Does a such graphics card exist ?

Simba91

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hello,

I am looking for a graphics card at least DirectX 9.0 and SM 3.0 compatible. It should be only one slot high AND must accept an external power supply.
I bought a EAH5450 (very low power consumption) => nothing on screen.
My PC is a HP Pavilion with a Lithium-U8LE mobo and it looks like the PCIe 16x is an only 25W one instead of 75W. That's the reason why I need a connector to supply more power to the card. The main PS is a 400W and should be enough for my PC.

Does this graphics card exist ? I found two slots cards with external power supply but no 1 slot. I hope it exists and it will not be too obsolete.

Thanks for your ideas.

Simba91

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I went to the Sparkle site and nothing is told about the power consumption and the external power connector (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/GTS450_D3_2G/news_SPGTS450_D3_en.html)

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
PCI Express slots are 75W. An external power connector is to supplement the 75W the card is supposed to get from its expansion slot. Check your BIOS to ensure it's supplying the correct power.

To answer your question:
XFX hd6770

I don't think you'll find any faster single slot cards (it's faster than a gts450). A quality 400W PSU is enough for that card, but I wouldn't push it on a generic PSU.

Simba91

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thx for your suggestions. PCI bus of HD6770 is 2.1. I read in some topics that this card is backwards compatible for 2.0 (not for 1.x). I guess that my PCIe X16 is not a 2.0 rev (PC released in 2005...). I try to find out what is exacty my PCIe rev.

Simba91

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I would like to believe all of you but I was not able to get working a HD5450 (power cons : 20W, PCIe x16 2.1) (black screen). That's the reason why I would prefer to have an external power connector. Is this behavior common ? In these conditions it is difficult to be sure that a HD6770 will be working.

If your motherboard cannot supply power to a card that doesn't need an external power connector then it will not work with one that does. All PCIE slots have within there specification they supply up to 75W. Believe what you want but if the slot cannot provide power it is faulty and will not work anyway.

Simba91

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thank you Simon. At the moment I have a X600 which is working. It's not clear at all for me why a low consumption card (HD5450) is not working. I saw in a forum that somebody had the same pb and change his card by a model externally powered with two connectors (HD4870). But I am maybe in a wrong way.

Kari

Splendid

google didn't find anything usefull with that model, are you sure that's right?

and if I've understood it correctly, the slot and externall power inputs are supplying power to different parts of the card/chip, so they are electrically isolated from one another, and thus it shouldn't work if the slot isn't giving enough...