HTPC for 1080p Playback & Streaming?

unRendered

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Everyone!

I've been doing a lot of reading on various sites for an HTPC build that suits my needs. I feel as if I've gone mad as I keep going back and forth on what to get, so, I figured I'd start ANOTHER thread asking for advice. Here is what I'm looking for:

Approximate Purchase Date: the sooner the better.

Budget Range: (<) $300. Will spend more if necessary.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming 1080p (high bit rate) MKVs from my network server, stream Netflix/Hulu/Vudu etc.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, TV, speakers, storage drives.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or amazon.

Parts Preferences: mITX or mATX.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

Additional Comments: I will not be playing any games and I will not be ripping any BDs or DVDs on this rig. I'm looking for something that's low-power, as I will have this on 24/7. I'd also like for this to be as quiet as possible. I plan to run XBMC. Lastly, I'd rather not mess around with a picoPSU but can if the price is right.

Thanks for the help and being such an awesome community!!

(FYI - I've also posted this on the XBMC forums)

ctclements

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
This looks like exactly what I'm looking to build. What kind of hard drive would you recommend in the 2tb range? Also, I am going to be hooking the hdmi up to my 3D TV, how bad would performance be affected if I used the VGA and DVI to hook my HTPC up to 2 24 inch monitors? I'm interested in using this as a basic computer for things like word on the 24 inch monitors, but also being able to play my 1080p movies on the big screen.

ctclements

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
To answer part of my question, I did a little more research and it looks like I would need either multiple graphics cards or a graphics card with a display port to be able to use 3 screens.