Solved

How to uninstall Windows Media Center

Tags:
  • Media Center
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
January 21, 2013 7:02:25 PM

Hello everyone,
I own a copy of Windows 8 Pro which I bought from Newegg, and I did a clean install on my new computer. I activated Windows, and everything was running perfectly.
I needed to play a dvd, so I requested a key for Windows Media Center, which comes free with the pro version of windows 8. When the key came, I followed their instructions: Search -> Add Features to Windows 8 -> Enter the product key -> Install. The install worked fine, and it restarted.
When it came back up, there was a watermark at the bottom right of my desktop saying, "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center \n Build 9200." Even more annoying, however, is that my copy of Windows 8 suddenly needed to be activated again. When I tried to do so, I got the error code: 0xC004C4AA. I looked this error up, and it turns out that Windows Media Player isn't allowed on my copy because I didn't get it directly from Microsoft.
(Also, I am no longer able to "Add Features to Windows 8" anymore, not that I would be inclined to do that ever again after this.)
This has just been a complete hassle, so my question is, How can I undo adding WMC to my computer, so that it will just go back to how it was?

Thanks,
TMenace

More about : uninstall windows media center

Best solution

January 21, 2013 7:04:58 PM

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features > Windows Media Center
a b * Windows 8
January 21, 2013 7:13:21 PM

Ring Microsoft
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 7:22:45 PM

Soda-88 said:
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features > Windows Media Center

I tried that, but it didn't work. Still has the watermark and can't activate.
m
l
January 21, 2013 7:50:34 PM

For the sake of resolving this thread, here's how I fixed it:

At the command prompt I used the "slui.exe 4" command to re-activate windows.
After that a simple restart got rid of the watermark :) 

Thanks for your answers.
m
l
January 21, 2013 7:50:50 PM

Best answer selected by TennisTheMenace.
m
l
June 27, 2013 7:57:05 PM

Here is how I got around this problem: http://lukesdyer.info/techie-tricks/how-to-downgrade-fr...

TennisTheMenace said:
Hello everyone,
I own a copy of Windows 8 Pro which I bought from Newegg, and I did a clean install on my new computer. I activated Windows, and everything was running perfectly.
I needed to play a dvd, so I requested a key for Windows Media Center, which comes free with the pro version of windows 8. When the key came, I followed their instructions: Search -> Add Features to Windows 8 -> Enter the product key -> Install. The install worked fine, and it restarted.
When it came back up, there was a watermark at the bottom right of my desktop saying, "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center \n Build 9200." Even more annoying, however, is that my copy of Windows 8 suddenly needed to be activated again. When I tried to do so, I got the error code: 0xC004C4AA. I looked this error up, and it turns out that Windows Media Player isn't allowed on my copy because I didn't get it directly from Microsoft.
(Also, I am no longer able to "Add Features to Windows 8" anymore, not that I would be inclined to do that ever again after this.)
This has just been a complete hassle, so my question is, How can I undo adding WMC to my computer, so that it will just go back to how it was?

Thanks,
TMenace

m
l
!