GTX 580 vs 570 vs Quadro 4k+

starmarc

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Greetings and Happy New Year to all,

I am currently researching on piecing together a new system build used for HD video editing.

Without putting much thought other than "oh, more expensive is better" I blindly chose the Quadro 5000 as my video card for this potential new system.

After visiting the Adobe Forums, I have come to learn that the GTX570 would be a much, much, wiser choice. So I would like to get the opinions and advice from the great minds here as well.

I will be editing canon .h264 files (probably R3d files in the summer), do heavy After FX work/rendering AND will start a serious study on 3DS Max.

I am now leaning towards the GTX 580, well, because its more expensive then the 570 lol.

This will also be a system based on the i7 2600k/z68/32Gb configuration

Thanks in advance!!!!

cbrunnem

Distinguished
if your doing any HD texturing or high poly count modeling there is no choice but to go with a workstation card. that is what they are made for and any benefit from cuda a 580 would get you the equivalent workstation card has cuda as well.

janiashvili

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Actually, if you use Cuda cores and nothing else is much important buy GTX 580s(two and SLI them). Or, however, if you do extensively use 3ds max and other CAD/DCC apps, do buy one Quadro 4000 and two gtx 460s. Most important point about Quadro is drivers and ability to use Open GL on it's original performance(gaming cards don't use it at all).

I personally don't know how they(who does) use Quadro 4000 and gtx 460s at the same time, is SLI able to SLI them, but on other hand they have same GPU and similar chipset.

This will be cheaper than Quadro 5000, and much effective than GTX 580 or gtx 590.

You'll get many Cuda cores, huge stability and reliability. And more performance is not a question, you'll not need it usually, especially at studying basis. that's more than needed.

Unfortunately you can't get with much up-to-date AMD FirePros, their parallel processing units are not able to do anything, and only this is reason why you shouldn't go with them.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

its parallel computing not sli i believe. you can not sli a workstation gpu. they dont have the connectors. actually i think i saw 1 on newegg that did but mostly they dont.

also how can you run a 580 and a 5000 at the same time if they use different drivers?

janiashvili

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
teslas and many quadros have SLI http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/NvidiaTesla.jpg/800px-NvidiaTesla.jpg

but however, how to make "parallel computing" without directly connecting them with sli or motherboard built-in sli???

maybe you'll tell me that

They (with gtxes) have what I know quadros and gfxes with same processors (e.g. GF104) - so one Quadro 4000 and two 460GTXes. They install quadro drivers and use it as main thing.

However, can you explain bit more about parallel computing?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

when you use a gpu to help render, the gpu doesnt do all the work it helps. so how is having two gpus to help render different then 1?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

when a gpu is used to render it is not acting alone. its like a hybrid car, the engine and electric motor work together to get better milage but in the computers case the gpu and cpu work together to lower render times. gpu + cpu = gpu acceleration.