Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Critique My Build

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2012 5:17:18 AM

Greetings, noob to TH here but not new to building computers though my experience is a bit dated (my last build was a Pentium 4). So basically what I am building is a home system with mainly gaming in mind but also general web use. I've had good luck with certain products in the past which has influenced my choices as far as brands but I am open to suggestions on most things. Mainly looking for conflicts and so on such as the 1.5V Ram memory bit with Sandybridge processors, which I was unaware of until recently. Anyway, here are the core parts of my planned build:

Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K $339.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $259.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM $74.99

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support $319.99

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 & SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD $279.99

The links provided are Newegg, but I will probably buy from a variety of sources for the best price when the time comes. Prices reflect the current price on Newegg as of this post. I know the PSU is overkill for this but mainly I want this build to be a little future proof so I am leaving some breathing room for another GPU in SLI and overclocking the CPU, possibly with water cooling. In other words, I'll milk this for all it's worth and run it into the ground before having to build a new system or buy any major components for upgrade. Plus I have never had a problem out of my Thermaltake PSUs and I really like the brand. All of this will most likely be going into a Thermaltake tower and I will probably use a 120GB Intel SSD as the primary drive but I'm watching prices at the moment since the build will not be purchased until later this month or possible early next month depending on how the money flows. I probably will not go for a 600 series Geforce card when they come out as they will be out of my budget but I may step up to a GTX580 if they come down a little more when I buy. Not interested in Radeon cards regardless of cost or performance. Too many bad experiences in the past to go there but I don't want to turn this into a GPU brand debate. Anyway, that is the foundation of my new rig. Any help or advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Elwenil

More about : critique build

March 16, 2012 5:23:57 AM

well compared to my weak hd5450 core 2 qaud and 4 gig ram your machines sounds like it will be awsome.
March 16, 2012 5:31:35 AM

I would suggest saving a bit on your cpu and go with a 2500k, and beyond that, if you can wait a month or so, hold out for Ivy Bridge and get a bit more bang for the buck.

The psu is certainly overkill unless you plan on going for tri or quad high end gpus at some point. For dual gpus, you can certainly aim lower. Personally I like the Seasonic x750, which will be a solid choice for your eventual dual gpu set up.
Related resources
March 16, 2012 5:48:19 AM

I could go lower on the PSU but using Thermaltake's calculator and figuring in the overclock, SLI and wear and tear on the PSU I think it will be the right choice in the long run.

As for the 2500K, that was my original choice but as time has gone on and my budget slowly increased, I stepped it up a bit considering the price jump is pretty small. It is a point that I can sacrifice easily in favor of a GPU upgrade or something similar if I need to. For now I'm going to try and shoot for what I have listed but if money gets tight or if stepping down to the 2500K will be the difference between a 500 series GPU and a new 600 (depending on how they are priced), then that is definitely on the table.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!
March 16, 2012 6:16:40 AM

Why does everyone keep saying next month? Ivy Bridge comes out on June now.
March 16, 2012 6:35:46 AM

Last i read IB release date was pushed to April 29. However April 8 is suppose to be when intel will release new chip set controller. (Z77, H77, Z75 probably one or two more not sure).
Anonymous
March 16, 2012 6:55:24 AM

Your spending way too much on the psu and cpu and possibly the motherboard if you don't need the features that it provides. The i7 offers no benefit for gaming . 1200 watt is ludicrous for a 570 even in SLI. Not to mention that the new 28mn gpu's will be much for efficient.

Thermaltakes psu's are average and overpriced and a psu based on the seasonic platform is a much better option.

Maybe the thermaltake calculator is misleading you so that you can spend more money on their psu's?. I wouldn't purchase anything from a company like that.

Best solution

March 16, 2012 12:15:14 PM

i think these few parts have better value...

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 - $180

OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold - $190 after rebate

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 - $50

ok... actually there aren't much difference between cas 8 and cas 9 ram in terms of real world performance.... so by taking cas 9 ram you saved quite a bit...

as for power supply actually if you going for even two cards with high power consumption plus multiple drives and watercooling and overclocking both cpu and gpu for safe bet even a 1kw psu is more than enough....

the p8z68v-gen3 saves you $70... only has fewer sata ports and without the front usb 3.0 panel....

okay now for the gpu part... you can take the evga non superclocked version... because that saves you money and you can overclock the gpu yourself...
March 16, 2012 1:48:08 PM

Ok guys, points well taken. As far as Thermaltake's calculator being off, I have heard a lot of people I consider knowledgeable in computers recommend it, though I am sure it has a good "safety margin" built in it. I don't think it would be Thermaltake pushing a particular higher priced product since there is no guarantee that anyone will buy their products after using the calculator since it only gives you a wattage calculation. Either way I will step it down a bit to 1000W. I don't want to go much lower due to future expansion and the fact that I run a lot of drives and I plan on running this build for a long time. Like I mentioned before, my last rig is a 3.0 Pentium 4 I built in '05 or so and I ran it up until about 3 months ago. So that is why I am getting a little heavier on the CPU, MB and PSU than what the normal "budget" PC builder would go. I'm looking for bang for the buck as well as a bit more longevity than most gaming rigs. I also went for the "middle of the road" CPU on my Pentium build and regretted it almost immediately so I'm going for a little more tech this time. Also keep in mind that I do not intend to overclock this rig when new, but only when it starts showing it's age and needs a boost. For these reasons I'm going to try and stay with the i7 CPU. Anyway, how about these changes in an effort to retain the features I want/need and still reduce the overall cost based on the recommendations above:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $194.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B $42.99

Thermaltake TPG-1050M ToughPower Grand Power Supply - 1050W, 80 Plus Gold, 140mm Fan, CrossFireX Certified, SLI Certified $249.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $299.99

With the MB, I really want to keep the SATA slots as I do run multiple drives and would like to stay away from adding cards for the drives if I can help it. The reduction from the Deluxe to the V-Pro is still about a $60 drop in price which is considerable in my opinion.

For the RAM, I'm trying to work within Asus' list of compatible RAM so that I can hopefully avoid issues with it and hopefully avoid any snags with their customer service if needed (god forbid). It wasn't until I looked for the Sniper RAM that I realized that the RAM I selected in the original post was not on their list so good thing something else was recommended to get me looking at it again. At any rate the Corsair RAM is on the QVL and is about $30 cheaper.

For the PSU, I had to dig a bit to find one any cheaper in the 1000W range as Newegg listed it as the same price as the 1200W one I had selected before, which is why I stepped up to it as it was discounted. I do want to stay with Thermaltake as I have had very good luck with that brand and never had one of their PSUs die in any of the PCs I have built. Considering I haven't built any for a while, that's saying something. I also want to stay with the 80 Plus Gold certification if possible, and the one I selected now is $30 less at current pricing.

For the GPU, I can't honestly say I know why I had the Superclocked version selected. My intent was to overclock the GPU in the future and maybe add SLI for expansion so I'm not sure what I was thinking there. So dropping back to the regular version saved another $20.

So far you guys have got me thinking a bit more and potentially saved me $140 which could go towards a better GPU. I think if I do a bit more shopping around at Amazon for a few things or the prices of the GTX500 series drop a little more when the 600s come out, I can scrap enough savings to step up to the EVGA GTX580.

So how does the build look now in it's slightly more streamlined and cheaper configuration? Thanks again for all the help and comments. I know I seem s a bit inflexible on some points and I don't want to come off as one of those guys who asks for help but doesn't really want any and just wants people to agree with him. I do want help and I'm willing to listen to any suggestions you may have as they are all very much appreciated!

Elwenil
March 16, 2012 2:52:26 PM

azeem40 said:
Why does everyone keep saying next month? Ivy Bridge comes out on June now.

Ivy Bridge Mobile = June...not the Desktop version which is due in April. Reading Comprehension is key here.

Get the i5 2500k instead of 2600k ...save your money

Secondly your PSU is way overkill ...1200watt is way to much for even SLI/Xfire...maybe 1200 if you were trifire or quadfire etc.

If you want to have the option to go for sli / xfire later get a good quality 750watt or 850watt ( to be on safe side) xfx/corsair/seasonic (best)/antec are the best brands to stay with.

If you wait 1-2weeks...the 7870 and kepler will be out. which compete on par or better then the 580 with marginal oc's. The 7870 is confirmed to beat the 570 and 580 sometimes. If overclock it easily beats the 580gtx. Kepler on the otherhand is still in the rumormill and everyone is throwing out bogus graphs meant for marketing etc. For kepler expect 7970/580 performance or better but only by 10-20%. Overclocking ability has not been reported on yet.
March 17, 2012 5:18:07 PM

Best answer selected by Elwenil.
!