GT240 1gb DDR3 Vs GTX 275 Sli (1). Worth The Upgrade!?!?

drzoidberg

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Upgrading From A: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-GeForce-PCI-Express-01G-P3-1236-LR/dp/B002WRIBO6
EVGA nVidia GeForce GT 240 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card 01G-P3-1236-LR

To This Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130677
EVGA 896-P3-1171-RX GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I've checked around and there doesn't seem to be a deal as good for the price it's offering me from a trusted website of course. With the warranty and how good the card is. I get an -$18.75, and an instant -$5. It all adds up but since it is re-certified I wanted to know if anyone could find me a better new product for the price of 130 USD. I was going to purchase it for about 115 but figured that the warranty on it was necessary and it came out to about 130 bucks including shipping and all that.

One thing I like about this is that shipping is free. The warranty and tax is cut adding on 5 bucks since I have a discount because I bought a monitor recently that I want to use to full potential. I have goggled a couple amazon cards that are about the same price new/used and they got blown out of the water by this card. I prefer Nvidia but ATI is welcome here in the discussion as well. I use an intel Q8200 if knowing what my current processor is, is of any use to you guys. For these kinds of things I try to stay away from Ebay like sites or craigslist so don't recommend any of that. Some place like newegg or tigerdirect is fine with me that is trusted.

I checked a question which was answered by a top yahoo answer contributor dude lol. Here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111028174437AAkmyi9

I need it for HD editing and for gaming. I plan to upgrade fully will two of these in SLI kick tons of ass? I mean I am not a rich kid but I received some money after books from college is this a good card/deal for me or should I let it slide. Offer ends 1/15 then I have to pay full price. I can always Sli it in the future if it gets old and doesn't play current games up to par. I'm planning on working in the summer and doing a full upgrade from my current system with a new Mobo/Ram and maybe even CPU would this card do me justice?

eax1

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I think you're 100% correct, why not just throw out the extra $10 for the 6850.

sig.jpg

Maybe this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

Also video editing of H.264 content with the assistance of GPU require your editing software to support it, also, not all codec can be transcoded by GPU. So I would say CPU and RAM is more important (in case your editing program don't support GPU acceleration). And also you need fast HDD or SSD.

I don't think SLI GTX275 will be a good idea. They are old card and is becoming hard to find.

drzoidberg

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the info guys I think I will just wait out and finish classes this year find a part-time job if I can and then in the summer work off to get a nicer computer in a bundle with everything. I shouldn't even buy the ram right now because I don't know what MOBO I am getting. Ehhh might just use my discount on something cheap under 50 bucks, or not use them at all. Saving up for a new complete upgrade a year from now would be better even on the price range. Saved me a lot of trouble guys thanks. :pt1cable:

drzoidberg

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah prices go up then down on certain things. Hopefully things go down because it's been 3-4 years since I've had a decent upgrade and I kind of need it. The only upgrade I can think of is using my current DDR2 800's 4 x 2gb and buy a new mobo with 4 slots and hopefully pci-e and pci-e x16 2.0 slots because my current mobo only excepts 2 x 2gb and is pci-e x16 and pci-e. Even that would kind of be a waste only thing good out of it would be a 64-bit upgrade, 4 more gb's of ram, maybe if I am lucky some 2.0 slots or Usb 3.0 haha. My build is aight right now but later on I want a good solid upgrade so I'll have to save up. I'm kind of a noob my dad does everything for me but I like computers and video games they are pretty dope.

No, DDR3 is dirt cheap, just use DDR3 RAM. Buying a DDR2 mobo that support up comming Ivy Bridge is going to be near impossible, more expensive than mass produced normal DDR3 mobo and also DDR2 will have a performance penalty.

Just come back and ask for advice on selecting part when you save up enough and ready for a new build.