They more or less combine. In a stock Dell case, ventilation might be an issue, but I have a G92 GeForce GTS250 that runs really really really hot, so what I would do is get something like MSI Afterburner, which lets you control the fan speed on the card. It is also a 2 slot card, which helps ventilation.

Also, if you are that worried, you can just leave the side panel off of the case to allow for maximum ventilation.

4745454b

Titan
You don't "need" a 500W PSU. AMD only says that because of all the junk/sub standard PSUs that are out there. The TDP of the 4890 is ~200W. Assuming a 95W quad CPU and system draw is ~350W. Cutting it REALLY close with that 430W, but it should be fine. It can output its rated power.

+1 AMD say 500W to allow for PSU manufacturers who label a PSU as 500W because thats the peak power while Antec rates theres at the continuous power. Also for modern GPUs the power supply should be able to supply 80% or more power to the 12V rail while a cheap 700W one I have can supply less than half of that to the 12V rails making it effectively for any useful purpose in a modern PC around a 350W PSU. Compare this to my Corsair TX750 750W which can supply 744W to the 12V rail.

woody213

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Never liked Ultra power supplies but if the specs are correct than you have plenty of power. However that power supply only comes with 1 PCIe 6 pin connector. Your card uses 2. I know most cards come with Molex to PCIe adapters I just don't trust them.

festerovic

Distinguished
woody213, I agree with distrusting them at first, but I've been using two of them on 1 rig and 1 of them on another, for over 1.5 years now, and no problems with GPUs or mobo. I'd like to know if there's some science to our distrust though.

scm1994

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
So, I got the video card today, and slid it in my case just to make sure it fits. It was a tight fit, but it slid in there. However, my case is just a basic dell case, and for some reason, I wasn't able to secure the video card down. So would I be able to use the card even if it isn't secured down?

+1 totally agreed what AMD specifies is generally way over requirements but oftentimes you can get away with a quality lower wattage unit. For example I have a backup rig running a Antec Earthwatts 380w psu running an oc'ed p2 955 and and oc'ed 6850 without a hitch, it has a combined 28 amps on the 12v rail I believe, i just saying you cant go by what amd says

gungyoshi

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
A 4890 can eat up to 370W on full load, and that's a reference model not an OC edition. I have a 500W powersupply and i am barely scraping through. I would reccomend at least a 550W.

Also tdp doesn't equal power consumption, a processor with a tdp of 125W for instance, like a X4 955 can use up to 250W under load and then you still need to compensate for usb devices, pci and pci-e cards, hdd's and opticals, case fans and memory modules.

Luckily my stider essentials 500W can withstand peaks up to 600W, otherwise i would be in trouble, but I am buying a 750W soon for crossfire. Running your PSU over its limits is not a good idea if you are doing it frequently.