Low power card solution?

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
HI!
I have an older dell computer (optiplex 740, desktop) which only supplies 25 watts of power to the pcie slot. what would be the best card for this machine? the gt 210, which would be free, the gt 520, which would be 30 bucks, or the ati hd 5450? thanks for the input!

DM186

Splendid
I take it your power supply (PSU) is a 300w? The HD 5450 requires a 400w PSU. the GT 520 only requires a 300w PSU. Unless you want to up grade your PSU then the GT 520 is the one. I hope this has help a little. Good luck to ya

DM186

Splendid

Give me sone good info here so I may better myself and figuring out how you are doing this. I am Electrician and a low volt tech. I will catch on. Help me out here. I really want to learn this.

I have seen your post and you are very knowledgeable on the PSU's and I respect you and I hope you will help me out just a little. I like helping OP's too Please bring me up to speed.

I guess I am confused. I don't know where you got the 15w 39w. I can't read or speak German. And how do you know what the watts are just to the PCIe from the 12vrail. I have read on the this but still at a loss. Maybe you have a site I could goto for all the info I am looking for.

I went to the Nvidia site they showed that the GT520 used a min 300wpsu and something about 29w max. At the web page for the 5450 it stated 400w min for that card. What is it I am missing here? Do you under stand what I am asking. I am totaly confused.

If you don't want to help me that's ok I will Post my own thread on the PSU part of toms. and go from there. Sorry this is so long. Have a good one. :pt1cable:

I can't either.
The models are in English , scroll down to the chart that says Furmark 1.6 and you'll see max power draw for the cards.
ATI always seems to give higher power reccomendations than Nvidia, and that's what they are "reccomendations".
Depending on the rest of the components in the system either card could run happily on a 250 watt psu.

DM186

Splendid

Thanks. if you see me make another blunder please be easy on me I burse easy lol ;)