Did I do a good Job?

Hey everyone, first time posting, and somewhat new hobby building and gaming. Just wanted to see if I did good on my first PC build!

Aerocool Syclone ii case (3 cs fans)
Asus p8p67 delux rev 3.0 w/ uefi bios
Intel i2600k (NO OC YET)
2x EVGA 550ti 1gb vid card on sli bridge
thermaltake 950w psu (modular)
corsair 2x4gb vengeance memory w/ corsair ram fan (buying 2 more sticks this weekend!)
cooler master hyper 212 cpu fan
fan controller w/ temp sensors in front bay
24x (i think) asus dvrw disk drive
hitachi 1tb HD

Let me know, please give some recommendations (with out being rude please). I want to sell this off and build a different one if this one is good

BTW- running latest games (SWTOR and BF3) flawlessly

Thanks everyone! -ScottyB
12 answers Last reply
More about good
  1. Which model of Thermaltake PSU?

Why did you decide to go with 2x GTX 550ti graphics cards?
  2. Should of went with a i5 2500k & put more money on your video cards and gotten 2x GTX 560 ti's

A 850w power supply would of done the job, no need for a 950w with 2x 550 ti's
  3. small typo, its a 850. and the black widow series- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Thermaltake-_-17153106

And I was reading about how dual graphics cards where getting better frame rates then then more expensive cards.
  4. Sbauer said:
    small typo, its a 850. and the black widow series- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Thermaltake-_-17153106

And I was reading about how dual graphics cards where getting better frame rates then then more expensive cards.

2x GTX 560 ti's would get better frames than 2x GTX 550 ti's

I have a GTX 560 ti Directcu ii TOP OC & I am planning to add another one, when Ivy-Bridge processors come out and have seen what they can do with a 3screen setup.

Next time, try to save as much money as you can, and save rest of the money & keep it for upgrades.

Recommended things you should of got:

Core i5 2500k
    2x GTX 560 ti's or to save money go with 2x ATI 6870's
  5. The money isn't really an issue, just nee to me. The i7 was recommended because of the ability for better graphics/ video editing (which my wife does) so I spent the extra money on it. I may try to pic up the 560ti this weekend and try it. Is there really a point if it runs this smooth on high res games tho? I am looking to invest in (3) 22" screens, can I utilize them with my card set up?
  6. Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU is essentially a renamed Thermaltake TR2 RX model that didn't get good reviews.
    It's not something I would have suggested you choose.
  7. Sbauer said:
    The money isn't really an issue, just nee to me. The i7 was recommended because of the ability for better graphics/ video editing (which my wife does) so I spent the extra money on it. I may try to pic up the 560ti this weekend and try it. Is there really a point if it runs this smooth on high res games tho? I am looking to invest in (3) 22" screens, can I utilize them with my card set up?

Oh that explains it, yeah the i7 is better for video editing :)

To be honest wait abit, and do not spend any more money

try the 3 screen setup, to see if you like the performance with those cards. If not then wait for the kepler series from nvidia.
  8. Sbauer said:
    Hey everyone, first time posting, and somewhat new hobby building and gaming. Just wanted to see if I did good on my first PC build!

Quote:
    Aerocool Syclone ii case (3 cs fans)

i don't know much about that case but i hope it's good.
    Quote:
    Asus p8p67 delux rev 3.0 w/ uefi bios

Asus boards are high quality.UEFI bios is a good feature.
    Quote:
    Intel i2600k (NO OC YET)

a really high end cpu.don't forget to OC....;)
    Quote:
    2x EVGA 550ti 1gb vid card on sli bridge

single 550ti can play crysis 2 at mid/high.Sli will do better.
    Quote:
    thermaltake 950w psu (modular)

if it's tough power grand then it's good otherwise most of the thermaltakes are low quality.
    Quote:
    corsair 2x4gb vengeance memory w/ corsair ram fan (buying 2 more sticks this weekend!)

enough for gaming.
    Quote:
    cooler master hyper 212 cpu fan

enough for 4ghz+
    Quote:
    fan controller w/ temp sensors in front bay
    24x (i think) asus dvrw disk drive
    hitachi 1tb HD

i have no idea but i hope they do fine.

Let me know, please give some recommendations (with out being rude please). I want to sell this off and build a different one if this one is good

BTW- running latest games (SWTOR and BF3) flawlessly

Thanks everyone! -ScottyB

change psu to something better like antec,xfx,enermax,corsair,etc if possible and sell your 550ti's for a sinlge powerful card.7870 is a good spot.other things are good.
  9. Use of "should of" indicates either that English is not your native language, or you failed to get a proper education. "Should've" is a contraction of "should have."
    /rant (sorry, that's a pet peeve)
    Anyway...I agree with most of the sentiments already expressed. It would not occur to me to put two weak GTX550Ti's in SLI. Your frame rates may be good, but you are probably seeing considerable microstutter. I would likely have chosen a single GTX560Ti; lower overall frame rate, but "good enough," and smoother. With Kepler due out, and HD78xx available for purchase soon too, I would not build another gamer just now until I saw some benchmarks of the new cards.
  10. ^ are you talking to me sir?
  11. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  12. All in all, good job, pretty nice build.

I would have gone with a Z68 based board (P8Z68-V/GEN3 since $$ isn't an issue).

You can still get an SSD (really worth it). I waited for a $70+ rebate:p.

Make sure to overclock that i7 (it's the right choice for video editing, and it won't hurt gaming :p)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product