Thinking of switching to intel if AMD's piledriver fails

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2012 5:05:10 AM

So My current system is an all amd system and I'm currently deciding on what hardware I want my computer to have in the future , At the moment I'm waiting to see how AMD delivers with pile driver however if they flop again then unfortunately Ill be moving to Intel.

Heres my current setup

AMD FX 4100 @ 3.6GHZ
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Gskill 4gbx4 16gb DDR3 Memory
Radeon hd 6870 1GB
1TB HDD
450w PSU not sure what brand

I'm on a student budget so I'm trying to be a bit cheap but at the same time I don't want my new mobo to be to cheap if you get what I mean. Im looking at the low to mid range market for my new mobo so far I have my eyes set on this one as a possible choice. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MBDAS59295&name... along with this intel cpu http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CPUIT3571&name=Inte...

Im also looking at getting a new psu http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PSUSSN20650&nam...

Im mostly after mobo suggestions, also whether or not I can run that cpu and mobo I listed on the PSU I have without upgrading would be good to know as well.

More about : thinking switching intel amd piledriver fails

June 30, 2012 5:21:01 AM

Depends what are you doing most of? if your gaming an amd piledriver 6 core or 8 core is good enough,Most games are GPU dependent now days anyways...I have an FX 6100 and i beat a 2500k in a few games and kept up with a 2600k @ 4ghz in games also... all depends on what you do.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:23:34 AM

Also your going to see almost no fps increase in games...going to another 4 core processor...Upgrade your video card if anything and get a better psu.

OCZ 750 watt for 100 bucks on newegg is an amazing powersupply...Its modular and cables are very long that powersupply is SO EXPENSIVE

this is what you would want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-EchoOne
m
l
Related resources
a c 198 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
June 30, 2012 5:24:24 AM

AMD has historically been 6 months ahead of Intel on the R&D, which is no surprise considering that Intel is a very careful and conservative company. Unfortunately they recently have been about 12 months behind Intel in terms of actual execution.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:25:07 AM

DarkNinja22 said:
So My current system is an all amd system and I'm currently deciding on what hardware I want my computer to have in the future , At the moment I'm waiting to see how AMD delivers with pile driver however if they flop again then unfortunately Ill be moving to Intel.

Heres my current setup

AMD FX 4100 @ 3.6GHZ
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Gskill 4gbx4 16gb DDR3 Memory
Radeon hd 6870 1GB
1TB HDD
450w PSU not sure what brand

I'm on a student budget so I'm trying to be a bit cheap but at the same time I don't want my new mobo to be to cheap if you get what I mean. Im looking at the low to mid range market for my new mobo so far I have my eyes set on this one as a possible choice. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MBDAS59295&name... along with this intel cpu http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CPUIT3571&name=Inte...

Im also looking at getting a new psu http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PSUSSN20650&nam...

Im mostly after mobo suggestions, also whether or not I can run that cpu and mobo I listed on the PSU I have without upgrading would be good to know as well.

You've got a pretty decent system right now for any game on the market. If you're on a budget there is no reason to touch it. If it's gaming that you do, a processor upgrade won't make much of a difference anyway. If you want a little more oomph, that processor is highly overclockable, and choosing a motherboard with crossfire, pick up another 6870 (i just got one for $140 CAD recently) and your system will be unstoppable for a while.

If money is an issue be happy with what you got, it's more powerful than what 90% of gamers most likely have out there!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2012 5:28:16 AM

there's really no point in looking now if you are waiting on piledriver first. it wont be out for months, and prices and parts will change by then. there's really no reason to go Intel when you already have the AMD platform anyway, especially with that gpu. you're not going to be cpu limited and that fx chip could take a nice overclock.

in any case you're talking a while new build so should take a look here

www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

No one can tell you if your PSU is sufficient without knowing the model. the wattage rating is about worthless without that as lots of PSU makers lie
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:36:06 AM

Thanks for the advice , yea I guess while I wait for PD, the only real upgrades I can do are to the GPU and PSU, I wish I new if the 6870 is going to be sufficient enough for crysis 3 though. Any ideas if Ill be ok for that game? Thats the main game im looking to prepare for.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:39:25 AM

DarkNinja22 said:
Thanks for the advice , yea I guess while I wait for PD, the only real upgrades I can do are to the GPU and PSU, I wish I new if the 6870 is going to be sufficient enough for crysis 3 though. Any ideas if Ill be ok for that game? Thats the main game im looking to prepare for.

What resolution would you be playing at? I've got a 6870 with a phenom ii x4 980 processor and there has yet to be a game i couldn't play at 1680 x 1050 at max settings.

i'm assuming our systems would have similar performance

my guess is it would be able to run crysis 3 fine
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:58:09 AM

DarkNinja22 said:

You mobo looks to be crossfire enabled. If you get another 6870 and psu to handle the extra card, your system would run crysis 3 and beg for more, no questions asked

and overclock that processor of course! ;-)
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:58:49 AM

Im playing at 1366x768
m
l
June 30, 2012 6:02:25 AM

DarkNinja22 said:
Im playing at 1366x768

At that resolution your current system is a powerhouse. You have no problem at all right now dude to run crysis 3. Unless you plan on upgrading to a higher rez. monitor in the near future, no need to upgrade the gpu

I am pretty sure I'm right, but if anyone wants to confirm it, please do! =-)
m
l
a c 487 à CPUs
a c 123 À AMD
a c 121 å Intel
June 30, 2012 7:03:11 AM

Depends on what your expectations are. Piledriver will probably be about 10% faster than Phenom II / FX so that will put it at about the same level of performance as the 1 generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

To be as powerful as Intel's current Ivy Bridge CPUs AMD will have to improve performance by about 30% instead of just 10%.

As long as expect performance to be at least equal to the 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7, then I would say there's a good chance you will not be disappointed. If you want Ivy Bridge performance level, then that's basically a pipedream.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 30, 2012 9:12:18 AM

People can say what they want but my FX-8120 has been a very good CPU upgrade. I went from a Phenom II 1090t to a FX-8120 and could not be happier. Most of my friends are big Intel/Nvidia fans and yet they have problems in some games with stutter/micro stutter and yet on my system that cost much less than theirs I have no problems with any games. I am not trying to slam Intel or Intel owners just my observation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2012 9:49:35 PM

I just went from a 1090 to a 8150 and was disappointed at first. At equal clocks, my 1090 was much faster in games. My 1090 could only overclock to 3.9 though and this 8150 is at 4.35 with this modest Hyper 212 and at that speed, its now faster. Plus when I get a H100 in a few weeks, I have little doubt Ill be able to hit 4.5 on this thing and that will be a very nice little performance bump.

Thats the thing with Bulldozers. They are slower than Phenom II clock for clock, but you can get a lot more clocks out of those Bulldozers so if youre wanting to crank on them, they have a lot more performance potential.
m
l
!