CPU vs Graphics Card

moomoomage

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
So I'm Building my computer and currently own an asus 560ti (which I will be transferring over to my new build)

My question is should I buy another 560 ti (for sli compatibilities) OR a i7-3930K ?

(if I don't get the i7-3930k I'll get the i7-3820)

~What I plan on doing with this computer is hardcore gaming and video editing, rendering, and recording (for youtube)~

OTHER SPECS OF THIS BUILD:
Case: NZXT switch 810
Psu: 850w cooler master silent pro
heatsink: cooler master evo 212
motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
RAM: 16gb corsair vengance
HDD: 2tb seagate barracuda
SSD: 60gb OCZ agility 3 (for drivers and windows)
opticaldrive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner

(other suggestions on build would be appreciated)

Solution
this one is a trade off ... both ways will be an amazing system.
for video rendering ivybridge and its quick sync is very fast but having 2 extra cores of crunching power makes up for that feature easily.

as for the graphics the 560TI will be able to play most games on high settings for a while but the SLI will last much longer.

for the fastest possible system and rendering pluse in games and dont mind playing the medium/high settings instead of ultra. i would go with the 3930.

on the other hand if my main focus is playing games at the highest possible settings (enthusiast style) i would go for the 560TI as most games donot recognize hyper threading you might see a CPU cap on MMO/ 64+player battlefields.

what i would do i go with...

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012
this one is a trade off ... both ways will be an amazing system.
for video rendering ivybridge and its quick sync is very fast but having 2 extra cores of crunching power makes up for that feature easily.

as for the graphics the 560TI will be able to play most games on high settings for a while but the SLI will last much longer.

for the fastest possible system and rendering pluse in games and dont mind playing the medium/high settings instead of ultra. i would go with the 3930.

on the other hand if my main focus is playing games at the highest possible settings (enthusiast style) i would go for the 560TI as most games donot recognize hyper threading you might see a CPU cap on MMO/ 64+player battlefields.

what i would do i go with a i7-3770k and grab a 560TI with will allow for good overclocking plus the good quick sync for rendering and give you fantastic graphics in games... but may be slightly over budget.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed. There is no discernable difference in gaming between either of those processors; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
With the PCIe bandwidth available on your board, the 2nd graphics card will make a major frame rate improvement in gaming. Keep in mind, though, that micro-stutter is always a possibility with some games with SLI. Although, I haven't had any that I notice with my 2 570s... which are almost the same as 2 560ti's.

Your other video work won't be able to tell the difference between processors.