Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer won't turn on?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 15, 2012 8:54:20 PM

I received all of my parts from Newegg today, but it won't come on when I try to do a test boot. I have the 8-pin power cord plugged in as well as the 24-pin one. My motherboard's LED is on, but when I short the two power pins, nothing happens. Nothing shows up on the monitor and the CPU fan doesn't come on. What could be wrong?

Parts:
Intel i5-2500K
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Corsair 600 Watt PSU


Any ideas? P.S. I already went through the checklist posted.

More about : computer turn

March 15, 2012 9:06:46 PM

Unfortunately, it sounds like your PSU may be DOA. Have another one lying around you can test?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:08:22 PM

Is your RAM in?
Even if it wasn't, it would boot and give you error beeps. Weird.

^+1, contact newegg and RMA it.

Can you post the rest of your specs?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 9:10:38 PM

quicksand10 said:
Is your RAM in?
Even if it wasn't, it would boot and give you error beeps. Weird.

^+1, contact newegg and RMA it.

Can you post the rest of your specs?

Yes, I have 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 RAM installed. I don't think the rest of my specs matter as those are the only things installed right now. I shouldn't have to plug my GPU in, should I?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:17:56 PM

No, and even if you didn't it should at least boot and start spinning the CPU fan, HDD and etc.
Try leaving only one stick of RAM and boot...

Do you have another PSU, so you can confirm that the Corsair is DOA?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:18:06 PM

xspectrum said:
Yes, I have 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 RAM installed. I don't think the rest of my specs matter as those are the only things installed right now. I shouldn't have to plug my GPU in, should I?

You can boot without a GPU.
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:19:05 PM

willard said:
You can boot without a GPU.

That's what I thought. So, do I need to RMA my power supply?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:30:30 PM

Yeah... Contact newegg.com

1 800 390-1119

They should take it back no problem...
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 9:40:19 PM

quicksand10 said:
Yeah... Contact newegg.com

1 800 390-1119

They should take it back no problem...

I just did the "paper clip" test suggested on Corsair's website and it passed.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 1:36:06 AM

willard said:
Unfortunately, it sounds like your PSU may be DOA. Have another one lying around you can test?

I bought another PSU. It still won't boot up.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 1:54:30 AM

It sounds like the motherboard itself is dead. It isn't taking power at all... Are you certain you didn't short it by screwing the motherboard into the case with no mounts or anything like that?
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 1:56:39 AM

eggbrook said:
It sounds like the motherboard itself is dead. It isn't taking power at all... Are you certain you didn't short it by screwing the motherboard into the case with no mounts or anything like that?

Haven't even put the mobo near the case and I've worn an antistatic wristband the whole time.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 4:34:12 AM

That's really, really weird. The motherboard's power LED lights up, and its fried...

Is the CPU is well seated? (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just trying to eliminate all possible causes.)

Unplug the psu from the wall, and press the power button (or short the pins) for 5-10 seconds. Then try it again.

...weird stuff.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 3:08:13 PM

quicksand10 said:
That's really, really weird. The motherboard's power LED lights up, and its fried...

Is the CPU is well seated? (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just trying to eliminate all possible causes.)

Unplug the psu from the wall, and press the power button (or short the pins) for 5-10 seconds. Then try it again.

...weird stuff.

Yes, the CPU is well seated. I'll try the other thing tomorrow. If that doesn't work, should I exchange my mobo?
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 12:40:02 PM

I can get the computer to boot if I short all the pins. However, this doesn't help me when I install it into my case and plug the power connector from the case into the mobo.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 11:59:28 AM

Are you sure that you are connecting the power on switch to the proper header pins?
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 6:06:48 PM

clarkjd said:
Are you sure that you are connecting the power on switch to the proper header pins?

Finally got it to work. Turns out that I had to put on one of the LED connectors sideways from the way the mobo manual had it. Strange, but at least I finally got my computer up and running.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 11:15:11 AM

xspectrum said:
Finally got it to work. Turns out that I had to put on one of the LED connectors sideways from the way the mobo manual had it. Strange, but at least I finally got my computer up and running.

Glad you got it working!

Enjoy!
m
0
l
!