bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I read rumours about amd is releasing piledriver with 10 cores. THere nothing wrong with that but......The thing is if the ipc sucksss then there not really a point. Very few programs uses more then two cores, of course more cores will benefit multitasking and most people that don't game will be fine with that. Since this isn't the 90's anymore and people are using pc's for more then just browsing the internet. I think it's crucial to get ipc up over more then 20-25% above bulldozer so it can be somewhat competive to intel since thats who they are competing against. The whole 10 cores ain't going to cut it. Fact is I have a phenom ii 965 4 core cpu and i can multitask just fine on it even while gaming. So anything really over 6 cores is kinda overkill. I be happy if amd would forget about more cores is better and release a dual and quad core with higher ipc. Then maybe sometime down the road releasing a cpu with more cores without sacrificing ipc. Intel can drop a huge hammer on AMD if they decide to lower their own cpu prices down alot more. I don't think they will do that and I don't think amd will be going anywhere any time soon. I just want them to compete with performance so us as consumers will get better quality. You think intel cpu's are great now imagine how good they would be if they had a competitor competing strong against them. If intel decides to keep their cpu's ipc the same and start matching AMD in cores then there won't be a point in going with AMD.

AMD is trying not to compete with intil by releasing mid range cpu's but even intel mid range cpu's beat out amd. More cores do benefit some programs but even amd having more cores don't really compete against intel quads.

btw i don't really consider module as 2 cores.

I'm also no fanboy or anything close my pc is using a amd cpu right now(phenom ii). I'm not disapointed with my cpu but bulldozer I am and most likely piledriver i will be also.
I have an am3+ motherboard and if AMD doesn't come out with a good cpu on this same socket I'm jumping ships to intel.

let me know your thoughts about this and let me know if my views are wrong about AMD.

notlim981

Distinguished
Well, I've been using this build (my signature) since 2010, and except for SATAIII which I really miss and PCI-e 3.0, I don't see a reason for an upgrade since it does all my stuff, even gaming. As for AMD, they have stated that they are no longer competing agains Intel on the high end CPUs but they will sort of catch some fresh air with the release of Piledriver. I used an Athlon XP on a build I had in the early 2000's and I remember quite well how it smashed the Pentium 4 back in the days, but since AMD bought ATI and started focusing on GPUs, they kinda lost it, and I really hope that their CPUs don't vanish like Cyrix. Please don't get me wrong and don't be mad at me, it's just my personal opinion.

Best regards.