battery charger indicator light

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 7, 2005 10:37:38 PM

I've had a RadioShack Ni-Cd/Ni-MH 13-hour charger (catalog #23-47) for a
couple years and it's been working fine. The indicator light normally
glows as soon as I plug it in, but last night it did not. It charged my
batteries fine, though, or at least I think they're fully charged, since
they work when I put them in my camera. Does a burned out indicator
light mean the charger's days are numbered, or should I not be
concerned? (I called RadioShack--they've never heard of an indicator
light burning out on a charger.)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:10:58 PM

"nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
> I've had a RadioShack Ni-Cd/Ni-MH 13-hour charger (catalog #23-47) for a
> couple years and it's been working fine. The indicator light normally
> glows as soon as I plug it in, but last night it did not. It charged my
> batteries fine, though, or at least I think they're fully charged, since
> they work when I put them in my camera. Does a burned out indicator
> light mean the charger's days are numbered, or should I not be
> concerned? (I called RadioShack--they've never heard of an indicator
> light burning out on a charger.)

Run a set of batteries down and then you will learn if the charger is still
functioning. Any indicator light can burn out and this would have nothing
to do with the actual performance of the unit. If you can put up with no
indicator, there is no reason to replace the charger.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:50:40 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:37:38 -0400, nosredna wrote:

> Does a burned out indicator
> light mean the charger's days are numbered, or should I not be
> concerned? (I called RadioShack--they've never heard of an indicator
> light burning out on a charger.)

There are many reasons why the indicator light failed. If it uses
an LED as opposed to a filament bulb, it probably didn't "burn out",
but the reason for its failure could be almost anything. If it's
something as simple as a defective LED or an intermittent cold
solder joint, the charger will probably continue working as designed
for years to come. But you won't have any useful indication that it
has finished charging and will have to rely on keeping track of when
you start each charge cycle. Also, not knowing the true reason why
the indicator light isn't working, you won't be aware of some other
useful indications provided by the light, such as that contact with
the batteries has been made and charging has commenced, or that a
defective battery was detected. Assuming there was a typo in the
catalog number you supplied, I have the same model (#13-247), which
is also a 13 hour charger that requires the use of one or two small
'caddies' to allow AAA cells to be charged.

Even if the charger continues to operate as designed, it's slow,
lacks a number of useful features found in more modern chargers
(such as independent charging circuits for each individual cell),
and if I was in your situation, would continue using it only until
it was replaced by a newer, better charger. It's not hard to find a
decent charger at a moderate price. If you do decide to get one,
try to get a "smart" charger instead of one that's based on a timer
cut-off circuit, and there are unfortunately still many of those on
the shelves.