Sign in with
Your question

Does the power supply affective my graphics card performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2012 10:09:49 AM

Hello,
i bought a geforce GTX 570 nvidia and i get around 60 frames on league of legends, the problem is my 9800 GT gets 60 frames on league too. the requirements for the GTX 570 is a 550w power supply mine is exactly 550w. is that why its not running like it should. the 9800 GT is a 100$ graphics card, the GTX 570 is a 300$ graphics card. for the price difference id expect better performance.
January 11, 2012 11:07:45 AM

u have 550Wpower supply u r a normal user graphics card and system work fine at the time of overclock and gaming graphics card need 550w then system take power from where so first buy greater powersupply to avoid system failure. buy 750W Or 1000W powersupply
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 226 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 11:10:31 AM

As long as the PSU meets the needs of your system (including the GPU), it has no effect on the frame rate of your game performance. If it was underpowered, or defective (referring to the PSU) you would have overheating, shutdowns/lockups, and other issues.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 11:17:51 AM

Hey drued, Try looking to see if you have Vsync turned on in the games settings. If you are running a 60hz monitor with vsync your gonna get a 60 fps
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 11:33:45 AM

hitechgowthaman said:
u have 550Wpower supply u r a normal user graphics card and system work fine at the time of overclock and gaming graphics card need 550w then system take power from where so first buy greater powersupply to avoid system failure. buy 750W Or 1000W powersupply

Huh ?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 226 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 11:34:51 AM

delluser1 said:
Huh ?

Agreed. My head still hurts from trying to decipher that post......
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 80 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:02:49 PM

i think Hitechgowthama meant that the OP needs bigger wattage psu to avoid system failure.
my attempt at deciphering...
Quote:
u have 550Wpower supply. u r a normal user graphics card and system work fine. at the time of overclock and gaming graphics card need 550w, then system take power from where? so first buy greater powersupply to avoid system failure. buy 750W Or 1000W powersupply.

anyway...
@drued123: what are your full specs?
what resolution did you use for both cards?
did you turn vsync/framelimiter on?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:13:05 PM

Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is higher than your average system.

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 181W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
Difference (GPU load) = 188W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts
END QUOTE

Based on above, 550 Watt PSU is plenty.
1) as others have pointed out if you were under powered, you would have other symtoms.
2) That said, It's always a good Idea to verify your voltages, UNDER LOAD.
While monitoring voltages, run prime 95 (which will also verify system stability of CPU/Memory) and/or Furmark (which will also test GPU). Look closely at +12V rail, spec is NO LOWER than 11.4V - I ditch a PSU if it hits 11.6 under load.

Added: I'm reminded of the person who said He could speek every language except Greek. When asked to speck Russian, he replied, Thats Greek to me.
But yes, agree with de5_roy's, He was impling that that 550 was Min and should go to a 750->1000W PSU - WHICH IS NOT THE CASE.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:22:15 PM

sometimes frame rates ( Maximum ) aren't gained by much going to a faster card. But the minimum FPS will be higher. Sounds more like CPU/system limitations. What is the rest of your hardware and at what res/monitor are you using ? and yes, a crappy power supply will have an effect on overall system performance when adding more power hungry components.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:23:45 PM

You're getting 60 fps because vertical sync is enabled which is capping your fps at a max of 60 to ensure screen tearing doesn't occur at high frame rates. If there's an option to turn of vertical sync do that, or try another game to compare performance increases.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 1:01:01 PM

de5_Roy said:
i think Hitechgowthama meant that the OP needs bigger wattage psu to avoid system failure.
my attempt at deciphering...
Quote:
u have 550Wpower supply. u r a normal user graphics card and system work fine. at the time of overclock and gaming graphics card need 550w, then system take power from where? so first buy greater powersupply to avoid system failure. buy 750W Or 1000W powersupply.

anyway...

I got the jist of what he was implying :lol: 
And I'm pretty sure COLGeek did as well ;) 
m
l
January 11, 2012 1:19:49 PM

It doesn't matter if you want more than 60fps cause you won't notice the difference above 30-40, and no, your eyes aren't special.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 226 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 3:32:26 PM

The bottom line here is that the PSU that drued123 is using is sufficient for the system now and a bigger/stronger PSU is not required and will not speed anything up.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 3:44:06 PM

greenrider02 said:
It doesn't matter if you want more than 60fps cause you won't notice the difference above 30-40, and no, your eyes aren't special.

you should play on a 60Hz monitor and then the same game on a 120Hz monitor. Then repeat the above statement. There's a grander "fluidity" on the higher refresh rate monitor.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 3:51:29 PM

I am going to go with the Vsync/sync every frame/vertical refresh ect.

If you turn it off, you will get more frames then the screen can display and some page tear effect.

Some users prefer the higher frame rate of vsync off(vs some who cant stand the page effect) as it improves mouse responsiveness.

I am also going to say, I can see more then 40fps, i wish i could not(would not have to upgrade as often). trust me.

Check your game options for vsync/vertical refresh/sync every frame. It does under many names.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 3:56:57 PM

^ concur w/swfty and nuke on frame rate and seeing a diff. Everyone is diff, some are bothered by florescent lights as the 60 Hz flicker bothers them.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:01:43 PM

Quote:
greenrider02 wrote :

you should play on a 60Hz monitor and then the same game on a 120Hz monitor. Then repeat the above statement. There's a grander "fluidity" on the higher refresh rate monitor.

I feel compelled to theorise exactly why there is an obvious difference between 60 and 120hz monitors.

Both statements are correct: Our eyes can not see more than around 30 fps yet we see the clear difference between 60hz and 120hz.. well, one eye can read about 30fps and every(most) humans have two eyes working together at around 60hz. So having the 120hz gives us the feeling that there is no delay between frame rendering.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 4:30:03 PM

akijon said:
Quote:
greenrider02 wrote :

I feel compelled to theorise exactly why there is an obvious difference between 60 and 120hz monitors.

Both statements are correct: Our eyes can not see more than around 30 fps yet we see the clear difference between 60hz and 120hz.. well, one eye can read about 30fps and every(most) humans have two eyes working together at around 60hz. So having the 120hz gives us the feeling that there is no delay between frame rendering.

I find those 120 and 240hz TV's just look almost too smooth if such a thing can happen. I can see then on display and instantly tell the 120 or 240s from the 60's. It is just the way the screen adds extra frames to smooth everything out. I bet it is great for sports, but for some movies, it gives a feeling of high speed video.

Back in the CRT days running 120hz did not feel this way as extra frames did not get added(Video files) and games just felt smoother with it.
m
l
January 11, 2012 5:04:25 PM

Drued, your game is probably capped at 60FPS, or has Vsync enabled. Check your graphics options in League of Legends to see if Vsync is checked, or check for an FPS cap. Disable Vsync if you want to see your frames go above 60. However, there is really no need for this. If you were running at 60FPS before though, I don't see why you needed to make such a big leap in graphics technology (unless other games were lacking... but it doesn't seem you've tested this). That being said...

What is your current system setup including CPU, Motherboard, amount of RAM? If you went from a 9800GT to a 570, I can be safe to assume you might be running older hardware and there could be a bottleneck (even though 60fps isn't much of one...).
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:18:33 AM

greenrider02 said:

the reason i want more frames is because when i pull my stream (i use xsplit) my frames drop down to 25 which makes the game laggy
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:24:17 AM

Rockdpm said:
Hey drued, Try looking to see if you have Vsync turned on in the games settings. If you are running a 60hz monitor with vsync your gonna get a 60 fps

i dont see this being the problem because when i stream with xsplit my frames drop to 25 and stay at 25
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 12, 2012 5:43:51 PM

I would check and see if there is an option in that program for frame rates.

The same will happen on Fraps/Xfire if you have the frame rate set to 25(what every you set it at, the games has to slow down to.)

In this case, it seems your software is giving you this 25 fps.

A quick Google shows you are not alone with that software and getting stuck at about 25 fps. If you are just saving files, try fraps(there should be a demo). I know you pay, but it may be worth it if the fps is better(and if you have an extra hard drive, recording to it will help things as well.).

For streaming, Xfire also has this option, may be worth a shot.
m
l
!