded from
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19880]

Any ideas on what is going wrong and how I can get my card up and running? ...thanks for your suggestions

G

I just spend 3 hours trying to solve the exact same issue on Windows 7 32-bit.
I finally found a solution, but it wasn't easy. Interestingly this solution is listed nowhere with regards to the NEC / Renesas drivers.
So, here's what worked for me:

Click the Start button > Programs or All Programs > Accessories.
Right-click 'Command Prompt.' and choose 'Run as administrator.'
Click OK.
For Vista x86: Type 'cd c:\windows\system32,' then Enter.
For Vista x64: Type 'cd c:\windows\SysWOW64,' then Enter.
Type 'regsvr32 jscript.dll', then Enter.
Type 'regsvr32 vbscript.dll', then Enter.
Type 'exit', then Enter to close the command prompt.

I actually found this as a solution to a Google AdWord installation problem, which was giving the same error message:
http://support.google.com/adwords/editor/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100159

Running these steps, launching the installer again worked for me. Hope it does for you and many others.
Cheers
Sylvain Bertolus

sook_82

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I finally found a solution, but it wasn't easy. Interestingly this solution is listed nowhere with regards to the NEC / Renesas drivers.

Click OK.

I actually found this as a solution to a Google AdWord installation problem, which was giving the same error message:
http://support.google.com/adwords/editor/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100159

Running these steps, launching the installer again worked for me. Hope it does for you and many others.
Cheers
Sylvain Bertolus

that is a dump reply, you're talking about windows 7 then you put vista ?? u must be smoking on some strong *** mate

herculesx

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Your Vista or So Called Win.7/64 Driver for the NEC USB 3.0 PCI-X Card Doesn't Work or even TRY TO WORK? Put the Bong Down this is Earth,Computers ,Renesas/NEC USB 3.0 Driver Trouble!!!
Herculesx

TonyHzNV

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Anonymous said:

Click OK.

http://support.google.com/adwords/editor/bin/answer.py?...

Cheers
Sylvain Bertolus

Thanks to Anonymous for this solution. I just purchased a Vantec brand PCIe 4-port USB 3.0 add-on card w/20 pin connector (model # UGT-PC345)from Newegg.com. Upon installation, I kept getting the following message "Error 2739. Could not access JavaScript run time for custom action". After clicking OK, I got the following: "Error 1603. Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows installer help (MSI.chm) or MSDN for more info". So, I googled the problem of the driver not installing and stumbled upon the solution above. I am running Win 7 Pro x64 with all the updates and the latest version of Java (7, update 25). I wasn't sure whether to do it in the [system32] folder or in the [SysWOW64] folder (since I'm running 64 bit Win7), so I did it in both locations, ran the driver installer again and this time it worked. I had read in some other thread where someone said that you could register the dlls manually, but not HOW to do that. THIS is how you do that. So, it worked for me as I'm sure it has for many others who have read the above solution, so hopefully if you're having this issue, you have found this website and Anon's great solution. Good luck!

schizovivek

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

i cannot thank u enough for this solution!
Had a Transcend pCI-e 3.0 card that uses the Renesas driver.
After following ur solution worked like a charm on my Windows 7 64 bit !

exhume

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

The above worked for me but I had to tweak it a bit to get it there.

Ran CMD as admin, navigated to

C:\Windows>cd syswow64
C:\Windows\SysWOW64>regsvr32 jscript.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64>regsvr32 vbscript.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64>cd..
C:\Windows>cd system32
C:\Windows\System32>regsvr32 vbscript.dll
C:\Windows\System32>regsvr32 jscript.dll

All 4 registered fine then in the same admin CMD window I navigated to the directory where the exe for the Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller was typed in the full name of the exe and ran it from within the admin CMD window. Installed no problem. So this fixed the error 2739 I was getting and now my USB3.0 drives are all present and accounted for. This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit custom system with an old Intel mobo.

- exhume

Flustivus

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
exhume said: "then in the same admin CMD window I navigated to the directory where the exe for the Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller was typed in the full name of the exe and ran it from within the admin CMD window."

For me, at least, there are two .exe files in that folder. Are you referring to nusb3utl.exe (USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility Program), or to nusb3mon.exe (USB 3.0 Monitor)?

ReZ4life

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I was having the same issue, loaded Windows 10 installed no problem, installed Windows 7 Pro 32 & 64 bit and no driver, downloaded SEVERAL drivers from NEC & RENESAS with no progress, FINALLY found the actual chipset product ID for the device, googled it and came to this. http://am.renesas.com/media/products/tools/introductory_evaluation_tools/starterkits_evaluation_boards/usb_3_demo_card/RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe

Downloaded it and it installed right away with no issues, Been working great since. MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL PREVIOUS DRIVERS IF YOU ALREADY TRIED, JUST UNINSTALL AND DELETE CURRENT DRIVER.

Hope this works for everyone

Jeff1963

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I'm running Windows 10 and didn't have any success with the more popular solution above. Then I ran the RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe installer (from Upgrader3's link above) and that got my NEC USB 3.0 ExpressCard working!

Thanks!