Onlive like centrallized home gaming server?

hayest

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Is it possible to create a super gaming/rendering server and distribute it in an Onlive fashion across a home network?

I am building a new house and am planning to wire it with Cat 6a which allows 10Gb/s speed, which will provide more than enough bandwidth for this work.

But, is there a current way to even conduct this? Because it would be awesome to have one "supercomputer" and be able to use it at any computer or TV throughout the house or even stream to multiple TV/computers and play multiplayer.

FYI
Every TV in the house is going to have a small/cheap media PC hooked to it and as such the "gaming/rendering" server would also act as a media server if possible.

I think the complexity of what you want to try doing wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Why not build some cheap A8 based media PC's and just network them that way if your planning on setting one up anyways for each TV? They have great GPU's in them and decent CPU's, plus they are a good price for what they offer.

hayest

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Thanks for your response!

I was thinking this could be an interesting experiment and was wondering if anyone had done something similar or if there was even facilities to be able to do so.

I am thinking about doing something similar to the A8 but with whatever is the best value of the day.
Most likely the A10 Trinity will be out by that time and I would most definitely get the k version of that one.

Yeah that would be cool to see though. I'm actually curious if anyone has tried this before. If anyone has or done this before...we would like to hear from you!

Trinity would be a great choice as well. Considering how well the A8's do - Trinity should make an excellent HTPC/Lanbox.