Sign in with
Your question

Graphics run worse after upgrading power supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2012 1:49:45 PM

Ok so I upgraded from a crappy Raidmax 700w psu to a XFX PRO XXX 850w 80+ Silver PSU and now my graphics card (Crossfired 5850's) run much slower. It is like it cut my graphics power in half. Can anyone help me with this? I have no clue why this is happening and I hooked all the cables up perfectly. Is it in the BIOS? Do I have to install something after getting a new psu?
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 1:59:24 PM

Have you got crossfire enabled in CCC?

Changing a PSU shouldn't effect performance, and you don't need to install any software.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:01:22 PM

The only way it might be due to the new psu is if it were faulty and your cards weren't getting sufficient power.
Go back in, check all connections, reseat video cards, xfire bridge and power cables, doesn't matter if you think you did it perfectly the first time.
No help ? Put your old psu back in.
All better now ? You know what the problem was.
Still no help ? What else did you do in there ?
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2012 2:04:43 PM

Well it isn't a faulty psu and my other psu blew up so I had to upgrade. I remember my old one running alot better than this so I have no clue what is wrong. Crossfire is enabled and everything should be running smooth but its not. I have it plugged in to a power strip so I think that could be the problem. I am going to try unplugging my comp from that and plugging it in straight from the wall.
m
l
January 11, 2012 2:13:05 PM

nope that didnt do a thing.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:24:07 PM

If the old PSU blew up, it might have taken some hardware with it.

Run MSI Afterburner (or similar) to monitor GPU usage when gaming as well as to check that the clocks are changing properly to 3D mode.
m
l
January 11, 2012 2:27:42 PM

OK btw I removed the 2nd card just to see performance and it is worse. I'll run msi afterburner then take a picture and upload the results. Im kind of a newby when it comes to psu's and voltage but I know I got a good psu.
m
l
January 11, 2012 2:36:29 PM

wolfram23 said:
If the old PSU blew up, it might have taken some hardware with it.

Run MSI Afterburner (or similar) to monitor GPU usage when gaming as well as to check that the clocks are changing properly to 3D mode.

Does this show a problem? I am running the witcher 2 as the test in 1440x900 window mode.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:48:06 PM

That's fairly normal although I can't see what sort of framerate you're getting.

Let it run a little more and see if GPU usage is ever maxing out. You might also want to have Task Manager open to see CPU usage.

What are your system specs?
m
l
January 11, 2012 2:53:18 PM

wolfram23 said:
That's fairly normal although I can't see what sort of framerate you're getting.

Let it run a little more and see if GPU usage is ever maxing out. You might also want to have Task Manager open to see CPU usage.

What are your system specs?

I am getting 5-10 frames per second. That is a complete downgrade when I should be getting atleast 25 or more from a single 5850.

I have a 965 black edition x4 processor and 5gb of ram. I should be getting much better frames and I was until I upgraded my psu.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:13:11 PM

Huh. Well for a 5850 to be at 86% usage and only delivering 5-10fps, it's possibly not coming out of it's 2D idle clocks. Scroll down to the clocks graphs of Afterburner and check what they are doing.

Also, FYI, you can arrange the order of the graphs to put the relevant info all together, in the Settings menu.
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:13:57 PM

My motherboard is a M4A78T-E by asus.
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:19:57 PM

wolfram23 said:
Huh. Well for a 5850 to be at 86% usage and only delivering 5-10fps, it's possibly not coming out of it's 2D idle clocks. Scroll down to the clocks graphs of Afterburner and check what they are doing.

Also, FYI, you can arrange the order of the graphs to put the relevant info all together, in the Settings menu.

Ok I'll do that in and get back to you in possibly 10 minutes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:28:56 PM

Can we get a GPU-Z ss as well ?
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:34:47 PM

wolfram23 said:

Here is the Heaven Benchmark info showing everything is running on maximum power. Do you think it could be my cou that's running slower?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:37:23 PM

That is so wierd... looks good in the screen shot except for the super low framerate.

I doubt it's the CPU, because if it was then you wouldn't usually be able to max out GPU usage.

Just to check, have you tried resetting CCC to default settings? Just in case you're forcing like 8xSSAA or something...
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:48:34 PM

Yeah I set everything to default. I am going to try auto tuning my cpu and gpu. I am using 11.12 cap 2 with 11.12 drivers so Maybe thats the problem because I updated my drivers right after I installed everything.
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:49:41 PM

Maybe something in regedit could be holding it back?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:58:53 PM

Seems like 1.4V is normal for stock.

Also, your 5gb of RAM... that's screwing up your memory bandwidth. Dual channel RAM is way faster than single channel, and to have dual channel each channel needs to have identical RAM configurations. Unless you're using 512mb chips... but usually it's 2x2gb, 2x3gb, 2x4gb, 4x2gb, etc. If you have, like, 2x2gb+2x512mb you'd be ok.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:03:52 PM

I have 2x2gb and 1x1gb. I only have 3 available ram slots. I was going to upgrade to 2x4gb ram and 1x2gb of ram to make 10gb. Should I remove the 1gb stick? also if I get my 2 4gb sticks and keep 1 2 gb stick would that screw it up?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 4:05:51 PM

1.5 volts = death for an overclock on that processor...

sorry im thinking about phenom 2 six core ... lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 4:09:17 PM

Phoenix319 said:
I have 2x2gb and 1x1gb. I only have 3 available ram slots. I was going to upgrade to 2x4gb ram and 1x2gb of ram to make 10gb. Should I remove the 1gb stick? also if I get my 2 4gb sticks and keep 1 2 gb stick would that screw it up?

you need a 64 bit version of windows home premium or higher in order to address more than 4GBs of ram.. keep that in mind..
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:10:33 PM

goodguy713 said:
1.5 volts = death for an overclock on that processor...

Are you saying my CPU is going to burn out if it stays at 1.5 volts? That was just a cpu test.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 4:11:21 PM

What do you mean you have 3 available? Because 1 is blocked?

Definitely remove the 1gb stick. You'll probably see some improvement. I know from a previous post a while back, a guy saw a huge increase in 3DMark scores, especially the physics score, by changing to dual channel from single.

4gb of RAM is fine.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:11:48 PM

goodguy713 said:
you need a 64 bit version of windows home premium or higher in order to address more than 4GBs of ram.. keep that in mind..

Yeah that's what I have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 4:13:18 PM

Phoenix319 said:
Are you saying my CPU is going to burn out if it stays at 1.5 volts? That was just a cpu test.

im thinking of the phenom 2 6 cores .. sorry man .. lol i have to say 1.5 volts sounds a bit high though.. it would kill my processor.. with that much... im thinking 1.475 max ...
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 4:13:33 PM

Phoenix319 said:

It's very high, and it should only be at 1.4V which is the stock voltage.

Also, http://www.anandtech.com/show/2821

They were able to undervolt it at stock speeds to 1.24V
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:13:39 PM

wolfram23 said:
What do you mean you have 3 available? Because 1 is blocked?

Definitely remove the 1gb stick. You'll probably see some improvement. I know from a previous post a while back, a guy saw a huge increase in 3DMark scores, especially the physics score, by changing to dual channel from single.

4gb of RAM is fine.

Still going to upgrade to 8gb anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not letting this escape from me.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 4:15:27 PM

That's a good idea, but in the mean time I'd go with 4gb in dual channel mode.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:18:23 PM

I removed the 1gb stick and still see no difference in the heaven benchmark.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:25:49 PM

Why am I getting the lowest frames I ever had after installing a new PSU? It is a really good one and I installed everything right. I have both of the main PCI-E 6pin connectors plugged in to the single 5850 and yet my frames are cut in half or more. What is causing this issue? Not Ram, Not GPU, Not CPU. Is it the Motherboard?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 4:26:56 PM

Well if you can't get ahold of a different PSU to test with, there's a few things to try just to eliminate possibilities.

Try resetting your Mobo CMOS. Simply unplug the PSU and either use the CMOS jumper or remove the battery for about a minute.

Try completely uninstalling your GPU drivers and the CAP, run Driver Sweeper, and then reinstall fresh (see my blog for instructions). I'd do this with both cards installed.

Try a Windows repair install, or even a fresh install.

Replacing a PSU shouldn't cause this much issue, but if the old one died while you were using the PC it might have corrupted files if it didn't outright burn out some hardware.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:30:40 PM

Alright I will try the first one and get back to you. I have to be leaving soon and wont be back until 6 hours maybe so see ya. Thanks for the help and I will see you guys later.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:46:05 PM

Removing and puuting back in the CMOS didn't work. on to the next one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 8:11:21 PM

Phoenix319 said:
Why am I getting the lowest frames I ever had after installing a new PSU? It is a really good one and I installed everything right. I have both of the main PCI-E 6pin connectors plugged in to the single 5850 and yet my frames are cut in half or more. What is causing this issue? Not Ram, Not GPU, Not CPU. Is it the Motherboard?

ok heres the deal man .. i know this sounds like a pain but if i were you id just try reinstalling the graphics drivers and go from there .. i was having issues with my 6870s at one point when i swapped out and ultra x4 with a corsair pro gold .. but i also added a new card to be more specific i found that when i put the newer card in first 16x slot the pair performed better also there maybe consider rolling back the drivers ... none the less it was kinda buggy at first but after a bit i figgured it out .. i wound up having to reinstall the drivers while they were not in crossfire mode.. in order for it to take properly
m
l
January 11, 2012 8:24:28 PM

I re-installed the drivers and everything. I used driver sweeper and tried everything I could except for clean install of windows. I guess thats my only option. well I will get back to you guys and see if that worked.
m
l
January 11, 2012 8:49:49 PM

Its taking a while to backup necessary files so it will probably take about 2 - 3 hours.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 9:30:18 PM

No worries. I really hope it helps. If not then it's likely a faulty PSU - which sucks a lot since that is definitely supposed to be a nice quality unit.
m
l
January 11, 2012 10:04:09 PM

wolfram23 said:
No worries. I really hope it helps. If not then it's likely a faulty PSU - which sucks a lot since that is definitely supposed to be a nice quality unit.

Thanks for the help. If it is faulty then I guess I will have to contact newegg. I am going to try getting it professionally installed by the company who built my computer for me if I get a new one.
m
l
!