BIOS Beeps - Random Freezings

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigadager

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I made a topic yesterday concerning a few computer problems I have. At random intervals, whether's it's during actual computer time, during startup, during system repairs, during the BIOS, the computer would lock up, freeze, and refuse to do anything. Sometimes it wouldn't freeze up for a few hours, and sometimes it would happen ten seconds in.

A friend pointed me to this link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beeps-and-codes

And in it it said:

1 long, 3 short - Conventional/Extended memory failure

What does this mean? Is this the reason for my sudden crashes, or is it some other hardware problem (I'm leaning towards a faulty motherboard)?

Here are my specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz 27 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-25)
Motherboard
MSI H67MS-E43 (MS-7678) (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
LCD TV (1366x768@29Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Hard Drives
733GB Seagate ST3750640NS ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST c ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Solution
I would try to test the RAM. How many sticks of RAM do you have? I would also download Memtest 86+ and run it. It will check for RAM errors.

Not really all you have to do is test one stick at a time or if you have a dual memory channel test it one pair at a time. Either way you'll be able to troubleshoot and figure out if it's the ram stick(s) or one of the memory slots.

gigadager

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Actually, while I was watching a few videos on YouTube, I noticed that it STARTS with a long beep, followed by three short beeps.

On my computer, it's three brief beeps, followed by a longer one (Not really sustained; just not as quick) before the computer loads up the OS and continues on its way.

Is that the same?

I also forgot the mention that the BIOS is broken and distorted, which has led me to believe that it's faulty. =/

gigadager

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Okay, two things:

My BIOS wasn't broken after all. It's just that my LCD TV stretched it out so far that it was hardly functional.

And I did what you guys told me to do and tested the RAM sticks one by one. One works. The other doesn't. That's a step in a good direction. =) I'll get back to you with a few more tests.

gigadager

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Yeah, one of them is bad, but even though I've removed it (Other is functional), my computer is still freezing. =/

If it helps, it doesn't freeze at all during Safe Mode. XD

I may have to replace the motherboard and the RAM. If those two aren't the problem, then it may be the harddrive... God knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.