Sign in with
Your question

Workstation/cad/gaming build of 5600$

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 11:50:39 AM

hey guys,

i was enough to post dream build so i thought to build for myself.

i does have a limit :pt1cable:  :cry: 

Approximate Purchase Date: any time but within a month

Budget Range: 5500-5700$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: rendering with vray/ maya and cad programs/ heavy gaming on high to ultra settings

Parts Not Required: none (i require the whole system)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: show prices on newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel , nvidia and amd gpu, asus, gigabyte and evga motherboards(we dont have asrock yet), seasonic(i dout it ),corsair, xfx, corsair,gskill ,coolermaster ,logitech ,razer ,microsoft , sapphire , dell ,asus , acer , creative , samsung , sennheiser , and few others are available and preference

Overclocking: Yes , definately

SLI or Crossfire: if nedded but in future yes

Monitor Resolution: above 1920 x 1200 (would prefer a 19:10 monitor but not necessary)

Additional Comments: a powerful pc which can play games at ultra and i will prefer a 30/27" monitor instead of 3x23" and ips is my first preference, a full tower with dust filters :sol: 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 1:03:46 PM

come on guys post something
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 1:05:18 PM

ROFL
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 1:12:47 PM

???????
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 2:00:58 PM

The first problem is that the video cards required for great gaming don't work very well with CAD and other workstation type applications and the cards that are useful for CAD and other workstation type applications don't game very well. It's kind of a mutually exclusive situation here. With your budget, I would recommend two machines, one for the gaming and the other for the CAD, etc. You could get a KVM switch and share the keyboard, mouse & monitor between the two machines.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 2:09:00 PM

You will need to know the requirements of your CAD software and whether or not they are compatible with desktop cards. Some software such as Solid Edge do not behave nicely with non-professional cards and drivers
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:10:14 PM

Quote:
The first problem is that the video cards required for great gaming don't work very well with CAD and other workstation type applications and the cards that are useful for CAD and other workstation type applications don't game very well. It's kind of a mutually exclusive situation here.

thats why i posted for build :lol: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:16:24 PM

serialkiller said:
Quote:
The first problem is that the video cards required for great gaming don't work very well with CAD and other workstation type applications and the cards that are useful for CAD and other workstation type applications don't game very well. It's kind of a mutually exclusive situation here.[/clarkjd]

thats why i posted for build :lol: 

The point is that you are NOT going to get a single machine that will do CAD, ETC and gaming and do both at high levels of performance. :cry: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:18:49 PM

no i dont want a professional graphic card or i want both a pro graphic and gaming graphic and i will switch it when i want
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:25:50 PM

serialkiller said:
no i dont want a professional graphic card or i want both a pro graphic and gaming graphic and i will switch it when i want

It's more than just the physical cards. the drivers for the pro cards are optimized for pro applications and the drivers for gaming cards are optimized for, well, gaming. Are you going to uninstall and re-install graphics drivers when you swap the cards?

I think you have some unrealistic expectations... :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 4:59:45 PM

come on do some research i have read plenty of times that first install the professional drivers and install the pro gpu and then install the gaming ones and u can run both of them simultaniously to 2 monitors :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 5:13:05 PM

serialkiller said:
come on do some research i have read plenty of times that first install the professional drivers and install the pro gpu and then install the gaming ones and u can run both of them simultaniously to 2 monitors :D 

Go for it! You were the one asking for suggestions! If you know it works, then build it and share your success here! I am willing to learn ...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 5:24:49 PM

One of the things I have always loved about running an engineering business is that historically, great CAD machines made great game machines for a little after hours play. In fact, the "CAD PC Builders" pretty much got put outta business in the mid to late 90's by the explosion of boutique game box builders.

As the industry moved from CAD (which then consisted primarily of 2D line drawings) to rendering and ray trace effects, that started to change. GFX card vendors started twekaing their cards for 3D rendering application and the FireGL and Quadro type cards became separate and distinct from the consumer / gaming cards. Then peeps figured out how to hack drivers and use the same hardware for both. The vendors caught on and since made that as difficult as possible and further discussion on this topic would be inappropriate for a public forum.

But, outta the box, workstation cards don't make very good gaming cards. Gaming cards on the other hand, make pretty good CAD cards ..... and Im using CAD in the historical sense of 2D line drawings.....the date may actually be in 3D coordinates but the display is "flat" and not a 3D wireframe or perspective with all the lighting and other effects.

If I'm an architectural ? engineering student, I'm gonna be more interested in speed on the gaming side than when doing "homework". I'd get a nVidia card and use the CUDA plug in .... not sure if things have changed much since I last looked into it but SLI doesn't really help ya in rendering. If I am earning a living w/ CAD but only render occasionally, same thing.

On the other hand, if I am earning a living w/ CAD Rendering specifically, only doing presentations and pretty pictures to sell the job rather than doing the construction drawings, than I'd grab a Quadro at about the $450 and up.....the more ya spend, the more efficient you'll be.

At your price range .....

Level 10 GT Snow Case
Corsair HX 850 PSU
Asus Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Intel Core i7-3930K
NVidia 680 GPU in SLI or PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 Model 997050
ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
240 Gb Mushkin Chronois Deluxe SSD
Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB
Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler

To decide on the GFX, perhaps you wanna review the benchies here:

http://www.avadirect.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=946

Maya for example was about 6 x faster on the workstation card...... but again, if its 6 seconds versus 1 second, do you care ? It's gonna depend on the relative amount of time you spend doing each function.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 5:53:36 PM

Laughable.....
m
l
March 16, 2012 8:24:13 PM

Actually Some Of The Very High-End CAD Cards (Those Based On The GTX470 & 480) Game Very Well Just Not As Well As An Actual Gaming Card But They Are About 6x More In Price As Consumer Cards Based On The Same GPU, But Im Wondering If It Would Be Possible To Use Both A CAD And A Consumer Card As Long As They Were The Same Brand?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2012 5:10:03 AM

he thanks guys i think of going entirely with gaming cards

@JackNaylorPE

ur build is good but a few things

i want to reduce the time of render which takes about 12 hrs in with an hour if possible

a clustor might be possible. i am noob in clustors and supercomputing

then i would keep my current machine as gaming and the new workstation/cluster as rendering machine :D 

i hate that level 10 gt as it looks fuglly(i think so no objection)

i dont use blueray and mushkin is not my thing i prefer gskill and corsair sometimes hyperx(kingston) :D 

m
l
March 20, 2012 5:19:26 PM

Does your rendering software support distributed rendering? Just get one good gaming machine and about 3-4 servers. Network them together. Send the twelve hour render to your little render farm.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 20, 2012 5:50:44 PM

How do i do it

i use maya and max as well as after effects. v ray and i ray are mostly used but some times mental ray rendering :D 

just tell me how to network them together .

And thanks :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2012 4:08:15 AM

The main thing that a render engine uses is the cpu and for real time raytracing it uses gpu.

I diched the pro graphic card i want a gaming card and maybe a powerful cpu or two of those.
m
l
!