*WHY* wait for Keppler / Ivy?

I've seen several dozen threads in the last few weeks or so where the first reply is almost always: wait.

But why? Have we seen a physical product from Intel or NVIDIA yet? Do we even know an exact release date? No. No matter how many times Ivy crops up - it's almost always that Intel is pushing back the release date further and further. NVIDIA's specification sheet has been leaked - but that's just it - it's been leaked.

As far as Ivy goes the only CPU that's been confirmed so far is the i5-3770K and even the hardcore Intel fans here will only admit that the 3770K will offer a 10% increase in performance over the already proven i5-2500K.

Right now all that's going on with Keppler and Ivy is hype. And people here are buying it. NVIDIA and Intel are playing the same PR noise machine that Apple plays and they're doing it quite well. After the fiasco surround AMD's Bulldozer/FX/Zambezi CPUs, they can say whatever they want but until the GPUs and CPUs are out and benchmarked, all it is is the PR noise machine at work.
32 answers Last reply
More about wait keppler
  1. Meh I don't really wait for anything. I buy what I want/need right now (or whenever the time is to do upgrading :) )

    In my case I wanted to buy something -right now- and it just so happened the 7950 was available :D (as you already know GUNIT1111).

    However - if there are other people waiting to upgrade...and they are die-hard nvidia fans, sure maybe keplar /ivy will be a great platform.

    Also - i'm getting tired of the "Radeon drivers suck". Most of the time it's because people don't set up their computer properly...or don't uninstall old drivers which cause problems or don't have a big enough power supply. I've had 0 issues with my 7950 so far - with the exception of crysis, however I don't think it's a GPU issue as my other games work fine (crysis freezes every once in a while, seems to only happen when changing my Armor/speed/cloak). But my other games are fine.
  2. If you're in a position where you can't wait, I'll agree that the unknow /missing data on the upcoming tech shouldn't stop you from getting the best bang for the buck right now.

    If you can still live with your current rig for another 2 months or so, hoping more concrete info pops up on the new CPU/GPU might be wise; if they don't differ much in price but offer an increase in performance, it's a win-win. I will even possibly bring the price down on last gen stuff!

    If we were talking about a 5-6 month wait, then screw that, buy now!
  3. http://www.techpowerup.com/162498/GTX-680-Generally-Faster-Than-HD-7970-New-Benchmarks.html

    take a look at this... i mean don't expect to see a full review yet... but i don't think it's fake either... so if you can't wait... hd 7900 series is always an option... but right now... all information points out that gtx 680 is faster than hd 7970... even not by much....
  4. dechy said:
    If you're in a position where you can't wait, I'll agree that the unknow /missing data on the upcoming tech shouldn't stop you from getting the best bang for the buck right now.

    If you can still live with your current rig for another 2 months or so, hoping more concrete info pops up on the new CPU/GPU might be wise; if they don't differ much in price but offer an increase in performance, it's a win-win. I will even possibly bring the price down on last gen stuff!

    If we were talking about a 5-6 month wait, then screw that, buy now!


    Exactly! If we're still talking 5 - 6 months out it's pointless to wait. Every time I see the new NVIDIA GPUs and Intel CPUs in the news - it's always that they're getting pushed back and pushed back- and I never see a concrete release date either - some people say April / May, others see August / September - it's just nobody knows yet.

    Quote:
    take a look at this... i mean don't expect to see a full review yet... but i don't think it's fake either... so if you can't wait... hd 7900 series is always an option... but right now... all information points out that gtx 680 is faster than hd 7970... even not by much....


    If it's not a full review and there's no physical product yet - I'm not buying it. It's all PR hype to me right now. Sorry - it's just I'm incredibly skeptical that way.
  5. If something new is going to be released soon, you may wait because

    1) if you get it, you will have the newest hardware (that possibly last longer at top performance, at least in theory)
    2) it might affect prices in your favour

    Besides, waiting a week or a month isn't bad if an upgrade is not urgent.
  6. well I'm waiting for IB... but it's because my current system is still working fine... and the only IB processors that have been pushed back are the dual core laptop procs... unless you have some news I'm unaware of... I already have an unlocked 6950 so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade gpu...

    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  7. With how fast technology progresses, there is always something new around the corner. I always buy what suits me when I need it.
  8. g-unit1111 said:
    Exactly! If we're still talking 5 - 6 months out it's pointless to wait. Every time I see the new NVIDIA GPUs and Intel CPUs in the news - it's always that they're getting pushed back and pushed back- and I never see a concrete release date either - some people say April / May, others see August / September - it's just nobody knows yet.

    Quote:
    take a look at this... i mean don't expect to see a full review yet... but i don't think it's fake either... so if you can't wait... hd 7900 series is always an option... but right now... all information points out that gtx 680 is faster than hd 7970... even not by much....


    If it's not a full review and there's no physical product yet - I'm not buying it. It's all PR hype to me right now. Sorry - it's just I'm incredibly skeptical that way.



    it's only a week from now whether it's pr hype or not we shall see... but to me if that is the case it won't benefit nvidia in any way...
  9. A week? Lol. The GTX 680 doesn't get released till quarter THREE of 2012, which is October-December. For me, since the 7850 is available in a few days, I can wait, but 3 months for IB when my current computer can't even do simple browsing without lag? NO WAY.
  10. azeem40 said:
    A week? Lol. The GTX 680 doesn't get released till quarter THREE of 2012, which is October-December. For me, since the 7850 is available in a few days, I can wait, but 3 months for IB when my current computer can't even do simple browsing without lag? NO WAY.

    Q3 of 2012 would be July-September...
  11. azeem40 said:
    A week? Lol. The GTX 680 doesn't get released till quarter THREE of 2012, which is October-December. For me, since the 7850 is available in a few days, I can wait, but 3 months for IB when my current computer can't even do simple browsing without lag? NO WAY.


    http://www.techpowerup.com/162498/GTX-680-Generally-Faster-Than-HD-7970-New-Benchmarks.html

    you should read that... a reviewer already got a sample of gtx 680.... how come a retail sample is in a reviewer hand but only out in the market so late? i think the chip you mentioned about is gk110/112...
  12. Ignore this.
  13. most of information pointed out that it is scheduled on march 22nd/23rd launch day... we shall see if that's correct.... or totally wrong....
  14. Read updated post. It sure will be funny if Kepler is not up to everyone's expectations. Honestly, I will probably laugh. :b
  15. As far as Ivybridge goes we know what to expect from that with Anandtech's preview review. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k Now that tells us what to expect from it when it comes out in the next few months and I like what I see especially in CPU limited games.

    As for the GTX680 news sites are saying it will be out on March 23rd which is one week from now. As to what Nvidia card is released or if one is we will see but it is ONE week away. As far as an Nvidia card being released in the July-Sept timeframe I don't know maybe it is what was known as the GTX680 (codename) in the leaks but supposedly we are getting A GTX 680 a week from now.
  16. azeem40 said:
    A week? Lol. The GTX 680 doesn't get released till quarter THREE of 2012, which is October-December. For me, since the 7850 is available in a few days, I can wait, but 3 months for IB when my current computer can't even do simple browsing without lag? NO WAY.


    That's where it would make sense to wait - if you're upgrading. If you're building a whole new computer though I think it all depends on the primary budget but the thing is it's the user's system - not ours so we can't really dictate what they decide to do or not.
  17. I am waiting for ivy bridge and kepler because I became obsessed with this hardware business. I want to collect a rig just because I love hardware and the fact of having a beautiful pc configuration , not because I actually need it.

    T_T , I hope this sickness has a cure.
  18. W00T! Got 2 Radeon 7850s in CF! :D
  19. wait for IB? NO
    wait for kepler? YES

    it has to do with the time frame of waiting; if its not a long period or the "leaked" performance is potentially large; then what could be the harm if the build or upgrade isn't urgent?

    but if someone wants to wait for IB to get potentially 10% more for the same price, cool. but if i am sitting on a LGA 775 celeron . . . .why am i waiting?

    oh yeah cuz i am slow like the cpu!
  20. The only point in waiting is if you need a cuda based GPU. I assume there won't be a massive increase in performance with Ivy, only minor. the 7000 ati/amd cards offer great performance. There will always be something new around the corner. If you are ready now, go for it now. If you are happy with your current rig, then wait.

    There are no release dates finalized, and no benchmarks out. If you are ready now, there are so many amazing products out now.
  21. azeem y u no buy 7870 :( has anyone bought it that can give feedback?

    I think g-unit1111 was gonna buy it ! come on g-unit !
  22. If you're not looking to buy the best hardware, it's not really a benefit to wait to buy hardware unless it's right around the corner (i.e. a week or two).

    If you're looking for the absolute best to run in your PC for 2-3 years, you're best off waiting until the new releases like Kepler come out before splurging.

    Ivy Bridge is really an incremental upgrade since all it really adds are lower power requirements. I think it'll have a use, but probably for mainstream users rather than enthusiasts.
    I'll probably buy one to replace my i3 because A) I can't afford it for a few months, which is when we'll probably see them, B) I'm going to repurpose my i3 in a low-power build, and C) my gf is going to start working for Intel this summer, so I'll be able to get massive hardware discounts since she'll never use them :D Now I just need to know someone at Nvidia... ;)

    Also, I thought Intel was having fab problems with IB chips?
  23. azeem40 said:
    A week? Lol. The GTX 680 doesn't get released till quarter THREE of 2012, which is October-December. For me, since the 7850 is available in a few days, I can wait, but 3 months for IB when my current computer can't even do simple browsing without lag? NO WAY.

    where is the link????
    march 23rd 2012 the release date of gk104. so the 680 will come in less than a week- http://www.overclock.net/t/1223516/softpedia-release-date-of-nvidia-kepler-gk-104-march-23
  24. boiler1990 said:
    If you're not looking to buy the best hardware, it's not really a benefit to wait to buy hardware unless it's right around the corner (i.e. a week or two).

    If you're looking for the absolute best to run in your PC for 2-3 years, you're best off waiting until the new releases like Kepler come out before splurging.



    This is pretty much the exact kind of advice I came here today to find. I'm not a computer hardware enthusiast (at least not to nearly the same degree as most on this board), but I appreciate the value of an informed opinion, so I come here. I'm the kind of user that only upgrades when my machine begins to inconvenience me. I'm not very active in games that require exceptional hardware, so my computers usually last me a long time. However, my single core mobile sempron laptop from 2007 is kinda on its way out, so I'm looking to build a new replacement machine that will last 3 years or more and handle all the stuff I throw at it (the most rigorous of which is probably video editing, multicore programs I write, and decent performance on a couple games).

    I don't want to derail the thread with my particular needs, but just wanted to express that I am glad I stumbled into this conversation.
  25. sinthoras said:
    azeem y u no buy 7870 :( has anyone bought it that can give feedback?

    I think g-unit1111 was gonna buy it ! come on g-unit !


    I'm getting one as soon as I get my tax refund. :bounce:
  26. The reason I am not getting the 7870.is because I cant crossfire it on my $1800 budget. 2 7850s decimated one 7970, and that convinced me to buy it.
  27. azeem and g-unit1111 are you expecting any driver update problems with 7870 or 7850? because I've been informed that it is always a pain with driver updates when you buy a new-released GPU. Do you think we will suffer for the first 2 months at least?
  28. I don't expect to. Most driver problems arise from the end User.
  29. sinthoras said:
    azeem and g-unit1111 are you expecting any driver update problems with 7870 or 7850? because I've been informed that it is always a pain with driver updates when you buy a new-released GPU. Do you think we will suffer for the first 2 months at least?


    AMD is usually really good about fixing driver problems - better than ATI was. If there's a problem it will be corrected in the next version of Catalyst.

    Quote:
    The reason I am not getting the 7870.is because I cant crossfire it on my $1800 budget. 2 7850s decimated one 7970, and that convinced me to buy it.


    Interesting - I haven't seen those benchmarks yet but that is seriously convincing, I may get one 7850 and then a second one later on for Crossfire - if it's that good. I can't afford a single 7970 but I could do two 7850's.
  30. According to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BeKb9M5zV0 the CF 7850 gives huge framerates compared to the 7950 single card. What the video does not state is that another advantage of the 7850 CF config is that it only uses a few more watts than the single 7950 does. A 650W PSU is all you need for CF 7850s.

    I found a review on the GTX 680. It is below.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkepc.com%2F7672
  31. azeem40 said:
    According to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BeKb9M5zV0 the CF 7850 gives huge framerates compared to the 7950 single card. What the video does not state is that another advantage of the 7850 CF config is that it only uses a few more watts than the single 7950 does. A 650W PSU is all you need for CF 7850s.

    I found a review on the GTX 680. It is below.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkepc.com%2F7672


    This picture in that review made it seem like there was a halo over it:



    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  32. g-unit1111 said:
    This picture in that review made it seem like there was a halo over it:

    http://www.hkepc.com/database/images/2012/03/450x338/1621204242776617920.jpg

    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


    l0lz
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel Nvidia Systems