8gbs of RAM only 5.61 Available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
AHH! Now I understand what you are looking at. That's the System Information window.

If you'll notice it says you have 8.00 GB of total memory. That's the amount of memory that your computer has available to it before it does anything.

Below that it tells you how much of that total is available to be used by programs that is not already being used by the operting system. In order for the operating system to do it's job it needs to use up some of the total memory. The Available memory is what's left. The available memory will change depending on what your computer is doing. If you run Internet Explorer and open up a buch of windows you will see your memory usage increase(available memory goes down) and when you close windows...

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
windows 7 64-bit

What do you mean by kind of computer ?.
My system AMD Phenom II X4. GTX 460 1GB. MSI 870-G46 Motherboard. 8gbs of G-skill 12800 1600 DDR3

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

Meant desktop or laptop. Based on your specs it looks like a desk top.

see Physical Memory Allocation in Windows 7and try use msconfig :
- Click Start button
- type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
- Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
if still problem Reseat Ram / CPU .. good luck

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Right now its grayed out to 0, when I click it, it says 8192. I press OK then ?

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
AHH! Now I understand what you are looking at. That's the System Information window.

If you'll notice it says you have 8.00 GB of total memory. That's the amount of memory that your computer has available to it before it does anything.

Below that it tells you how much of that total is available to be used by programs that is not already being used by the operting system. In order for the operating system to do it's job it needs to use up some of the total memory. The Available memory is what's left. The available memory will change depending on what your computer is doing. If you run Internet Explorer and open up a buch of windows you will see your memory usage increase(available memory goes down) and when you close windows memory usage will decrease (available memory goes up). That's the operating system just doing it's job.

Your system is working perfectly fine and that memory usage is normal. Stop worrying about it.

Solution
Read those images carefully, very very carefully.

It says
Installed System memory 8.00 GB
Total System Memory 8.00 GB
Available System memory 5.61 GB

This is an accurate and correct statement, it registered that you had 8GB installed, but 2.39 GB is currently in use by windows and other applications, available memory only refers to non active memory, something could be cache on it but not in use or it could be entirely free, but any memory that is in active use by any running application doesn't count as available.

Your system is fine, your ram is fine and functioning properly.

Edit: Typing a bit slower than normal tonight

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

If your CPU was not properly seated you wouldn't be able to use the computer because it probably wouldn't even boot up.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Ok thanks, as this was my first build and I'm not very familiar with how those things worked. Thanks for the help man really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.