Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build, need help with Compatible mobo and ram.

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2012 12:48:05 AM

Hello. So for weeks I have been contemplating building my first machine. I was going to buy a gaming computer built for me from a website but I really want to learn to build them myself. Not only to save money, but it really interests me and seems like something I would enjoy.

I have watched a lot of videos on builds and I think I am ready. The only thing I haven't learned much about it compatibility. What I need to look for in a mobo that matches the parts I bought, or what type of Ram I should buy for my system and how much power I need in a power supply. So I am hoping you guys can help me out with these things to get me ready to build!

So, I have decided I will buy my components from NewEgg. I am making a straight up gaming rig as that is what it's going to be used for. I have picked out my Processor, Video Card and Hard Drive. I will go ahead and list on this post those three items and hopefully it's enough so you guys could suggest a good Mobo and Ram, as well as maybe a good power supply. I know these are things I should probably choose myself, which I will in the end, I just need some suggestions of what you think might be best... and most importantly compatible with what I am building. With the RAM, I would at least 8GB of Ram but am up for any suggestions.

Here's what I am getting:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Chipset Manufacturer: AMD
Stream Processors: 2048 Stream Processing Units
DirectX: DirectX 11
OpenGL: OpenGL 4.2
Model #: 21197-00-40G
Item #: N82E16814102961

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Cache: 64MB
Parts: 5 years limited
Labor: 5 years limited
Model #: WD1002FAEX
Item #: N82E16822136533
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Thank you guys in advance, I look forward to any help you can give!

P.S. A modular power supply would also be preferred since I am a new builder and I've heard it will make my life a whole lot easier as far as cable management.
March 17, 2012 1:15:18 AM

Just get an ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI motherboard with the LGA 1155 socket (search LGA 1155) and that should work fine. As far as RAM goes, for your machine just get some 8gbs (2 4gb sticks of G. Skill) You need an operating system, Windows 7 costs $100. Also you might want a RW optical drive. Good luck... i'm jealous of such a good system :D 
m
l

Best solution

March 17, 2012 2:11:37 AM

The best features on socket 1155 motherboards are on boards with the Z68 chip set . This is the controller chip built in to the motherboard
Other compatible chip sets are H61 , H67 , P67 , but Z68 combines everthing those alternates can do and adds a few new functions as well .

Dont be fooled in to thinking paying more for a mb will give you more performance . All Z68 based boards will perform identically [ within a small margin ] . Just buy one that has the features you want

Use this page to determine the wattage of your power supply .
www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Only buy a bronze or higher rated PSU
Seasonic , Corsair , Antec , PC Power and Cooling , Enermax
are all brands I'd recommend
Modular makes some sense in smaller cases but elswhere its not really needed .

Most newer cases have spaces behind the mb to route cables and store unused ones
The Antec 1100 , and P280 are good examples of this
March 17, 2012 2:36:48 PM

Best answer selected by Twinturbo4486.
m
l
Related resources
!