advice about DVD drive dirty

peter

My DVD drive (thomson) is having so much "disk dirty" problem, it's almost
impossible to finish a game. I would like to fix this AND also speed up

(1) buy a samsung replacement xbox dvd drive SD616, these cost around $50 to
$100 and requires some soldering and firmware flashing. Also, they are being
discountinued by samsung. Does that mean samsung is coming out with
newer/better model that can be used in xbox? $100 seems too steep for a new
drive; the xbox is selling for $150 new.

(2) I came across a web site that claims any generic PC dvd drive can be
connected to the xbox (with the original one still connected for copy
protection handshake). However, I lost the URL of this web page; I tried to
do it anyway from memory. It didn't work; I got error #7 after xbox boots
up. Could anyone give me a pointer to the correct web page? This would be
the cheapest solution since I have some spare PC dvd drives.

(3) hack the xbox OS and preload the games to the hard drive. This would
probably speed up games loading the most. Would I still need to buy a
special xbox DVD drive if I choose this solution?

I don't care if xbox live doesn't run. I just want my games to run reliably
and load quickly. Please advice. Thanks.

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My DVD drive (thomson) is having so much "disk dirty" problem, it's almost
> impossible to finish a game. I would like to fix this AND also speed up
>
> (1) buy a samsung replacement xbox dvd drive SD616, these cost around $50
> to $100 and requires some soldering and firmware flashing. Also, they are
> being discountinued by samsung. Does that mean samsung is coming out with
> newer/better model that can be used in xbox? $100 seems too steep for a
> new drive; the xbox is selling for $150 new.
>
> (2) I came across a web site that claims any generic PC dvd drive can be
> connected to the xbox (with the original one still connected for copy
> protection handshake). However, I lost the URL of this web page; I tried
> to do it anyway from memory. It didn't work; I got error #7 after xbox
> boots up. Could anyone give me a pointer to the correct web page? This
> would be the cheapest solution since I have some spare PC dvd drives.
>
> (3) hack the xbox OS and preload the games to the hard drive. This would
> probably speed up games loading the most. Would I still need to buy a
> special xbox DVD drive if I choose this solution?
>
> I don't care if xbox live doesn't run. I just want my games to run
> reliably and load quickly. Please advice. Thanks.

Brand new ones are available on ebay for 25-30 bux & all you have to do is
plug them in.

just type in xbox dvd drive into ebay

peter wrote:
> My DVD drive (thomson) is having so much "disk dirty" problem, it's almost
> impossible to finish a game. I would like to fix this AND also speed up
>
> (1) buy a samsung replacement xbox dvd drive SD616, these cost around $50 to
> $100 and requires some soldering and firmware flashing. Also, they are being
> discountinued by samsung. Does that mean samsung is coming out with
> newer/better model that can be used in xbox? $100 seems too steep for a new
> drive; the xbox is selling for $150 new.
>
> (2) I came across a web site that claims any generic PC dvd drive can be
> connected to the xbox (with the original one still connected for copy
> protection handshake). However, I lost the URL of this web page; I tried to
> do it anyway from memory. It didn't work; I got error #7 after xbox boots
> up. Could anyone give me a pointer to the correct web page? This would be
> the cheapest solution since I have some spare PC dvd drives.
>
> (3) hack the xbox OS and preload the games to the hard drive. This would
> probably speed up games loading the most. Would I still need to buy a
> special xbox DVD drive if I choose this solution?
>
> I don't care if xbox live doesn't run. I just want my games to run reliably
> and load quickly. Please advice. Thanks.

it is possible to hook up any dvd-drive to the xbox. If it is not a
drive that can be flashed for replacement then you must have both the
broken original and the replacement drive hooked up via a 3 channel ide
cable with a molex splitter to split power from the hard drive. the pros
to this are better media compatibility and faster loading times. the con
is that only backups can be played and you must eject both drives when
million times faster.