Cards get pretty hot. Is this normal?

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I have 2 x GTX 460 2gb cards and have them set up in SLI mode. Usually for very graphically intense games they might go up to 70 Celsius, sometimes mid 70s, but I've recently bought a second monitor and now use two monitors, and I've been playing Saints Row 3 on one monitor, and have the other monitor open on a web page, and I looked at my temperatures and both of them were at 88 degrees and I think one got to like 91-92 at some point (the max was that).

That is very high, right? Or is that okay? Should I look into some GPU fans or something? Both are stock models, one is the older one that blows out the side, and the other is the newer one that blows out the back.

I already have a case fan to help with the heat, but it's probably not enough. I've also tried hooking up both monitors to just the main card instead of one monitor per card, but the heat is still very high.

So what should I do about it?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Gpu's can run well over 100c, but I certainly wouldn't want mine running over 75c. You'll need to increase your cases airflow.

Make sure your intake is sucking from the floor and your exhaust is out the top/back.

Adding a side fan to blow on your cards is also a good idea.