Sign in with
Your question

Built a 1000$ Computer Setup - Problems after problems- PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2012 12:40:30 AM

So I have been gaming for a while, and I finally decided to build my own computer because I thought for the price I would get alot! I spent 1000$ on my setup, and now Im having so many problems it feels like it was a waste of my money. So Im here to ask you guys for your help!

Let me start off with my setup!

CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 3.2GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 16GB (4x4GB) Quad Channel Kit
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_31...

Graphics Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD6870 : Sapphire (11179-13-20G) AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870 Chipset (920Mhz) 1GB GDDR5 (4200Mhz) Memory HD Audio Quad Display Dual DVI /HDMI/Dual Mini-Display Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

PSU: OCZ ZT-series 750W Fully Modular 80-Plus Bronze Power Supply (OCZ-ZT750W)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...

Motherboard: Asus M5A88-M Socket AM3+ AMD 880G/SB850 Chipset Dual Channel DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 MHz 1x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots 8-Channel HD Audio GigaLAN 6x SATA 6Gb/s 2x USB 3.0 12x USB 2.0 Micro ATX
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_33...

Case: Well Ventilated Case I think its a Corasir 500R Its white with many fans! Also have a dedicated fan for my CPU thats aftermarket.

Problem #1(Very Common): My computer screen freezes, goes black and when it goes back to normal, I get a message saying: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display Driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

This happens when running 2-3 clients of my game.

Problem #2: If I run 2-3 clients of my game ( which isnt alot at all) I get a blue screen.

Problem #3:I leave my computer on overnight, and when I wake up to open it and check it, the computer crashed while I was sleeping, and I get a error message saying "Windows has crashed" and it has some more information but I forget, I will post it when It happens again.

Problem #4: When running my game I get this message frequently, it never happened on any other computers I can my game on, I also get this message once and a while when on skype. The problem is an APPCRASH error. Heres a copy and paste of the details I copied from when it happened.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: KnightOnLine.exe
Application Version: 2.3.11.1718
Application Timestamp: 4ecefe77
Fault Module Name: KnightOnLine.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.3.11.1718
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ecefe77
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000be605
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: d942
Additional Information 2: d942c03de76e23557c49d369c1bc2c10
Additional Information 3: 189f
Additional Information 4: 189f166434948b456acc54ceb17cee0b

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thats it. All the help I can get is appreciated. Im not a computer tech but I know a bit about the computers.

Extra Info:

Graphic Card Idles at 45*-60* Celcius when playing my game
Tried Installing Windows 7 Many times
Installed the newest Motherboard Bios
Installed and updated newest driver for my Graphics card
Have newest AMD Vision Engine Control Center
Nothing is overclocked
Running Windows 7 64 Bit
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 1:45:04 AM

I have never played this game, so you will have to bear with me.

I used to play a game called Everquest 1, the first game to really fit the definition of what most people think when they hear MMORPG.

Some people who played that game, if they had fast enough computers could run the game exe twice from the same computer to get 2 windows of the game running at the same time. The players would be able to then use ALT + TAB to switch between them.

Just to verify, when you say you are running 2 - 3 clients for this game, is this what you are talking about?

I am going to assume that it is true for the time being.

Here is an article from AMD's website about this general sort of error

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116Rad...

If you read that, you will see a whole lot of possibilities and things to do that could potentially resolve them. Your problem is likely one of those listed and it will likely be fixed by doing what it says. However, it is difficult to determine at this point which one is actually your problem.

What I would like you to do is to restart in safe mode and try as hard as you can to crash it.

If you do this and you are convinced you cannot crash it, the best way to start is probably by blowing away Windows completely and starting from scratch with a new install.

If you would like to do this step, let me know and I will try to guide you through how to best proceed. It is best to do things in a specific order and it isn't common at all for them to be done in this order.

If you CAN crash the computer during safe mode, your problem is likely due to a hardware failure and the best way to proceed is to run a basic RAM test and if that shows no problems then to try to replace hardware with other available components if possible.
m
l
March 16, 2012 2:42:04 AM

I tried crashing windows in safemode, and their was no way to, because I had no internet connection, and I couldn't open my game or anything with graphics because it said a message about something with Direct X and graphics.

I have read the article you posted on AMD's site many times, none of those seem to work.

Im also looking at my RAM package now, and it says on the back and front that it supports Intel Core and nothing at all about AMD, it says "is designed specifcally for the cutting edge Intel LGA 2011 processors and X79 platforms"
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:15:48 AM

Does the computer only crash with that specific game?
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 4:02:46 AM

Just what I was going to ask.

Is the system stable with 2D desktop applications such as your word processor or spreadsheet program?

Is it stable with your web browser? What else besides Skype occasionally crashes?

Do other games crash with the same frequency?

Memory for an X79 system means you have a matched set of 4 DIMM's. What happens when you pull 2 DIMM's and run with just 8 GB of RAM?

What happens when you run memtest?

Even if your system is not overclocked, try running Prime95 as a stress test for, say, 12 hours as a stability check. Run 6 hours of small fft's to work the CPU, then 6 hours of blend tests to check the memory subsystem. A nonOC'd system should be able to run P95 for days.

If it crashes with Prime95, try again in Safe Mode to try to eliminate driver problems.

Try wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything.

Worst comes to worst, completely disassemble the system, inspect all of the parts, and rebuild.
m
l
March 16, 2012 5:11:16 PM

The computer has never crashed when im not playing any games or running graphics. The computer has never crashed when just running 1 client of the game. Al thought the game does crash with the APPCRASH ERROR when running 1 client. Im going to try taking out 2 sticks of ram, and push my graphics to see if it crashes. I ran a memory test from Memtest68+ and I forget if I did it properly or not but I didnt see any errors ( I will try running it again and post my results).

I had a memory error when playing World of Warcraft before. I forget what the error was but it was some sort of app crash that I got often. (My graphics card crashed aswell when playing WOW I believe at least once.)

Im not sure what Prime95 is but if you can give me more info and a download link I will try it.

Thanks for the help guys.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 6:46:23 PM

"XL" GSkill DDR3 1600 is not on the Asus QVL list -- but "RL" is.

It might work, but if you purchased a 4x4GB kit, you may have a bad stick in the bunch. I've had that issue with a couple GSkill kits.

Play around with the DIMMs as JSC suggested and see if you can find a bad stick.

m
l
March 16, 2012 8:14:26 PM

Just had another APP CRASH ERROR with Ventrilo: Heres the details from the message!

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Ventrilo.exe
Application Version: 3.0.8.0
Application Timestamp: 4d67d1e4
Fault Module Name: DSOUND.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdf19
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000000af4f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 7fdf
Additional Information 2: 7fdf256c57b6d6ab1833a7d3fae7c528
Additional Information 3: 51ad
Additional Information 4: 51ade4c49c222e22c538095b84ff6d7c

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
m
l
March 17, 2012 3:54:05 AM

I maintain that if you can restart in safe mode and you cannot find a way to crash it, the best course of action is probably to reinstall Windows.

I don't know how hard you tried to crash it in safe mode, but it does matter.

The safe mode test carries a huge amount of weight and is the best way to tell the difference between hardware failures (crashes in safe mode) or software failures (doesn't).

The best way to clear up software problems is to just blow everything away and start from scratch.

If you do, I would suggest installing the OS, then going directly to Microsoft's website and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. Afterwards doing Windows Update over and over to get all the critical and recommended patches.

Once you get to that point, then again try to crash the system. You could install the game and try to play it here as a test method.

Mind you, I didn't say to update drivers. A lot of people like to do that right away and it isn't a good idea. Always test for stability before drivers are updated, so you have a solid baseline from which to draw conclusions.

Now then, I still have a gut feeling this is a hardware issue and I think you could crash it in safe mode if you tried hard enough, but the above is your other option to avoid having to start replacing hardware.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2012 4:06:14 AM

Raiddinn said:
I maintain that if you can restart in safe mode and you cannot find a way to crash it, the best course of action is probably to reinstall Windows.

I don't know how hard you tried to crash it in safe mode, but it does matter.

The safe mode test carries a huge amount of weight and is the best way to tell the difference between hardware failures (crashes in safe mode) or software failures (doesn't).

The best way to clear up software problems is to just blow everything away and start from scratch.

If you do, I would suggest installing the OS, then going directly to Microsoft's website and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. Afterwards doing Windows Update over and over to get all the critical and recommended patches.

Once you get to that point, then again try to crash the system. You could install the game and try to play it here as a test method.

Mind you, I didn't say to update drivers. A lot of people like to do that right away and it isn't a good idea. Always test for stability before drivers are updated, so you have a solid baseline from which to draw conclusions.

Now then, I still have a gut feeling this is a hardware issue and I think you could crash it in safe mode if you tried hard enough, but the above is your other option to avoid having to start replacing hardware.

He stated before that he reinstalled the os several times. I would try installing all the latest drivers for your motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88M/#do... . It's either a driver/app/hardware error IMO at this time.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:41:10 AM

It matters how the reinstall was performed.

I think it was Einstein that said that a test for insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If the install process is flawed, and the same process is followed over and over, then the end results can't be trusted.

I don't know that the reinstalls were done in such a way that makes it maximally easy to determine if the problem is due to software. That is why I laid out how I would like a reinstall to be performed.

- Edit - Clarity
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:37:23 AM

ok guys I did a memory test, ran for approximately 1.5- 2 hours, it came up with 11244 errors before I stopped it! I ran it will all 4 sticks of ram in. Is the memory the problem? Because lately ive been getting alot more crashes and their all Memory problems. Can the memory cause the graphics card and blue screen crashes?
m
l
!