Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I've connected my PC to my HDTV via HDMI. I use this for video. The only problem is I control the ccmputer from another computer using tightvnc. This makes my laptop a "remote" as I don't have to get up and go into the other room to change videos. Thing is it's cumbersome and a bit slow. Is there a way to add something to my pc that would act as a remote control? I mean if I get blue tooth, can I get a remote to make this work? Likely need additional hardware too but can it be done?

Solution
How is the HDMI cable routed from the room with the PC to the room with the HDTV? Are you running a long length down out the door and down the hall (for example) or through a wall/ceiling?

If running through the wall/ceiling, then I'd probably suggest using some sort of custom wall plate for both HDMI and USB and then just getting an MCE Remote Control and USB Receiver.

You could use something as simple as this wall port and this Pinnacle USB Remote Control / Receiver

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
How is the HDMI cable routed from the room with the PC to the room with the HDTV? Are you running a long length down out the door and down the hall (for example) or through a wall/ceiling?

If running through the wall/ceiling, then I'd probably suggest using some sort of custom wall plate for both HDMI and USB and then just getting an MCE Remote Control and USB Receiver.

You could use something as simple as this wall port and this Pinnacle USB Remote Control / Receiver

-Wolf sends

Solution

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Depends on where your computer is in relation to the TV.

For mine, it is in a different room, but I can see it if I keep the door open.

I use the Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard. It sells for $75, which is WAY too expensive. Look online and you can find coupon codes. I got mine for $30 which is almost the same price as the one without backlit capability.

For me it works great. It allows me to use my desktop in another room (about 15ft away) with no issues.

EDIT: It works off of a small USB dongle. It is about the size of a penny.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/....workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=57Y6678

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

It's going through the wall. The room the computer is in, is right behind the room with the TV. I'm using a 25' HDMI cable to get video for the TV. I can get an extension cord for usb for the remote. Most of my video is either mp4. Does Windows meda center play those? Doesn't matter i can convert to a different format I guess. I just like using the format for best file size and keep decent picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.