Closed Solved

Looking for a quiet-ish video card.

I've got a computer that has a GTX 460 (Asus ENGTX460 TOP DirectCu), which is going to be transferred to another computer in the house. It's really quiet at idol compared to past cards I've had (a 9600, several GTS250s, HD4850), and even under load it remains pretty unnoticeable.

Through experience or data, can you guys suggest cards that are pretty quiet and can replace the 460 with same or greater performance? Also wondering if the other similar Asus cards are worth looking at because I really really like this 460's copper heatsink and super short PCB. Thanks.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking quiet video card
  1. Best answer
    You can take a look at HIS IceQ X 6950, Tom's says is the quietest from 5 6950's which is from MSI, XFX, Gigabyte, Sapphire and of course HIS itself. Look out here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-benchmark,3041-16.html

And 6950 should be a good upgrade from your GTX 460, here is the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161388
  2. Are you a hard core gamer?

I'm running 2 AMD 6800's in xfire w/ the fans on both set to 55% and it is just noticable... My Case is an Antec 600 with ther fans set to medium. My NAS and Laptop are louder than this system.
  3. I looked at the HIS data; can I compare it to the 6950 by Asus because I saw them on these noise charts (THW):
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/2D-Noise,2679.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/3D-Noise,2680.html

And I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer. As long as I can play my games at high settings (with occasional lag), that's fine. I don't need my FPS to be a consistent 60 at ultra high.

My case is an Antec 300 with fans set to low since most of the time I'm just browsing the web or typing something up and would rather not have noise coming from the card.
  4. The IceQ X is very quiet at auto, but it will be noisy when you put the fans on high speeds. But since you are looking for quiet system you can switch it all the time at stock fan speeds (auto).

It should be well in your Antec 300.
  5. Ok, you got me sold on the HIS [6950]. Now will the card last for +2 years? Does HIS generally make cards with quieter stock fans?

That got me to wondering, I have an AM3 board with AMD SB/NB components. Would there be any added benefit to using the [6950]?

Edit: I said 6850 at first, meant 6950. Sry.
  6. Benefits, probably little, AMD isn't making their graphics card faster for their processor, but actually they don't and benefits are sometimes no or little.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'Last' You mean that you don't have to upgrade and stuff like this? Yeah, I think you're save till the 8xxx series. I know it's better to wait for 7870 but the IceQ will probably come out after march or april so I don't think it's a better deal to wait up :).

What do you mean by stock fans? I mean, the IceQ was quiet when set at auto settings, we are not talking about stock coolers/reference coolers here ;).
  7. refillable said:
    I know it's better to wait for 7870 but the IceQ will probably come out after march or april so I don't think it's a better deal to wait up :).

Yeah, I meant that I don't want to upgrade for +2 years without sacrificing graphics quality. If the IceQ 6950 is the one, then I think I'll get it.

How much will the 7870 cost when it comes out? If it's about the same, I can wait a few months for the IceQ version.

refillable said:
    What do you mean by stock fans? I mean, the IceQ was quiet when set at auto settings, we are not talking about stock coolers/reference coolers here ;).

Is HIS IceQ known for making cards with fans that are more quiet at auto settings?
  8. markusaurileus said:
    Yeah, I meant that I don't want to upgrade for +2 years without sacrificing graphics quality. If the IceQ 6950 is the one, then I think I'll get it.
    How much will the 7870 cost when it comes out? If it's about the same, I can wait a few months for the IceQ version.
    Is HIS IceQ known for making cards with fans that are more quiet at auto settings?

Probably the 7870 costs about $300, as I look up at wikipedia. But I think 6950 will be well with you, also you can get the 2GB version so that you will have performance benefits when games at 1080p starts utilizing 2GB of VRAM.

I think HIS IceQ X are designed like that, because at full fan speed, you can hear the noise and the card will be cold.
    And however at auto it is quiet but not that cold, but still be accceptable.
  9. $300? Ouch, a little over my budget lol.

Alright the 6950 by HIS IceQ it is. I'll plan on getting it between now and May if it's still a good decision : D
  10. Best answer selected by MarkusAurileus.
  11. Good luck mate ;).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus Computer Graphics Product