Sign in with
Your question

HP w/AMD phenomIIX4 and Power upgrade problem.

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2012 6:15:55 PM

Hello,
Just joined even though I've been reading stuff here for years. Great Site!

I've got an HP Desktop that has an AMD phenom II x 4. It only has a 250 watt power supply.

I've been trying to upgrade the power supply and Graphics to something that will handle BF3. I tried the power supply first. It has a P4 cable that feeds the CPU its power. I bought an 800 watt Cosair last November and they would run great for a bit then go dead. (this is even with out adding a Graphics card as I'm still using the stock on-board graphics chipset.)

I went to Newegg twice with this and they replaced the PSU ... twice. The Third time :fou:  the Newegg warranty was expired so I got a refund from Corsair.

Note: The Corsair I was trying out didn't have the P4 cable so I made one and used one of the 12 volt disk drive lines to feed the CPU as per Here:

All three times= when I replaced the PSU with the orginal every thing worked fine!.. go figure??

So as a result- I can try another power supply or build a new computer.

I'd kinda like to just try another power supply. On Newegg I found a 550 watt power supply that has a P4 connector (Antec BP550) but my only worry is having enough Amperage to run whatever Graphics card I eventually choose for my BF3 game. I found some links on this site to P4 problems and some Antec PSU's were suggested but none are sold anymore. I guess the P4 connector is a thing of the past.

The reason for this Posting Is to see if anyone has had this experience upgrading an HP machine? :pt1cable:  Anyone have a higher amperage PSU they'd like to part with that has a P4 connector and would handle a fast Amp devouring Graphics card? :hello: 
This site has a great set of "smilies" (grin)

a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
June 30, 2012 9:38:01 PM

The 8 pin EPS connector is just two 4 pin P4 connectors side by side. Most PSU's come with the EPS that can be seperated into two p4 connecotrs and in their specs you'll see it listed as 4+4 EPS. A 4 pin EPS can be used in your p4 motherboard connector.

If you dont overclock 450ish is more than enough for most GPU's and 600w would give you some overclocking headroom.
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:51:25 PM

Thanks...

I'll most likely go with that 550 I mentioned. It has 3 rails of 12 volts which is more than the Corsair had at 800 watts.

Next.. it's on to the graphics board selection. Lot's to choose from - lots of options, price ranges, and brands. Got to go with the suggestions EA has as I read that many have problems in the display area. High horsepower games are demanding.

I'm really amazed at what they are doing in this field of home computers and games. :pt1cable: 

Thanks again Popatim

Buzz
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 2:48:57 PM

More 12V rails is not better than a bigger single 12V rail
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:34:34 PM

I suppose it would depend on how their built coming out of the secondary of the transformer. Separate windings.. or sharing the same winding.

I'll take it apart, if I can, when it gets here.

Buzz :hello: 
m
l
July 16, 2012 1:19:19 PM

:bounce: 

Got my new PSU.

Yup.. it works fine and the Fan is soooo quiet. I had to check it with my hand to even see if it was running! :lol: 

I was going to open it up but I didn't want to void my Warrantee.

My plan now is to run this PSU for a few months an then go after a Graphics card and the "Game" (bf3).

I thank you much for the replies on my thread. -Greatly appreciated indeed. :) 

Best Regards,

Buzz

m
l
!