Whitch AMD CPUs of these 2 would be better for gaming

The 4170 for the stock clock speed alone. The 61xx CPU's really aren't worth it. All I personally recommend are a 4170 for gaming and a 8120/50 for everything else.

A OC'd 965 BE would be a great choice too (and my actual recommendation).

From what I was seeing with benchmarks, you should really avoid them. I would recommend an old Phenom II 955 BE over any of the Bulldozers.

If you can afford it, I would tell you to go with Intel easily. Something in the line of a core i5.

ClosestStorm

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Like this one http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processors/amdphenomx4/hdz965fbgmbox.html?

Yes, definitely that one. You could get a 980 BE too, but there's not really much point when you can OC the 965 BE.

yes I would definetly get it. I'm surprised you can find a place that still has them in stock. AMD stopped making the Phenom II in favor of the Bulldozer. The 965 has a better micro architecture and even though it's older it will out perform the Bulldozer in almost all games.

ClosestStorm

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Any idea mate what a safe overclock would be for it?

Honestly, no I don't. Don't have any experience with or much knowledge about the Phenom II's. I've seen ~4Ghz or a bit more be pretty common around here though.

They already stopped making the Phenom II and Athlon's which is why they are next to impossible to get a hold of them new unless you get lucky like this guy did. At this point you have to get lucky or buy one off of Ebay or something to actually get your hands on a Black Edition Phenom II.

Probably high 3 GHz range to mid 4 GHz. In reality you can't say because every chip is different. One person might be able to overclock it to 4.1 GHz and someone else might get it to 3.9 GHz. There are alot of things that play a role in how far you can overclock a CPU.

Room and enviroment temps especially now in the summer time
Cooling and type of cooler (a cheap aftermarket cooler vs a high-end cooler or water cooling)
motherboard
and just the chip itself. After a certain point it just becomes luck on how much further you can overclock.