Phenom 2 vs i3 2100 (in the future)

bayern

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
HI
I have a Phenom 2 955 which I bought year ago to last me about 5 years of gaming (instead of i3 2100) cause I thought that future games will need four cores.
1-so did I make a mistake?
2-does my phenom II generate heat more than i3 and which stock fan is quiter

this is only about gaming

Solution

nope you made the rite call. it may not last you 5 years but 4 true cores are better than 4 virtual 1s the chances are you would have had to upgrade the 2100 sooner rather than later as games become more advanced the dual cores will become less relevant regardless of platform...
so no you made the rite choice for your budget at the time... and dont forget if you need some extra the 955 can give it as they oc quite well for there dye size.
as...
Personally, I think it was a good purchase. Seems that more modern games are taking advantage of multiple cores and I believe the trend will continue that way - you have a few more years to see if I'm right.
As far as heat and noise, I do not know that info but you have the 4 core, IMO stick with it.

The phenom II 955 is a great chip. The i3 is also a great chip. I think you'd be fine with either. I'm not a fan of stock cooling solutions though. Even if you're not overclocking they tend to be a little loud for my liking. I've had both the i3-2120 and a Phenom II 980 (And a 840, and a B73 unlocked to a 973). They're all good gamers, all worth the money. All come with a less than desirable cooling system. Think about picking up an aftermarket cooler, it makes a world of difference.

future games might need more cores.
1. no. but expecting 5 more years out of a 2 year old cpu (at the time of oyur purchase).... i don't know what will happen in the future, but ph ii (after overclock) is as good as a core i3 for current games.
2. ph ii x4 955 is a 125w tdp cpu i.e. it dissipates 125w on load. core i3 is 65w tdp cpu. phenom dissipates more than core i3 on stock settings, more after overclock. you can try using a 3rd party cooler like cm hyper 212 evo if noise is an issue (always is, with stock fans).

nope you made the rite call. it may not last you 5 years but 4 true cores are better than 4 virtual 1s the chances are you would have had to upgrade the 2100 sooner rather than later as games become more advanced the dual cores will become less relevant regardless of platform...
so no you made the rite choice for your budget at the time... and dont forget if you need some extra the 955 can give it as they oc quite well for there dye size.
as for the heat de
de5_roy has answered that perfectly...

Solution