How to take good indoor pictures with Sony camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 7, 2005 10:01:34 PM

Under other thread, I mentioned pictures taken with Sony T1 camera (5 Mp)
were gorgeous when printed at Costco. All of these pictures were taken
outdoors. When pictures were taken indoors with default flash setting,
pictures were disappointing. I am wondering whether that is the inherent
problem with Sony's P&S camera or not. I am also wondering whether there
is a way to improve quality of pictures when pictures were taken indoor.
My feeling is that the built-in flash is too weak to brighten the
surrounding area. I wish to hear some tips from experienced people with
Sony cameras. craig
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:01:35 PM

"satoshi" <satoshi@thuntek.net> writes:
> outdoors. When pictures were taken indoors with default flash setting,
> pictures were disappointing. I am wondering whether that is the inherent
> problem with Sony's P&S camera or not.

It will be like that with all P&S cameras. You need an external flash
and good technique to get good results.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:47:36 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "satoshi" <satoshi@thuntek.net> writes:
>
>>outdoors. When pictures were taken indoors with default flash setting,
>>pictures were disappointing. I am wondering whether that is the inherent
>>problem with Sony's P&S camera or not.
>

> It will be like that with all P&S cameras. You need an external flash
> and good technique to get good results.

I have used 4 P/S digicams: 2Canon, 1Pentax and 1Panasonic.
None gave good indoor flash exposures at greater than 10 feet.
Of course, the manufacturer never claimed that the flash was usable
above 10 feet (at ISO 50-100).
I have cobbled together a little slave flash that triggers off my
camera's flash. If your camera has a preflash, you either de sensitize
the slave detector, (e.g., one or more thicknesses of Kleenex taped over
the sensor) or purchase a special digital flash which fires on the
second burst. It is somewhat of a PIA to carry around and use. But if
you MUST get the shot, it should work for you.
Bob Williams
!