Upgraded PC can't get past BIOS. CPU too hot?

nintoman

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hello,

I invested in a brand new ASUS P8H61-M PRO motherboard, i7-2600 3.4ghz processor and 500w PSU.

This is my first time building my own rig and my knowledge of hardware isn't amazing. I've managed to get it up and running but when it comes to booting up the system automatically restarts and claims the CPU is too hot. In the BIOS it is reading around 54-60 and claims to be an acceptable level. When BIOS restarts the level will read 80+ before creeping back down to an acceptable level. I'm not sure what is causing this and after spending almost £400 I'm trying to find the best solution without throwing too much money away.

Thankyou for your time. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated :)

rvilkman

Distinguished
It does seem like the heatsink is not properly seated. I don't recall if there is a protective film on top of the thermal paste or not with the cooler, but if there was, make sure that is off as well.

Hi, +1 on the thermal paste being wrong on the heatsink, or the heatsink not push all the way onto the MB.

However you cannot reuse heat sink material once it gets hots. You got to remove the old stuff and apply new. Places like newegg carry products like 'artic silver'. visit the artic silver web site and see video on how to apply.

Also, you have your heat sink fan plugged in, and it is blowing air thru the heatsink ? Usually the bios will refuse to start if it can't sense the cpu fan spinning.

Also, make sure you have your voltages set at stock, not overclock. ditto frequencies. An overclock that is too aggressive for your CPU can have these symptoms.

nintoman

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
From what I noticed before applying the heatsink there was thermal paste pre-applied. I figured this would be enough but I'll buy a tube to make sure. I noticed on my old rig the pre-applied paste was all over the heatsink, whereas on this one there are three strips with gaps inbetween. I'd have assumed Intel wouldn't skimp on such an important process, but I will try :)

To my knowledge the fan is working as intended, it is spinning and the BIOS is giving me an RPM.

I am not sure how to set voltages but I shall look in BIOS and see if there is anything I can tweak.

nintoman

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

After watching a video on how to install a motherboard (incase I was missing anything) I realised I hadn't inserted the raisers, thus the heatsink wasn't seated properly, as you mentioned. Thankyou :)

I am now having no overheating problems however the machine is still failing to boot up successfully. Shall I start a new thread?