Cell tower ownership?

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
September 12, 2004 10:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

I used the cell tower locator to find a cell tower that is identified as a
radio tower which I assume is jointly used as a cell tower also.
Are these towers used by all cell companies or just one and then used as
roaming for other companies.
How can I find out which cell company has it?

More about : cell tower ownership

September 13, 2004 2:24:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:37:26 -0700, <arlenpar@rainierconnect.com>
wrote:

>I used the cell tower locator to find a cell tower that is identified as a
>radio tower which I assume is jointly used as a cell tower also.
>Are these towers used by all cell companies or just one and then used as
>roaming for other companies.
> How can I find out which cell company has it?

Some towers are for one carrier while others share towers. Go to
berkana.com for individual ownership of towers.
September 18, 2004 8:02:11 AM

<arlenpar@rainierconnect.com> wrote in message news:<10k9uehsl0lra7f@corp.supernews.com>...
> I used the cell tower locator to find a cell tower that is identified as a
> radio tower which I assume is jointly used as a cell tower also.
> Are these towers used by all cell companies or just one and then used as
> roaming for other companies.
> How can I find out which cell company has it?

There is no way to tell as Cellular/PCS providers are not required to
identify each transmit location (commonly called site licensing). The
ONLY sites they are required to identify are those that are on the
boarder of their market.

NEXTEL is an ESMR and IS required to identify each transmitter site
and the frequencies utilized there.

Another item is that tower structures that are 199' or less do not
need to be registered with the FCC/FAA unless they are near an
airport. You will not find these locations on the FCC website. What
you found is a structure that is over 200' and is registered and yes
there are typicially shared towers with the broadcasters at the top
and the cellular carriers between 100 and 150' agl. But like I stated
above, the cellular carriers are not required to identify the location
with any government regulatory agency.
Related resources
September 18, 2004 12:24:31 PM

On 18 Sep 2004 04:02:11 -0700, KS4VT@yahoo.com (MarkF) wrote:

>There is no way to tell as Cellular/PCS providers are not required to
>identify each transmit location (commonly called site licensing). The
>ONLY sites they are required to identify are those that are on the
>boarder of their market.

Maybe they're not required to, but I know for a fact that
berkana.com's tower locator shows locations for several carriers in my
area including T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless, Pacific Bell Wireless,
(cingular), Verizon, Sprint PCS and others in my area. I assume that
these installations are just for them and are not shared by others.

September 18, 2004 5:25:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

>There is no way to tell as Cellular/PCS providers are not required to
>identify each transmit location (commonly called site licensing). The
>ONLY sites they are required to identify are those that are on the
>boarder of their market.

I am not sure what you mean by identify. A cellular license holder is able to
put a transmitter anywhere in their geographical licensed area.

On the border of the area has some coverage overlap rules but they do not have
to "identify" their sites there either.

--
John S.
September 19, 2004 4:04:00 PM

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message news:<20040918092544.10671.00001008@mb-m04.aol.com>...
> On the border of the area has some coverage overlap rules but they do not have
> to "identify" their sites there either.

Oh yes they do. I co-locate with an AT&T site on their coverage
boarder and it has the callsign of KNKA355. Plugging this into the
FCC database yields this:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/genmen/uls/uls_...

Callsign / File Num Status Service Station Class Licensee Name Xmtr
City Xmtr State Frequency
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
824.04
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
834.39
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
845.01
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
869.04
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
879.39
KNKA355 Active CL AT&T WIRELESS SERVICES OF FLORIDA, INC. PAHOKEE FL
890.01

Here is the FCC Rule:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/e...

(e) Cellular radiotelephone service. During the five-year build-out
period, the service area boundaries of the additional transmitters, as
calculated by the method set forth in Sec. 22.911(a), must remain
within
the market, except that the service area boundaries may extend beyond
the market boundary into the area that is part of the CGSA or is
already
encompassed by the service area boundaries of previously authorized
facilities. After the five-year build-out period, the service area
boundaries of the additional transmitters, as calculated by the method
set forth in Sec. 22.911(a), must remain within the CGSA. Licensees
must
notify the Commission (FCC Form 601) of any transmitters added under
this section that cause a change in the CGSA boundary. The
notification
must include full size and reduced maps, and supporting engineering,
as
described in Sec. 22.953(a)(1) through (3). If the addition of
transmitters involves a contract service area boundary (SAB) extension
(see Sec. 22.912), the notification must include a statement as to
whether the five-year build-out period for the system on the relevant
channel block in the market into which the SAB extends has elapsed and
whether the SAB extends into any unserved area in the market. The
notification must be made electronically via the ULS, or delivered to
the filing place (see Sec. 1.913 of this chapter) once yearly during
the
five-year build-out on the anniversary of the license grant date.
!