PSU and Airflow for New GTX 480

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys, I know buying open box items are really a hit and miss when It comes to electronics. Some literally can be brand new that the seal was broken during shipping, some could have been shown off at a show, or on display. Some are even Refurbished products... but I couldn't let this deal slip. Ive been looking for a GPU around $140-$160 and I was just going to go with the HD6850 for $140. BUT THEN.

Newegg had an open box EVGA GTX 480 for $150 Free Shipping. I had to take the chance. If its a non-working item, I will know within a few days, and I have a warranty on it. Now...to my concern.

Im running this setup:

Mobo: ASrock 970 Extreme 3
CPU: Phenom II x4 945
GPU: GTS 250 (Yea... See why I needed a new one lol)
HD: 500gb Standard Brand name
Ram: 8gb 1333mhz
Case: NZXT M59

I just replaced my old shitty PSU for Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W, is this sufficient for it?

Next, My Case,

I have 2 120mm OEM fans installed. One in Back, One on Side Panel. I Personally Installed a 120mm Fan in the Front. With my 480 I ordered a 140mm for the top for exhaust.

Should I take advantage of the last 5th spot for a fan on top next to the 140mm, it would be another exhaust.

THANK YOU!

yes it's a good power supply and enough for 480-
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
and yes an exhaust fan on top would be good.

Hi obubdeno the GTX 480 is misunderstood and hated on allot by ATI fanboys because it's two years old and beats one of their newer favorite cards the R7850 so this post will likely get trolled and heated and childish before that happens i just want to tell you the gtx480 is a great card but it has it cons like any card does what i suggest is you replace the stock cooling with this GPU Cooler:GELID Solutions GC-VGA02-01 1 Ball, 1 Sleeve VGA Cooler ICY VISION
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426026&Tpk=gelid%20icy%20vision#top
after you do that it will run cool and you can OC it very easy past a GTX 580 level if my nine year old son can do it i am pretty sure anybody can lol good luck mate.

GTX 480 runs very hot, no matter how a proper airflow you have, best way to cool it is to grab an aftermarket cooler for it and the one suggested above is pretty good.

Oh one other thing please acknowledge you understand how much power 480 consumes or that will be the start of the trolling it will end up becoming a how can i save on my electric bill i simply can't all the more reason get a R7850 thread i sound crazy but it's true

I'm 5 years older than him, it's good to start him off with some knowledge about PC's. When I was 9, I think I was playing SSBB on the Wii with my friends. Know I'm just on steam and the forums [:lutfij:4]

That's true and yeah look at you now keep up the great work! :) P.S. I thought you were older than you are :lol: age is only a number though