Please help me... the clock is ticking :(

Sorry to rush you guys, but can you go quick on this one? Thanks so much!!

So I'm buying a computer in about 1 hour. Newegg, and I need urgent help. What is a good motherboard to go with my rig? PLEASE help me and I'm getting a GTX 6xx series and that will %90 be PCIe 3.0 right? So yea. Budget isn't too much of concern, as long as I have oboard audio, lan, and I have x2 3.0 usbs, x2 PCIe 3.0s, and x4 USB 2.0s.


Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Cooler Master HAF 942 case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

3TB HDD 7200rpm 64mb cache: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

1000w PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056

16GB 1600MHz RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

Motherboard: (This is the shitty board I was going to get until I though of PCIe 3.0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701

i5 2550k Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115230

Water cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Gaming graphics card!!!!: This is the most important, and I'll be getting a GTX 6xx series on launch. SWEET. I am assuming, folowing AMD, nVidia will make thier card PCIe 3.0 based. So I need ya guys to pick out a board thats PCIe 3.0. I know I should do this but I don't know where to find it. Thanks sooooo much guys!!!
35 answers Last reply
More about please clock ticking
  1. First off I recommend this ram instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

    and as far as a board here is my recomendation http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265

    that is the board i am getting as well. it is great for the price
  2. a MUCH BETTER board!
    ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 $179.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

    imho the p67 is a dead end chipset.
  3. How so?
  4. petty much useless since the Z68 series with overclocking AND video out on the board. and no upgrade to ivy bride chipset; no p77 boards in the future but Z,H, and Q series.
  5. YOU SHOULD NOT BE BUYING A COMPUTER IN 1 HOUR.

    You should spend 24 hours talking over your build in this thread.

    You realize that PCIe 3.0 is all hype and completely useless right now, right?
  6. Can you fill this out?: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    What are you building this computer for? If it's gaming, then 16GB of RAM is kinda useless. If it's video editing, then the RAM has a use, but the lack of IGP for Quicksync on the i5-2550K wouldn't make any sense. Is the 3TB drive for your OS (although it is a solid drive)? At your budget range, I'd go for an SSD for the OS. What's the 1000W PSU for? I don't trust Cooler Master. I'd stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. 750W should do though. Even a 650W will handle dual GTX 680's just fine (not dual Fermi, Southern Islands, or 7900 series).
  7. dalauder said:
    YOU SHOULD NOT BE BUYING A COMPUTER IN 1 HOUR.

    You should spend 24 hours talking over your build in this thread.

    You realize that PCIe 3.0 is all hype and completely useless right now, right?


    yeah no ***, did you see that cooler master PSU?
  8. hahaha i know the psu is a little, ok a lot overkill. im trying to futureproof this computer :)
  9. Well you asked me to fill this out so...

    Approximate Purchase Date: Today or early tomorrow.

    Budget Range: 1200-1400 without gpu. +600 for GPU. Rebates not included.

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, netflix,

    Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com

    Country: U.S.A.

    Parts Preferences:by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case) Intel CPU, ASUS mobo but idc, full tower case.

    Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe *** yes. 4.2-4.8GHz.

    SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe No, and yes. This rig will be futureproof, and will add on another GTX 680 in like, 2013 maybe? Maybe 2014?

    Monitor Resolution:(e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) I wanted 1200 or 1440, but they are like omfg $700!!!

    Additional Comments: lots of bling with a windows and blue leds. or at least swap/changable leds.
  10. ttg_Avenged said:
    hahaha i know the psu is a little, ok a lot overkill. im trying to futureproof this computer :)

    its NOT a future proof PSU, its a ticking time bomb!
  11. WHAT DO YOU MEAN TICKING TIME BOMB? whats so bad about it? shiiiiit i just bought iut litterary 23 seconds ago. ***.
  12. Oh damnit... facepalm I just realized you made fun of the title as a pun. Lil' bastard. -_- haha
  13. ttg_Avenged said:
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN TICKING TIME BOMB? whats so bad about it? shiiiiit i just bought iut litterary 23 seconds ago. ***.

    seriously, every review i have read about CM PSUs have complained that they fail around 80% of rate load.

    so that 1k watt will realistically run @ 800watts max before getting all flonky.

    EDIT:
    here is a review of the 1200 watt version of the same series. not as bad as the others, it handles the load with minor ripples but still not as good as an antec or better.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=193
  14. ttg_Avenged said:
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN TICKING TIME BOMB? whats so bad about it? shiiiiit i just bought iut litterary 23 seconds ago. ***.
    I guess I wasn't clear enough when I said, "I don't trust Cooler Master. I'd stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. " What I meant was. DO NOT BUY COOLER MASTER. They make crappy PSUs that will damage your components and fail early, possibly taking parts with them. Cancel your order. You can almost always cancel Newegg orders for 24 hours. Call customer support.

    Overkill/future-proofing is pointless. Not only does it not work, but newer GPUs are using LESS power, so a 1000W PSU is only a great way to waste money--not future proof your system.
  15. Anonymous said:
    seriously, every review i have read about CM PSUs have complained that they fail around 80% of rate load.

    so that 1k watt will realistically run @ 800watts max before getting all flonky.
    OP, Keep in mind that merely failing to deliver power isn't the worst a PSU can do. The worst it can do is deliver inconsistent/inadequate power or occasional voltage spikes--these kind of things that lousy PSUs do destroy your other hardware over time--ruining any hope of "future-proofing".
  16. ttg_Avenged said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: Today or early tomorrow.

    Budget Range: 1200-1400 without gpu. +600 for GPU. Rebates not included.

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, netflix,
    If gaming is your focus, then let's look at the whole package and assume GTX 680's are $600 and see what's the best we can get for $1800-2000.

    Do you plan on 3D gaming? If so, then dual GTX 670's would give you A LOT more graphics muscle and probably fit in your budget. Also, a single GTX 670 will probably give you 90% of a GTX 680's performance, so think about that.

    What are you gaming with right now? Because if you're using an 8800GT, then a single GTX 460 1GB would provide such a ridiculous graphics boost that I have to wonder if the GTX 680 is overcompensating (I ask because a lot of people seem to build $2k machines and then decide they can't afford it and try to sell the parts). At 1920x1080, there really are only a couple of games that can use more than a GTX 570. So make sure to spend money on things that provide performance you'll actually notice.

    What I'd like to find out is if you merely want all the bells & whistles for fun or if you'd want something of equal performance that costs several hundred less while still in a nice case. Keep in mind that a Corsair H100 isn't any better of a cooler than the best air coolers (it is more awesome though).

    Do you have a Micro Center nearby?
  17. dalauder said:
    If gaming is your focus, then let's look at the whole package and assume GTX 680's are $600 and see what's the best we can get for $1800-2000.

    Do you plan on 3D gaming? If so, then dual GTX 670's would give you A LOT more graphics muscle and probably fit in your budget. Also, a single GTX 670 will probably give you 90% of a GTX 680's performance, so think about that.

    What are you gaming with right now? Because if you're using an 8800GT, then a single GTX 460 1GB would provide such a ridiculous graphics boost that I have to wonder if the GTX 680 is overcompensating (I ask because a lot of people seem to build $2k machines and then decide they can't afford it and try to sell the parts). At 1920x1080, there really are only a couple of games that can use more than a GTX 570. So make sure to spend money on things that provide performance you'll actually notice.

    What I'd like to find out is if you merely want all the bells & whistles for fun or if you'd want something of equal performance that costs several hundred less while still in a nice case. Keep in mind that a Corsair H100 isn't any better of a cooler than the best air coolers (it is more awesome though).

    Do you have a Micro Center nearby?


    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have this figure out. I've researched EVERY day for the last month until this day :) I know what I need and a GTX 680 is it :)
  18. ttg_Avenged said:
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have this figure out. I've researched EVERY day for the last month until this day :) I know what I need and a GTX 680 is it :)
    Okay, fair enough.

    In that case...

    Do you have a Micro Center nearby (saves you $50 minimum if gas and time are free)?

    Did you cancel the PSU to get an Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX instead?

    Your RAM choice is solid. Any 1.5V 1600CL9 will do. I'd make sure it matched my motherboard and case though since there are a ton of $90-$95 choices from G.Skill (dark red, bright red, blue, orange, & black). 8GB would do, but since the money isn't the issue, get 16GB. Considering you'll have an H100, the heatspreader clearance is irrelevant, so you're free to get Corsair Vengeance if it goes on sale.

    Mobo: I prefer black mobos. Here's a couple of my picks
    1) Open Box G1.SNIPER2 $255: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128525R
    Fun, but not actually useful.
    2) Gigabyte $159: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
    Everything you'll actually use and then a hair more.
    3) ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 $190: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264
    Because the Extreme 3 lacks internal USB 3.0 headers.

    Case: What ideas do you have for the case? I have an Azza Solano 1000R. My case is too thin for some of the larger CPU coolers, but that won't matter to you since you'll have the H100 (hmmm...that thing is starting to sound better all the time).

    CPU: Are you sure you like the i5-2550K over the i5-2500K? I like the IGP because it gives extra monitors. It also gives me a fallback to access my bios if my graphics are having a problem. I personally think there are a lot of potential uses of IGP and I've yet to find a drawback.
  19. dalauder said:
    Okay, fair enough.

    In that case...

    Do you have a Micro Center nearby (saves you $50 minimum if gas and time are free)?

    Did you cancel the PSU to get an Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX instead?

    Your RAM choice is solid. Any 1.5V 1600CL9 will do. I'd make sure it matched my motherboard and case though since there are a ton of $90-$95 choices from G.Skill (dark red, bright red, blue, orange, & black). 8GB would do, but since the money isn't the issue, get 16GB. Considering you'll have an H100, the heatspreader clearance is irrelevant, so you're free to get Corsair Vengeance if it goes on sale.

    Mobo: I prefer black mobos. Here's a couple of my picks
    1) Open Box G1.SNIPER2 $255: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128525R
    Fun, but not actually useful.
    2) Gigabyte $159: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
    Everything you'll actually use and then a hair more.
    3) ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 $190: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264
    Because the Extreme 3 lacks internal USB 3.0 headers.

    Case: What ideas do you have for the case? I have an Azza Solano 1000R. My case is too thin for some of the larger CPU coolers, but that won't matter to you since you'll have the H100 (hmmm...that thing is starting to sound better all the time).

    CPU: Are you sure you like the i5-2550K over the i5-2500K? I like the IGP because it gives extra monitors. It also gives me a fallback to access my bios if my graphics are having a problem. I personally think there are a lot of potential uses of IGP and I've yet to find a drawback.


    Well I swtched from 1000w PSU CM to 850W XFX PSU. Also I got Corsair Vengance 8GB x2. That's it.
  20. OK not too good, but I no longer can cancel the Newegg purchase. So I'm stuck with this PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

    I know it's Cooler Master, but does it REALLY matter? Look at the awesome reviews!
  21. ttg_Avenged said:
    OK not too good, but I no longer can cancel the Newegg purchase. So I'm stuck with this PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

    I know it's Cooler Master, but does it REALLY matter? Look at the awesome reviews!


    yes it does matter. tech sites that do testing are a little more knowledgeable and do testing that show flaws than people that are happy things are running. new egg reviews are good reading for a laugh.

    i wonder what they'll say in a year after use?
  22. Anonymous said:
    yes it does matter. tech sites that do testing are a little more knowledgeable and do testing that show flaws than people that are happy things are running. new egg reviews are good reading for a laugh.

    i wonder what they'll say in a year after use?


    OK, I'm convinced already. Can I send this back to them and get a refund?
  23. I just wanted to say that I am very sad how this all turned out.

    If any other people come in here and read this thread that are thinking about getting a new PC, come in here like 2 weeks before. That way we can prevent any horrible purchases from going through.

    People like Dalauder know what they are talking about and if they try to save you from a bad purchase, try to listen to them.

    Regardless what the reviews say, its very likely the collective wisdom among some of the best computer techs on the internet is probably a little more reliable than people who have no experience supporting computers and no real idea how to perform a serious review.

    I sincerely hope the CM PSU doesn't blow up the OPs coming GTX 680.

    Sigh...
  24. ttg_Avenged said:
    OK, I'm convinced already. Can I send this back to them and get a refund?


    IDK but if you can go for it. however if you are stuck with it it looks like you might have dodged a bullet.
    here is a review of the 1200 watts version of the same series. if the quality of the components are the same you ended up just paying more than a corsair that is a better quality brand.
    Reviews - Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=193
  25. @looniam, I will go over it later, and I hope it's positive. To those looking down on me, just stop please. I have been planning this setup for about a month now and the case is CM, I really though CM makes good products. If it's bad, oh well!! I'll take it back and go the Fry's and get a 800w. (The CM I'm getting bought is only 800w, not 1200w or 1000w.)
  26. ttg_Avenged said:
    @looniam, I will go over it later, and I hope it's positive. To those looking down on me, just stop please. I have been planning this setup for about a month now and the case is CM, I really though CM makes good products. If it's bad, oh well!! I'll take it back and go the Fry's and get a 800w. (The CM I'm getting bought is only 800w, not 1200w or 1000w.)


    Worst case scenario just put the psu on ebay.....
  27. Worst case scenario his 680 is blown up and maybe not covered under warranty.
  28. Raiddinn said:
    Worst case scenario his 680 is blown up and maybe not covered under warranty.


    I meant before he uses it.....
  29. I like the eBay the PSU idea if it comes to that. But if it's Fry's you should be able to return it to a store unopened, right?
  30. dalauder said:
    I like the eBay the PSU idea if it comes to that. But if it's Fry's you should be able to return it to a store unopened, right?


    I'd think so
  31. no no no, i bought it fron newegg. returning to newegg unopened. ill buy one FROM frys that ill keep :)
  32. ttg_Avenged said:
    no no no, i bought it fron newegg. returning to newegg unopened. ill buy one FROM frys that ill keep :)
    Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
  33. dalauder said:
    Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.


    Well I could have told ya this Saturday, butI built it and 800w seems to be enough. That is for a GTX 560 Ti, I'm not getting a GTX 680 for maybe 2 more weeks. When the new models come out! :)
  34. I am sorry that we have failed to communicate to you what it is we have been trying to convey.

    I do hope that your user experience isn't made worse because of our failure in this regard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Product