Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my processor?

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2012 3:08:36 AM

My old system is currently running and i7 920 processor. I just picked up this new motherboard off Newegg
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am moving hardware over to a different case. I am basically doing a new build. I have and Alienware desktop running and i7-920 processor. I am moving some of the parts over and scrapping the case. Should I replace my processor? What is a newer version of the i7 processor that works with LGA 1366 x58 socket that does not cost too much?

More about : upgrade processor

March 16, 2012 3:26:09 AM

I am moving hardware over to a different case. I am basically doing a new build. I have and Alienware desktop running and i7-920 processor. I am moving some of the parts over and scrapping the case. Should I replace my processor? What is a newer version of the i7 processor that works with LGA 1366 x58 socket that does not cost too much? said:
I am moving hardware over to a different case. I am basically doing a new build. I have and Alienware desktop running and i7-920 processor. I am moving some of the parts over and scrapping the case. Should I replace my processor? What is a newer version of the i7 processor that works with LGA 1366 x58 socket that does not cost too much?

I was wondering about this myself recently. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worthwhile at the moment.

BUT!

That may not be the case for you.

Essentially you have to anzalyse what you use your PC for. I use mine mainly to run games. When push came to shove, there was really little to be gained by upgrading my PC from the venerable i7 920. I run mine overclocked at 4.0 and it runs cool under a H100 CPU cooler.

Having said that, if you're doing a lot of video encoding and photo editing, there may be reason to upgrade. The difficulty with the X58 platform is that there isn't a huge upgrade path available. Unless you go to a hex-core chip you're wasting your money as the good 'ol i7 920 is just about as good an overclocker as the rest of the quad core 9xx series CPUs.

So - unless you really need those extra cores, I wouldn't bother.

Others may have a different opinion on this which will be interesting to hear.
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:27:23 AM

LGA 1366 is now an obsolete socket.
Unless you find your CPU is really holding you back you shouldn't have to upgrade your cpu
If you did want to upgrade you would be up for a new board/cpu and ram more then likely.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2012 3:37:09 AM

I wouldnt get a new processor until you cant max out your games... it should last you a good year before it gets stressed on some games. I personally would wait even longer than that(sacrifice some eye candy) and then buy a sandy bridge/newer cpu w/ mobo for a cheaper price. But that's just me :D 

Edit: Beat me to the punch haha
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:45:00 AM

I play all of the recent games that are out. I played Mass Effect on high settings no problem. Like I said I am upgrading to a smaller case. My i7 920 has done me well. I think my best bet is to wait two years till I upgrade the mobo again.

On my current I am running 8gb of ram
Gts-450 graphics card
Samsung blue ray drive

for this new build

I picked up the Asus Sabertooth mobo
a 650watt psu
new case

I still think the i7920 will hold out for another two years maybe more when I can play games decently. I should be able to play Diablo 3 on high settings. I will never play console its not for me .
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:52:14 AM

did I make the right decision?
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:58:02 AM

I agree. I game at 2560x1600 and I've seen nothing that stresses my CPU out.

It's interesting. I monitor my system in real time on a G19 keyboard which has a screen. I've not really seen any game use more than about 40% resources (Shogun Total War).

Having a look over your system, your graphics card will be the bottleneck well before an overclocked 17 920 will, assuming you're gaming at 1080.

That should be the focus of your next upgrade.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:00:24 AM

Dude your processor will demolish games for the next 2 years pretty decently, but i'd invest into a new video card. The Saber is a great mobo. What brand of PSU is it? and the case really shouldnt matter if you have good airflow.

If you have extra cash i'd invest into something like this video card(100$-150$):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
March 16, 2012 4:11:03 AM

I think I am gonna hold out on the graphics card for awhile I spent enough of the $$$$ so far. I am debating doing and SLI of two GTS-450s

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

I also picked up a nice watercooling system from intel. This should last me for a couple build cycles I hope.

Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket

:sol: 
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:13:57 AM

Also most games that are out these days do not have real stress on the processor. Thats what I think at least. Considering most people run games on laptops not too many people have homebuilt systems.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:37:28 AM

stupid question: My Alienware comes with a i7920 processor, since its a manufactured pc, is it and actual i7-920 not a manufactured i7-920 that can only work with and alienware? I know that Dell took over Alienware, and dell is a real crook when it comes to only using manufactured parts only in dell computers. I just want to move my i7 processor over to a new mobo pain free. I am not purchasing any manufactured computers after this new build from now own I build my own.

Would there be any software for the processor that you suggest that I download?
m
l
March 16, 2012 7:25:08 PM

It's the intel i7-920... Dell/Alienware doesn't produce they're own CPUs.. it's compatible with the lga 1366 sockets.
m
l
!