Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cant figure out to use temp display NZXT Guardian

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2012 11:27:14 PM

I recently picked up a NZXT Guardian. I cant figure out how to use the temp display the instructions are not that great. Inside the case I have4 different wires one is a molex which turns on the temp gage. The other three wires read , SYS, CPU, HDD. I have no idea where to stick these wires and they are the type of wires that are used for temp reading. Does anyone have any experience with this case and show me the right direction on how to get this temp display to work. I haven't even put anything together yet but i want to get a clear idea how it is done. http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/guardia...

For motherboard I own and ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks again!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 11:43:14 PM

At a guess, those are your sensors

put the Cpu one between the Cpu and heatsink (yes, this will require reseating the Hs and all that involves)
the Sys one pretty much anywhere as an ambient measure
and the Hdd one on your Hdd to read the temps from that,
molex is obviously your power to the unit
Moto
m
l
March 16, 2012 11:49:57 PM

so that means the CPU one will be on top of the thermal paste wedged between that and my cpu cooler. The hdd one can sit right on top of my main hardrive?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 11:54:19 PM

Yup, I'd say that one goes on the metal plate side, seems the best place for it to me,
and yes to the Cpu sensor placement
Moto
m
l

Best solution

September 18, 2013 8:20:39 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Yup, I'd say that one goes on the metal plate side, seems the best place for it to me,
and yes to the Cpu sensor placement
Moto

**NO TO CPU SENSOR PLACEMENT**
Did you read what robotdino304 was asking properly? The advice you confirmed about the CPU sensor placement was incorrect. In fact if you placed the sensor between the CPU and heat sink as he asked it would not let the cooler properly contact the CPU heat spreader and would CAUSE OVERHEATING!. To clarify, your confirmation of advice probably fried his CPU. The only place you are able to put these type of sensors is on the edge of the heat-sink close to the bottom and secure with thermal tape. Also as the heat-sink is transferring the heat from the CPU you would get nearly an identical reading as if it was touching the CPU heat spreader without toasting the CPU.
Most motherboards these days are able to display direct internal CPU temp (also M/B, HDD, VGA) obtained from the bios in windows and this is a much more accurate way to obtain internal CPU temp. In my experience case mounted temp sensors are just a gimmick and usually found on lower end cases to jazz them up a little and quite often cause over heating caused by improper installation by novice users.
!