Sign in with
Your question
Closed

8gbs of RAM only 5.61 Available ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 4:01:26 AM

I have 8gbs of RAM and only 5.61 is available is that right ?

More about : 8gbs ram

a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 4:20:12 AM

That depends on several factors.

What OS are you using?

What kind of computer is it?

What kind of graphics system does it have and how much memory does the video system use?

Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:41:15 AM

windows 7 64-bit

What do you mean by kind of computer ?.
My system AMD Phenom II X4. GTX 460 1GB. MSI 870-G46 Motherboard. 8gbs of G-skill 12800 1600 DDR3

JKatwyopc said:

What OS are you using?

What kind of graphics system does it have and how much memory does the video system use?

Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:43:36 AM

JKatwyopc said:

What OS are you using?

heres a picture of it http://tinypic.com/r/2gw6fr5/6
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:43:48 AM

Where exactly are u checking the available RAM?? :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:45:20 AM

http://tinypic.com/r/2gw6fr5/6 from this i was looking at something i forgot what it was now but i just noticed that it said this

$hawn said:
Where exactly are u checking the available RAM?? :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:46:19 AM

Now it says 5.06
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:52:09 AM

abCasPeRR said:
windows 7 64-bit

What do you mean by kind of computer ?.
My system AMD Phenom II X4. GTX 460 1GB. MSI 870-G46 Motherboard. 8gbs of G-skill 12800 1600 DDR3

Meant desktop or laptop. Based on your specs it looks like a desk top.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:53:28 AM

Yeah its a custom built desktop I sent you a picture of where it tells me the available memory. Now it says 5.06

JKatwyopc said:
Meant desktop or laptop. Based on your specs it looks like a desk top.

Score
a c 138 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:53:34 AM

see Physical Memory Allocation in Windows 7and try use msconfig :
- Click Start button
- type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
- Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
if still problem Reseat Ram / CPU .. good luck
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:57:20 AM

Right now its grayed out to 0, when I click it, it says 8192. I press OK then ?

henydiah said:
see Physical Memory Allocation in Windows 7and try use msconfig :
- Click Start button
- type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
- Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
if still problem Reseat Ram / CPU .. good luck

Score
a c 138 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 5:58:36 AM

ok
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:04:03 AM

Ok doing now. 1 question. The CPU not being properly seated could be a reason for it doing that ?

henydiah said:
ok

Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:04:45 AM

AHH! Now I understand what you are looking at. That's the System Information window.

If you'll notice it says you have 8.00 GB of total memory. That's the amount of memory that your computer has available to it before it does anything.

Below that it tells you how much of that total is available to be used by programs that is not already being used by the operting system. In order for the operating system to do it's job it needs to use up some of the total memory. The Available memory is what's left. The available memory will change depending on what your computer is doing. If you run Internet Explorer and open up a buch of windows you will see your memory usage increase(available memory goes down) and when you close windows memory usage will decrease (available memory goes up). That's the operating system just doing it's job.

Your system is working perfectly fine and that memory usage is normal. Stop worrying about it.
a c 201 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:06:48 AM

Read those images carefully, very very carefully.

It says
Installed System memory 8.00 GB
Total System Memory 8.00 GB
Available System memory 5.61 GB

This is an accurate and correct statement, it registered that you had 8GB installed, but 2.39 GB is currently in use by windows and other applications, available memory only refers to non active memory, something could be cache on it but not in use or it could be entirely free, but any memory that is in active use by any running application doesn't count as available.

Your system is fine, your ram is fine and functioning properly.

Edit: Typing a bit slower than normal tonight
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:07:26 AM

abCasPeRR said:
Ok doing now. 1 question. The CPU not being properly seated could be a reason for it doing that ?

If your CPU was not properly seated you wouldn't be able to use the computer because it probably wouldn't even boot up.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:11:04 AM

Ok thanks, as this was my first build and I'm not very familiar with how those things worked. Thanks for the help man really appreciated.

JKatwyopc said:
AHH! Now I understand what you are looking at. That's the System Information window.

If you'll notice it says you have 8.00 GB of total memory. That's the amount of memory that your computer has available to it before it does anything.

Below that it tells you how much of that total is available to be used by programs that is not already being used by the operting system. In order for the operating system to do it's job it needs to use up some of the total memory. The Available memory is what's left. The available memory will change depending on what your computer is doing. If you run Internet Explorer and open up a buch of windows you will see your memory usage increase(available memory goes down) and when you close windows memory usage will decrease (available memory goes up). That's the operating system just doing it's job.

Your system is working perfectly fine and that memory usage is normal. Stop worrying about it.

Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:11:26 AM

Best answer selected by abcasperr.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 11:18:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!