Sign in with
Your question

Computer desktop wont turn on

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2012 5:53:04 PM

Hello,my gateway computer wont turn on and it did the morning before i have no idea why considering its barely 2 years old and ive done nothing but treated it good , Idk if this mite be why but i put a grapchics card in on an intergrated one with both on and it was working good , but I noticed when hitting tab it would sometimes lock on a black screen not frozen but i couldnt do anything but force shut it down , the last time it worked i had to hit the power like 4 timesthen 5 secconds later it turned on and worked fine but no luch since then

March 16, 2012 6:26:14 PM

Have you tried removing the new GPU and seeing if the system will start?
When you installed the new GPU, did you:
-- Attach all the required external power connectors from the PSU?
-- Load the current drivers that you downloaded from the GPU manufacturer's Support website?
March 16, 2012 7:37:59 PM

thanks for helping i dont know much about comps if you mean the grapchics card it was just a one push plug in and then i installed it with a disc, my friend who gave me the card helped and he was even here when my comp wouldnt turn on and couldnt find out what it was sorry for the lazzy typing , and if u do mean the grapchics card yeah we removed that and still nothing
Related resources
March 16, 2012 8:09:55 PM

treefrog07 said:
Have you tried removing the new GPU and seeing if the system will start?
When you installed the new GPU, did you:
-- Attach all the required external power connectors from the PSU?
-- Load the current drivers that you downloaded from the GPU manufacturer's Support website?

yes and the gpu didnt need extra power,and yes with the install disc
March 16, 2012 8:27:31 PM

Unplug the PC completely from the power outlet for a few minutes and see if that helps.
March 16, 2012 8:30:13 PM

already have and held power button for 15 to drain xtra charge and nothing
March 16, 2012 8:50:56 PM

You get no lights, no fans, nothing when you push the power button? If so, just double check and make sure it's nothing stupid like you don't remember flipping the PSU switch or surge protector switch to the off position.

I know it sounds rudimentary but troubleshooting something for a while and you end up forgetting the simple shlt.
March 16, 2012 9:05:06 PM

hey man im open for ideas anything helps and the thing is why would it be something like that if i played on that grapchics card fr a good 3-4 days the only problems were switching back and forth bettween the game and your home screen and bringing it back up again it would freeze i couldnt use task manager or anything but it wasnt completely frozen i would hit the power and it instantly come out of being frozen, i didnt hold it and i would hit cancel and it would work fine without restarting it the last thing that happend i was waching tv the other night and forgot to turn it off and when i whent to i noticed it was frozen like i was going in between a game and my desktop and back again so i shut it down , no chance to cancel but weird thing happen! it shut down but instantly snaped back on showing whats i had on my desktop before it froze and it worked fine but kinda slow , so i turned it off and when i came back i couldnt get it to run at all ive been looking up problems all morning even the computer brand and it seems like this gateway brand desktop seems to start crapping out on alot of people after a year or 2 funny thing is my warrenty just ran out in 2011,back to my point is it also seems alot of peoples power suplies just failed , im stumped though hounestly this desktop has been non stop perect condition and only started going kinda weird when i put that graphics card in OR maybe the recent microsoft updates i installed? i ran about 4 avast virus scans prior to all of this wondering why it was kinda being a bit diferent
March 16, 2012 10:55:13 PM

wow. not sure i read all that correctly. I'm old enough to still need punctuation.

Here is a guide to no boot/no video: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

You PC is prebuilt so some of the step are a little different, but read it first.

Then, unplug all USB and network devices from your PC. No printers, no external disks, no keyboard, no mouse, no mp3 player, scanner, etc. get them all off your pc. Pull the network cable.

The unplug your PC. Wait a min. Plug it it. Hit the power button. (I know you did this before, this is just to get to a common starting state).

Now describe everything you see and hear. Did the monitor come out of sleep, but show nothing? Did the CPU and Power supply fans spin? Did the disk spin up? Any beeping noises? Any lights on? etc.

March 16, 2012 11:04:53 PM

ok sorry for the bad spelling i havent done everything u just said but looking at that website on my computer I have both of the 4/8 cpu plug and 8/8 plugs in they both were before i put the graphics card in and both power cords are in the same place and i will do exactly what u say rightnow
March 16, 2012 11:08:48 PM

and I have never installed anything else on this or anyone just that little grapchics card tht didnt need a power suply
March 16, 2012 11:25:43 PM

nothing at all but i pluged the internet in and thats lashing
!