Computer running hot! Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hi so recently its seemed that my fans have been running at very high RPMs so I downloaded a program that would allow me to check my temps and these are the results (pretty concerned!). By the way, I have my side panel detached and a 10 inch fan blowing into the side of the computer.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 running from 53-60 C

RAM: 8 GB Dual Channel DDR2 @402 MHz

Motherboard: AsusteK M3A78-CM running at 52 C

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800 running from 45-50 C

Not sure if these will help (I don't really know what they are):

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz

CPU Voltage varied from 1.34 to 1.376

My computer is running idle and getting these seemingly very high temps. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to try and lower them? I've cleaned out the dust using compressed air (though haven't cleaned the CPU or heatsink cause my tech know how is pretty limited).

Please help! Thanks!

Solution

Redoing the thermal paste isn't too difficult. Have a look here: Thermal Paste Removal/Installation Guide

As far as the other components go, those temps aren't absolutely terrible, but they could be better. If you have places in the case to add another fan or two, that would be my recommendation there. Otherwise, doing what you're doing now with the side off and the fan (while not the best way to go about it) will work and is basically your only other option. It just adds more dust to the...

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

How difficult is it to do that? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to hardware. Also the Hyper 212 Evo is only for the CPU, it seems like other parts of my PC are running really hot as well. Any idea what I could do with them?

Redoing the thermal paste isn't too difficult. Have a look here: Thermal Paste Removal/Installation Guide

As far as the other components go, those temps aren't absolutely terrible, but they could be better. If you have places in the case to add another fan or two, that would be my recommendation there. Otherwise, doing what you're doing now with the side off and the fan (while not the best way to go about it) will work and is basically your only other option. It just adds more dust to the situation.

Solution

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Thanks for your help! Basically what I did was remove the heatsink and found that there was virtually no thermal paste anymore so I'm going to reapply some soon. Also I cleaned out the heatsink as there was a lot of dust in it. My CPU temps are now sitting in the low 50s while idling and that should continue to drop when I add thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.