Case with USB 3.0 front panel connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungie240

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi All

I've got a zalman z9 u3 case with has front usb 3.0 on the case but the wire to connect to the motherboard is 2 regular usb 3.0 cables, i'm not sure how to connect?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

you are not supposed to connect those to the motherboard you are supposed to run them out the back and plug into the usb3.0 slots on the board. early usb3.0 motherboards did not have usb3 motherboard headers so cases were designed like that.

you can run them out the back

contact zalman to see if they have a new design with the headers they'll send you (rosewill sent me the new front panel for free)

buy an adapter
www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/493960107-Motherboard-20-Pin-Header-to-USB3-0-Port-Female-Adapter-wholesalers.html

As far as I can tell the USB 3 connector is a standard 20 pin connector that plugs into a 20 pin header on the MB. Look at your MB manual for the location of the 20 pin USB 3 header on the MB.

no, its just an adapter rearranging the pin. I don't know that website, just first one i hit for an example as they are a little hard to find. so you may need to look around. search for something along the lines of "usb3.0 header adapter" etc. if zalman has updated the case like everyone else has you might be able to get new cables from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.