My CPU temp has major fluctuations

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012
lowidletemps.png

Hi i wanted to ask the community if my idle processor's temperature is normal.

If you cant see the picture, i have it idling all the way down to 6C, which is FAR lower than anything i have seen while searching on google. And I am still running a stock HSF...

with CPUZ up i watch the temps as i pulled up a program for example; OCCT. As it was pulled up, temps instantly jumped to 22C, stayed there for 3-4 seconds, then gradually fell back to a single digit.

Is my temp sensor broken?

When running OCCT on max load on my 4 cores, the max temp is 56C

and yes, this was happening before the overclock as well...

Any information is helpful :)

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012
is your ambient room temp higher then 6C (42F)? id hope it is... then that would lead me to believe it is a false reading from the CPU/mobo or software. generally idle temps for AMD are right around 25-30C so if your room is real cold or the computer is right next to a vent the 22C would be alot more believable.

it could be part of AMDs Cool and quiet (i think this is the one) where it will shutdown unused cores, underclock, or even undervolt the cpu while not in use... but it should still be right around your room temp. ie 20C is 68F...

edit just noticed on ur pic that the CPU voltage is at 0.96 and the max as 1.42... that is a big jump....

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Coretemp says my frequencies are 1409.39 while idle and it also agrees with 6C while idle

yeah im not sure if i like the fact that my voltage is jumping. shouldnt it stay the same? or is there a way to atleast set a safe limit so that i dont fry my chips?

but my overclock is to 4500 mhz, so obviously amd cool and quiet is turned on, actually i just saw the bios and it is

i am in a basement that is cooled to about 65F, maybe lower, so other than that and a nice open, clean area i cant really think of why its so low.

Do you guys have any concerns??

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

it looks like that may just be the built in low power states for that CPU... i would imagine if it is basically turning off your cpu and leaving the fan running full blast it could make the CPU very cold.. with it already being in a cold room could contribute. i was thinking wrong BTW cool and quiet effects your fan speeds not CPU operating factors.

Low power features
Core C0, C1, C1E, C6 and CC6 states (Drops clock speed and voltages to minimal)
Package S0, S3, S4 and S5 states
PowerNow!

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-4170%20FD4170FRW4KGU.html

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012
So we determined that the extremely low 6C is caused by AMD's cool and quiet and etc operations.
but when i actually start using it, my temps hit 20-30

It all makes sense thanks guys

TRENDING THREADS